Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:24:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin crashes when those investing realise 2 things  (Read 10411 times)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:00:43 PM

Ok... If OP is actually not trolling, I think what he/she is failing to understand (or failing to intuit) is that the private key controlling 1 BTC, currently 100,000,000 base units (satoshis), will always control those base units and any they're divided up into down the road. Divide the current base unit by a million, and the private key to 1 BTC now controls 100,000,000,000,000 base units. Since that's happening for everybody at the same time, the system retains the *exact* balance between all holders of bitcoin that it had before; ie, no price changes, no scarcity change.

My percentage of the whole doesn't change. Neither does anyone else's.

OP, are you saying that you think people would still demand the same number of base units for a good after a divisibility change is made? Imagine that for a sec... Say I'm selling a GPU for 1 BTC = 100,000,000 base units. We increase divisibility by a million. Are you saying I'd sell that GPU for 100,000,000 of the new base units, ie: 0.000001 BTC? Despite the fact that everyone still holds the same quantity of BTC as before the split, and despite the fact that there are the same quantity of resources in the economy?

It's all about percentages.

PS: If you're trolling, nice work... But that's the last you're getting out of me. I'm done here.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:03:07 PM

Um... You'd starve, too.  Huh

The desert island is a metaphor for being ignorant. I can leave any time I want.
Oh. So in this metaphor, you're willfully ignorant?  Tongue
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:03:47 PM

Um... You'd starve, too.  Huh

The desert island is a metaphor for being ignorant. I can leave any time I want.
Oh. So in this metaphor, you're willfully ignorant?  Tongue
Yes, the same reason I'm even posting in this thread, lol.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:12:31 PM

Let's say we're stranded on a desert island. I have a cheeseburger and you and 3 other guys are very hungry.

After negotiating for some time, it becomes clear that you all want the cheeseburger, and you're willing to trade every possession on your person for it. I, being the generous guy that I am, decide to cut it into 4 equal pieces and trade one to each of you, for 1/4 of your original offer.

The 3 other guys immediately agree to these terms and begin scarfing down their share of the burger. You, however, insist that I now have 4 burgers, so the burger as a whole is worth less, and refuse to pay the price (which you just a moment ago agreed to).

I sell the remaining piece of the burger to one of the other guys and you die of starvation.

The end.

+1

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:13:45 PM

Bitcoin cultists talk of individual Bitcoins being worth hundreds of thousands of dollars eventually,  which would mean very few people would ever own a whole Bitcoin and so would see their Bitcoin wealth expressed as sub units of a Bitcoin. Now let's say that it is decided that instead of 100M, that a bitcoin can now be divided into 1 billion sub units. As a result those people who hold any number of whole Bitcoins can buy 10x as much Bitcoin wealth from those who only have Bitcoin fractions. Goods priced in Bitcoins would obviously adjust, but there would be a period in which the imbalance would leave those with whole Bitcoins with a massive increase in purchasing power.

Dollar cultists talk of individual "Million-dollars" being worth millions of dollars eventually,  which would mean very few people would ever own a whole "Million-dollars" and so would see their "Million-dollar" wealth expressed as sub units of a "Million-dollars". Now let's say that it is decided that instead of 100M, that a "Million-dollars" can now be divided into "Cents". As a result those people who hold any number of whole "Million-dollars" can buy 10x as much "Million-dollar" wealth from those who only have "Dollars". Goods priced in "Million-dollars" would obviously adjust, but there would be a period in which the imbalance would leave those with whole "Million-dollars" with a massive increase in purchasing power.

Yeah, dude, millionaires and billionaires can buy more stuff than me.  No duh.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:19:45 PM

Which statement is true:

A) 1 btc < (.5 btc + .5 btc)
B) 1 btc = (.5 btc + .5 btc)
C) 1 btc > (.5 btc + .5 btc)

Buy & Hold
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:19:55 PM

1. The fact that only 21 million coins can be mined (assuming that does not get altered) is irrelevant when they can be sliced up into 100,000,000 sub units.

2. That there have already been discussions about increasing the divisibility.

When exchanges start working in sub units it may dawn on people that the scarcity argument used to promote Bitcoin is disingenuous rubbish.

I'm not one to criticize anyone... but damn, this has gotta be the stupidest statement I've ever heard from I hope an otherwise intelligent individual.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:54:15 PM

1. The fact that only 21 million coins can be mined (assuming that does not get altered) is irrelevant when they can be sliced up into 100,000,000 sub units.

When exchanges start working in sub units it may dawn on people that the scarcity argument used to promote Bitcoin is disingenuous rubbish.

I'm not one to criticize anyone... but damn, this has gotta be the stupidest statement I've ever heard from I hope an otherwise intelligent individual.
I think the statement itself negates the possibility of intelligence.
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:06:00 PM

oil sheik who hate the US dollar , and will trade oil in btc if it has Enough mass.
just a matter of time.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:31:54 PM

All this talk of integer math... seems so redundant.

The decimal number system quite happily has no problem with the concept of there being 21m BTC, the software at the moment only shows 9 digits of precision past the decimal point. In future it may need to show more. Nothing changes.

The idea that there are suddenly more units is just a red herring.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:36:19 PM

The idea that there are suddenly more units is just a red herring.

Of course that was the intent of the OP.  He has jumped from one reason why Bitcoin will fail to another.  Strange how much time he spends on a forum devoted to the thing he "knows" will fail.

A troll is as a troll does.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:44:11 PM

First: OP is possibly trolling.

Second: I'm nonetheless surprised by the response in here, which universally seems to say that increasing divisibility cannot possibly alter the valuation of each "individual" bitcoin.

I'm not sure it's that simple. Time for a thought experiment.

Let's assume, instead of a fixed number of decimal places, i.e. a fixed degree of divisibility, divisibility is permanently growing, say: 1 additional decimal place per day; each day, the number of sub-units increases by factor 10.

Does this still not influence the valuation of the base unit?

From a formal point of view, it shouldn't make a difference, I suppose (although I suspect calculating future values of the base unit, which necessarily equals the sum of the subunits, might become more difficult). However, keep in mind that the valuation of any object is determined by the market, and I am not at all sure if the idea of the number of subunits tending towards infinity will not affect the valuation of the base unit.

Thought experiment over.

Nobody proposed that divisibility should increase constantly, of course. But I propose that, if the market had reason to believe that divisibility could be increased at will, it might after all have a similar reaction as in my 'infinite divisibility' scenario above.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:51:25 PM

First: OP is possibly trolling.

Second: I'm nonetheless surprised by the response in here, which universally seems to say that increasing divisibility cannot possibly alter the valuation of each "individual" bitcoin.

I'm not sure it's that simple. Time for a thought experiment.

Let's assume, instead of a fixed number of decimal places, i.e. a fixed degree of divisibility, divisibility is permanently growing, say: 1 additional decimal place per day; each day, the number of sub-units increases by factor 10.

Does this still not influence the valuation of the base unit?

From a formal point of view, it shouldn't make a difference, I suppose (although I suspect calculating future values of the base unit, which necessarily equals the sum of the subunits, might become more difficult). However, keep in mind that the valuation of any object is determined by the market, and I am not at all sure if the idea of the number of subunits tending towards infinity will not affect the valuation of the base unit.

Thought experiment over.

Nobody proposed that divisibility should increase constantly, of course. But I propose that, if the market had reason to believe that divisibility could be increased at will, it might after all have a similar reaction as in my 'infinite divisibility' scenario above.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

No.  Bitcoin could support infinite digits using floating point numbers.  This would probably be bad for a lot of technical reasons but it doesn't change the value of the whole units.
1.0 = 1.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Most gold coins are minted in 1 oz down to 1/10 oz denominations.  With improved technology it would be possible to mint smaller coins say 1/50 oz or 1/200 oz coins.   Would a 1/200 oz coin on the market make the price of gold fall? 

The US government currently issues pennies as the smallest sub unit of the dollar. As a cost saving measure say they ended the penny (as other countries have already done).  The divisbility of a dollar would be reduced by a factor of 5x from 1/100th of a dollar to 1/20th of a dollar.  Do you think that would increase the purchasing power of a dollar? Would you expect prices on the shelves fall to 1/5th their current price?
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:52:40 PM

Lol. Divisibility doesnt mean the price wont go to the same price. If it werent ultra-divisible, the price would be like $10 because no one would want a coin that can only divide down to, say, $1 of buying power.
lerelerele

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

In the real world selling sonmething that is not gold when you want to sell more you will receive less, but gold, if you have 1.000.000$ in gold you will receive the real price of gold and if you want to sell less you will receive less money percentually.

Which statement is true:

A) 1 btc < (.5 btc + .5 btc)
B) 1 btc = (.5 btc + .5 btc)
C) 1 btc > (.5 btc + .5 btc)

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:08:29 PM

Knowing that a dollar bill can be divided into 100 pennies does not change my opinion of dollars.

And what if it was decided one day that it could be divided into 1000?

Dividing a dollar into 1000 (or even 1,000,000) is not the same thing as debasement. Not the same thing at all. Just think about it for a while.

No, but for the sake of argument we are assuming that the dollar is like Bitcoin and limited to a certain number of dollar units.

So dollars are limited to a certain number of dollar units?  That makes this hard to explain:

So, would your criticism of the dollar be made moot if a superdollar was created which was worth say 1 million normal dollars?

Where did I criticize the dollar?  I only showed a graph that indicates the number of dollar units has been drastically increasing, which directly contradicted your claim.

But, let's assume I did.  Making a 1 million dollar bill would not be any different from 1 million $1 bills other than it is slightly cheaper to produce and move around.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:21:23 PM

No.  Bitcoin could support infinite digits using floating point numbers.  This would probably be bad for a lot of technical reasons but it doesn't change the value of the whole units.
1.0 = 1.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Most gold coins are minted in 1 oz down to 1/10 oz denominations.  With improved technology it would be possible to mint smaller coins say 1/50 oz or 1/200 oz coins.   Would a 1/200 oz coin on the market make the price of gold fall? 

The US government currently issues pennies as the smallest sub unit of the dollar. As a cost saving measure say they ended the penny (as other countries have already done).  The divisbility of a dollar would be reduced by a factor of 5x from 1/100th of a dollar to 1/20th of a dollar.  Do you think that would increase the purchasing power of a dollar? Would you expect prices on the shelves fall to 1/5th their current price?

Is reading semi-carefully really that much effort?

How does

address the point I made here

From a formal point of view, it shouldn't make a difference, [...]. However, keep in mind that the valuation of any object is determined by the market, and I am not at all sure if the idea of the number of subunits tending towards infinity will not affect the valuation of the base unit.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
impulse

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:28:01 PM

From a formal point of view, it shouldn't make a difference, [...]. However, keep in mind that the valuation of any object is determined by the market, and I am not at all sure if the idea of the number of subunits tending towards infinity will not affect the valuation of the base unit.

I am 100% sure. The precision will only change if the smallest unit becomes worth an impractically large amount of money, ie. the smallest unit is too large to make small purchases. This will in no way alter the value of larger sub-units/units.

Edit: Let me also say that I DO live in a country that has removed the penny from circulation and it in no way impacted the value of my money. If the smallest unit of bitcoin becomes impractical, people will welcome the change and it will only increase the value of the system.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:33:46 PM

address the point I made here

Simple.  It doesn't.  People ALREADY spend fractional Bitcoins.  Do you believe that making smaller gold coins will devalue gold?  Do you believe that eliminating the penny will raise the purchasing power of the dollar?  

Of course you already know the later two examples are utterly stupid.  Nobody would think that.   Nobody watching the news and hearing the penny is going to be taken out of circulation will for a second think that makes their $1 bill worth more.   However you believe that the reverse is true and those people will exist in such numbers and with such purchasing power to effect the market to a significant degree.  Well if it does happen I will welcome it as it would be a flash crash which transfers billions of dollars of wealth from the stupid to the at least marginally intelligent.  I am not going to hold my breath being able to get cheap coins though.

Still if you believe that fine but you haven't shown any proof that this "dubious thinking" has affected any other markets ever, however somehow (because you want it to be?) Bitcoin will be different.  Still if you are really worried, the good news is I seriously doubt Bitcoin will need to expand the precision in our lifetime (if ever).   It would require a hard fork and if enough people believe the nonsense in this thread then there will be enough resistance that no consensus and thus hard fork will occur.   Even under a "one coin to rule them all" scenario it is dubious if 8 digits will prove insufficient, under any other scenario a satoshi will have such little purchasing power there will be no need for further subdivision.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:37:27 PM

He has jumped from one reason why Bitcoin will fail to another.  Strange how much time he spends on a forum devoted to the thing he "knows" will fail.

Yeah, the other day he was banging on about this 'Bitcoin's defacto central bank' idea. I think he gave up on that one, and tried something new today.

Though I must say I'm surprised OP has appeared today on a bull price day. Usually he only pops up on correction days to say 'told you so', then when it goings up again promptly disappears.  Cheesy

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: