Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:55:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BOYCOTT all businesses associated to Alex Waters, Matt Mellon, and Yifu Guo!  (Read 16680 times)
GodfatherBond

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:29:36 PM

I really hope that Bitcoin gore dev team stays against about privacy violations or if not I hope all miners reject all plans supporting this kind of development lines possibly planned for.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:39:28 PM

I really hope that Bitcoin gore dev team stays against about privacy violations or if not I hope all miners reject all plans supporting this kind of development lines possibly planned for.

This is not a change to the Bitcoin Protocol, miners (or just people running fully-validating wallet and relay nodes) cannot affect this move. Although some kind of protocol integration will no doubt be proposed by someone or other.

Vires in numeris
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:45:43 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=224296.0
Maciek

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:52:39 PM

Replicated here for discussion:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

This service is extremely dangerous as it undermines one of the key characteristics of Bitcoin as a MONEY: their complete fungibility. Further, since all Bitcoin transactions are public and pseudonymity given by opaque addresses is our ONLY financial privacy protection, services like this should be considered a direct and malicious attack on Bitcoin system.

I suppose the CORRECT response of the community should be to BOYCOTT any business that even remotely associates itself with this evil spynet.

+1

Did they lost their minds? They want to steal from legally obtained btc? Crazy, dangerous people.
GodfatherBond

Activity: 264

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:04:19 AM

This is not a change to the Bitcoin Protocol, miners (or just people running fully-validating wallet and relay nodes) cannot affect this move. Although some kind of protocol integration will no doubt be proposed by someone or other.
People can choose which version they run / install and in the worst case Bitcoin will be forged / split in two versions. Privacy violating and altered new which sure will arise. However, it could be also end of bitcoin. I hope this craziness will be taken seriously and whole community will stand against this kind of changes. Im not sure where the biggest pools are located, they will have the power to choose.
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:17:31 AM

Why is anyone surprised by this, if you know Bitcoins history this is just one of many steps to come. It will be a step by step process. Finger printing ATM's was another one. I can buy anything i want without providing a hand scan, bitcoin at the atm is the only exception.

Bitcoin history facts:

2009-01-03 18:15:05 Historic moment Genesis block created
2009-01-13 18:20:08 50 coins where mined
2009-01-16 19:18:35 those 50 coins where sent to address 12higDjoCCNXSA95xZMWUdPvXNmkAduhWv
a total of 77,624 BTC  where received at this address until 2011-06-04 then cashed out
http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=I}ruid
http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=I}ruid&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Quote from: franky1 on October 16, 2013, 02:50:53 AM
|}ruid is Dustin trammell

Dustin D. Trammell
 I am both I)ruid and I}ruid.  I)ruid is the correct spelling.  I use the alternate I}ruid spelling on IRC due to the IRC protocol not allowing the close-parenthesis character ")" to be used in nicknames.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=23696,  yes VIP status with a registration date of June 2011

HD Moore,  Dustin D. Trammell and Tod Beardsley,  all co-founded AHA! (the Austin Hackers Association) many years ago.  All three still attend monthly meetings.
AHA is a white had hacker group that is Government friendly (Cahoots) and a hacker against the hacker.

HD Moore: Information security researcher and programmer, Moore developed security software utilities for the United States Department of Defense.
Dustin D. Trammell:  Entrepreneur, Security Researcher performing research within the fields of vulnerability exploitation, network protocols, steganography and covert communications, and Internet telephony
Tod Beardsley:  Technical Lead for the Metasploit Framework and Metasploit Pro, Founded Austin Hackers Anonymous  August 2006

Straight talk a US Government Snitch

Now depending of your view point you could ask is it a surprise that DPR is where he is?  Was SR past its use-by date and has served its purpose.
To Alternative coins look attractive with 100% knowledge from the start who is behind it and is truly decentralized.
With this known affiliated friendliness to the DOD Bitcoin is tainted to say the leased from the very beginning.
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:25:01 AM

I'm not sure you can gather enough info from this article to legitimize the personal attacks.  Then again, this behavior isn't surprising on bitcointalk.  

These guys have done a lot of development for the bitcoin community.  They are actually very nice people.  I used to work with 2 of them regularly.

I'm not saying this project is a good or bad idea.  I'm looking forward to hearing more info.

Slow your roll.   Roll Eyes
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:26:04 AM

Not sure  Roll Eyes, but maybe this is where genjix gets his dresses: http://hanleymellon.com/

I'm on the fence with this one, albeit leaning toward, "Mongo no like!"

Your opinion means very little to me.

You have shown you can & have been bought to keep silent on BFL's doings.

You will be bought again,the going price ATM is 10BTC  Angry

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:28:38 AM

“This needs to exist for regulators to approve of use of Bitcoin in the U.S.,” says Waters. “We don’t want to be the sheriff of the Bitcoin community. We just want to create an ecosystem of clean addresses.”

In the short term, they talk about a limited database that keeps track only of registered identities and their activities with participating companies, but it’s obvious that their ambitions are grander and that a longer term prospect is to take advantage of the transparency of the Bitcoin system to keep track of which Bitcoin is tainted by associations with black markets. Waters says that the development of that aspect will depend on “community feedback.”

can we stop this?

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:35:21 AM

can we stop this?
Yes, but not by negotiating with every fool who attempts it, for there are far too many fools in the world.  I've personally talked two startups out of similar business models in the past.

We can stop this by making sure that its not viable, by tweaking our practices and the ecosystem to be an environment that things like this just can't work in. This means: Anonymous mining, Discouraging address reuse, coinjoin, etc.  Importantly, people need to step up and fund the development of privacy tools.  Today there is no business model for decenteralized privacy tools that people can use casually and thus pervasively.

We must vote with our wallets— not our spending, but how we choose to transact and what developments we fund. As a spending group the people who really realize the importance of privacy and fungiblity will always be a small enough minority that short-sighted business people will find it all too easy to go without their business.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 12:48:06 AM

Just wow... instead of fighting for the right of freedom those guys are trying to give our privacy away on a golden plate. Enough is enough. Stop to obey, start to think on your own.

p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:48:20 AM

boycott!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:48:42 AM

People can choose which version they run / install and in the worst case Bitcoin will be forged / split in two versions. Privacy violating and altered new which sure will arise. However, it could be also end of bitcoin. I hope this craziness will be taken seriously and whole community will stand against this kind of changes. Im not sure where the biggest pools are located, they will have the power to choose.

But that's not what this is. In some ways, this is worse than a client/blockchain fork. At least the differing market price for Bitcoin and TaintCoin would help to settle the fight. Any Bitcoin based business would then have to choose which of the coins to support, and watch how much custom they receive from each if they choose both.

This CoinValidation group is the beginnings of a way to gradually force customers to disclose their identities, not via the protocol, but by good old fashioned legislation.

Vires in numeris
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:52:24 AM

“This needs to exist for regulators to approve of use of Bitcoin in the U.S.,” says Waters. “We don’t want to be the sheriff of the Bitcoin community. We just want to create an ecosystem of clean addresses.”

In the short term, they talk about a limited database that keeps track only of registered identities and their activities with participating companies, but it’s obvious that their ambitions are grander and that a longer term prospect is to take advantage of the transparency of the Bitcoin system to keep track of which Bitcoin is tainted by associations with black markets. Waters says that the development of that aspect will depend on “community feedback.”

can we stop this?

It was inevitable that organizations would try to build databases of names & coin addresses.
For every one that is announced publicly there will be 10 that are done secretly.

The only way to ensure anonymity is the development of technical solutions. Many people won't bother using them, yet some people will consider anonymizing tools essential. It will be a personal choice, similar to the choice facing users of the WWW.

We can stop this by making sure that its not viable, by tweaking our practices and the ecosystem to be an environment that things like this just can't work in. This means: Anonymous mining, Discouraging address reuse, coinjoin, etc.  Importantly, people need to step up and fund the development of privacy tools.  Today there is no business model for decenteralized privacy tools that people can use casually and thus pervasively.

Fully agree.

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:15:07 AM

No one is going to use a version of the blockchain that is easily tracked, so they will just spur on zerocoin adoption in the main client.

They're welcome to lose money trying to do so.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:52:08 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 04:58:52 AM by Impaler

You libertarians are just crazy, your whole focus on wrapping your self in secrecy and eliminating any accountability in society you create the very Dystopia you fear.  To stretch a metaphor from TLOTR (a better work of fiction then anything Ann Rand ever wrote btw), your think passing out copies of the one ring will make the world a better place because the common man will somehow be 'equal' to elites.  Equally unaccountable and equally likely to abuse that power I think (you know even Frodo succumbs to the temptation, because you know know power corrupts etc etc).  If you want a world free of abuse of power then you can't fight fire with fire, you need universal accountability and transparency so abuse of power can be seen by everyone rather then fester in the shadows.  

And seriously of all the realms of our lives were privacy might be justified, out financial and business transactions are the last ones that are deserving of privacy.  I would really expect more libertarians to understand how markets work, they require information and the more the better.  Information asymmetry between two parties makes a fair meeting of the minds impossible and thus leads to market inefficiency.

See David Brin (my favorite author btw) on the subject of privacy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transparent_Society  And
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/02.06.97/cover/brin1-9706.html

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Rez

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:40:57 AM

Remember a couple of years ago all the conspiracy theorists were talking about one world currency, one world government, chips, all that stuff? Every day Bitcoin looks more and more similar to it. Sometimes I think we have been tricked into using a currency that offers us no privacy at all.

Yeah we may become insanely rich, but there is a price we pay for it.

They're still talking about it.  And the Build-a-Bears.

If it will help you sleep better at night, though, I have a Bitcoin Wastebasket in my profile. Keep the Internet clean. Wink

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
biggie

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:42:27 AM

Why worry about those clowns ? That whole bitcoin foundation idea is just a get-rich-scheme for whoever joins it on the longterm. Compare it to politicians trying to create solutions for non-existing problems. Community should just ignore them and let them whawle.  You think they give a shit about bitcoin or principles ? I believe most if not all are trying to find ways to use (read: abuse) bitcoin for their own agendas.

Only thing everyone needs to know is; change bitcoin for the worse and it'll go up in smoke making people choose an alternative coin, period
exapted

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:22:14 AM

Coin Validation and similar companies are an extension of the state's drug war into the private sector. If the drug war did not exist, companies like Coin Validation would not exist. A transparent society does not mean a society that is designed from the ground up for state coercion. Currently, we live in a world society with too much surveillance and not enough sousveillance. Generally, the more the state influences the economy, the less wealth is created. Boycott these guys.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:13:46 AM

Isn't a minor version of coinvalidation already active?
All the biggest exchanges require id verification , so basically they can easy link a person to an amount of coins and an address.

Now can somebody please explain if this validation is "designed" for the coins or for the addresses?
Because if it's the later, the plan is quite simple to be put in motion.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄