Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:33:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you finally cash out when BTC hits $1,000?
Yes I will cash out completely - 51 (13.2%)
No I will hold my entire balance - 334 (86.8%)
Total Voters: 385

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will You Sell when BTC Hits $1,000?  (Read 9689 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:59:49 PM

I didn't add the option to cash out partially because i want to know how many people are bailing at $1,000.  

I know most people will cash out partially...

Its honestly the most difficult question on earth right now for me.  Its obvious as we approach $500 that this is going to be an issue on the table for all of us.

How does one look at thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of dollars earned on the most risky investment known to mankind, and not "Grab" it and run?

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Arksun

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:04:10 PM

A large part of such a decision depends on just how many Bitcoins a person has and when they bought them, this will vary greatly giving a very different perspective on the price.

As for myself,someone who got into Bitcoins far too late and own very little, I will of  course be holding and hoping it skyrockets long term.

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:11:11 PM

there is definitely going to be a crash around 1,000k.. i've never seen so many people say they are going cash out (at 1k). there's even a sitewide celebration/party going on.
s2ck

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:26:44 PM

guess 1,000$ / BTC will have a huge psychological impact.
i predict a lot people to cash out.
the far more important question is, will they get in again as they see price hitting support levels (and rising even higher than 1k)?
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:28:10 PM

Sheesh... that is the wrong question.

The right question is, is the current price of Bitcoin, be it $1000 or $10,000 above it's true market value?

Then act accordingly.
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:42:18 PM

Sheesh... that is the wrong question.

The right question is, is the current price of Bitcoin, be it $1000 or $10,000 above it's true market value?

Then act accordingly.

Well since nobody knows the answer to that question, the second question, which we can answer, is how many people will bail at $1,000  Smiley

BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:44:10 PM

Don't forget .........

CAPITAL GAINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a dude is holding 350 bitcoins and makes $350,000 ......

Some such dudes are going to have to give $100,000 of it to the government "just because" ....

Maybe the correct question is, how many people are applying for citizenship in Germany right now?  Smiley

cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:51:10 PM

I voted no and Im happy to see the "holds" are leading the "cashouts" at a 4-1 ratio, that bodes well IMO
Alty

Activity: 714

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:55:44 PM

It seems like there is a clear cycle of people buying holding and selling; once a multiple return on initial investment is made they cashout, and understandably so.

Every time the earlier adopters reach a psychological barrier and cash out a large number of coins, they do so because they see their initial investment reach a pre-determined valuation that is deemed "the number that will lead to happiness or financial freedom or good return on initial investment etc".  

But the fact that these people cash out makes it more interesting for the latecomers and everybody else still holding BTC because the bitcoins get more and more dispersed and broken down into smaller denominations amongst a now larger population, but the BTC are now more valuable and are still in demand.

So for example when the people holding 1000 bitcoins today see it hit $1000 in the future - They cash out to get their hands on $1million. Quite an achievement!

But then there are less people holding 1000 bitcoins as they are dispersed into many different wallets.

Then the people holding 100 BTC wait for the price to hit $10000/BTC so they can cash out and enjoy owning $1million.

This is what is really happening imo.

People hitting their pre determined barrier (initial investment vs risk vs future return) they decide to cash out and now the next wave of investors get involved and the cycle repeats over and over again as the price goes up.

Of course this is happening every second of the day, which is fuelling the rise in value against fiat; people reaching personal goals or limits.

That is perhaps the magic of this system and when is it going to stop? Never?
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:29:46 PM

I love these posts. Will you cash out when it reaches x? Cash out into what? I'm still cashing into BTC because I prefer that over the governments monopoly money. I keep out what I need to live, I don't have any expenses currently I need to cash out for. Only play with what you can afford to lose.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
beetcoin

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:31:51 PM

Don't forget .........

Some such dudes are going to have to give $100,000 of it to the government "just because" ....

Maybe the correct question is, how many people are applying for citizenship in Germany right now?  Smiley

yeah, capital gains is a killer. i guess selling in-person, bit by bit may be an option to cover paper trails.
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:48:49 PM

Right now I am selling about 20% of my coins I earn from my shop thread every 5-7 days. I did a large cash out already, so I won't be doing any big cashout any time soon again.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
kriwest

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:57:33 PM

I would prefer never to have to cash out... I'd rather have services pop up so that I can purchase things with my BTC directly.
Maaaybe (but just maybe) I'll cash out my initial investment when 1 BTC is valued at that price, just to "freeroll" the rest of the way.. but not even that's certain.

I mean... I don't see bitcoin as a "get rich quick" scheme or a ponzi that I buy into to eventually get out before the ship sinks. I see it as a potential future disruptive technology.. in which case.. why would I ever cash out?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:02:30 PM

Don't forget .........

One could claim that they sold at a lost, and offer up Hitler videos as proof. And, if it goes to trial...

Judge: Court will take a 30 minute recess, for I just pissed my robe.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:06:20 PM

If the price of Bitcoin ever gets that high that's when hyperinflation will have finally hit.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:20:38 PM

I'll sell some when I need/want the USD I'll get in return if I can't just spend it directly.  I don't have a specific exchange rate target.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
beetcoin

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:29:01 PM

Don't forget .........

actually, the number is $100,00 maximum. it's assuming that you got your 350 bitcoins at or near "free." since there is no way to prove how much you paid for your bitcoins, it would make for a huge mess for IRS purposes.
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:35:59 PM

guess 1,000$ / BTC will have a huge psychological impact.
i predict a lot people to cash out.

So like the 100$ mark?
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#igDailyzczsg2013-01-01zeg2013-04-18ztgSzm1g10zm2g25

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Rez

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:59:28 PM

I will cash 1BTC and spend it frivolously. And cling to the rest tenaciously.

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:02:30 AM

If you really do make a ton of money with Bitcoin as an American, you should move for a year to the Emirates where all forms of personal income, salaries, capital gains are tax free.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: