Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Pick 3 of the most distinguishing features of a scam ICO?  
Team Identity Theft - 23 (24.7%)
Poor Online Presence - 9 (9.7%)
Unrealistic Claims - 15 (16.1%)
Lack Info In WhitePaper - 15 (16.1%)
Token Structure Disproportionately Favours Development Team - 6 (6.5%)
Empty GitHub Repositories - 9 (9.7%)
Unrealistic Claims - 11 (11.8%)
No Escrow Account - 2 (2.2%)
No KYC or AML - 3 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the distinguishing features of a scam ICO?  (Read 543 times)
bandar

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 12:27:46 PM

How about: fabricating a team of people who probably don't exist, create a linkedin profile for them.  Act like they are major players in the financial/crypto scene but aren't to be found anywhere else on the internet.  My estimation at the moment is that about 80-90% of ico's are scams.  We need regulations and mandatory KYC of the whole team is one of them.
bitgoldpanther1978

Activity: 381
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:32:23 PM

Hey everyone,
Would love to get a show of hands for the most distinguishing features of a scam ICO Huh.

Let's educate each other by picking your 3

-The CoinRating Team
If they are not giving any update in the ICO project, or the campaign manager even the team are not updating us, whether in telegram, Twitter, and in bitcoin forum, it is considerable scam for me.
Mr.Binss

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:39:53 PM

I think you can check how the escrow releases funds. Scam ICOs are likely to release all funds towards development while genuine projects have proper planning regarding funds distribution, with specific percentages going to various aspects of project development such as escrow fees and others.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:48:59 PM

Anything that says get xxx% return in just blabla weeks!
look up the team, do they have legit linkedin pages? do you find them on social media, do they show that they're the real team?
you can also reverse image search their pictures.

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
AdamSv

Activity: 189
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 12:53:40 PM

Many empty and nothing not backed by facts words. If the project does not have anything and they promise gold mountains, it is most likely a Scam.
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 09:39:47 PM

There are so many exploitation about ICO that would lead into scams. Unregulated are some factors and the easy creation of token from Ethereum's ERC-20 compliant also contributed the proliferation of some fraudulent ICOs. Identity theft, unreasonable claims and unfair distribution of token which favors on the side of the team  are some indicators you can easily identify that these ICOs are scams.
nakamote

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

WINSTARS - We are changing the face of gambling

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 10:32:04 PM

Identity thefts,github repository is empty or inactive,then the online presence is poor, thee are the main things we should look for if we are going to invest to these ICOs because thes are the things that these scam ICOs wont have,you can check their names in google if you found nothing morelikely it is a scam that is we should be doing a lot of research.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WINSTARS -   We are changing the face of gamblingWHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAMFACEBOOK ● Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cryptotitan

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 10:34:57 PM

Identify of the people behind the project is unknown or some members are unverified,probably a scam,online presence should be considerable,there should be some good working product or MVP so that you can research it thru google,the github account is newly created or theres empty folders,the whitepaper should be well writtern as well these are the things i am looking for the redflags.

Marma Kalari

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

kittiefight.io Combat MMO Lending Jackpots

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:12:53 PM

Most of the scams i have seen in the past had questionable team members and when you ask specific question they will skip answering those things and they lack vital information in their white paper or just copied from other projects, which means that they really do not have any vision rather wanted to collect the money and run away, most of the time these signs are present in all the scams we had in the past.

▄ ▄▀▀▄  ▄
             ███████
   █████   ▄█▀▀█████▀▀█▄
 ███████████▄██████▄██
██████████████ ▄
██▄█████▄██▀█▀▀█▀██▄█
█▄██▀▄▄███▄█▀▀█▄▀█▀▄█▀▀█▄
 █████▄▀▀▄▀███████▀▄▀
   ▀██████▀▄▀▀▄███▄▀▀▄▀█
       ███▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██
        ▀▀▄████████████▄▀
           ▀▀▄███████▄▀
              ▀▀▄█▄▀▀
KittieFIGHT

Discord | Reddit | Linkedin
██████████████████████
█████████████▀▀▀██████
███ ▀███████     ▀▄███
███   ▀▀█▀▀      ▄████
████▄             ████
█████             ████
██████▄          █████
██████▀        ███████
██▀▀        ▄▄████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████▀▀▀▀██████
██████████▀     ██████
██████████   █████████
████████▀▀   ▀▀███████
████████       ███████
██████████   █████████
██████████   █████████
██████████   █████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀███
██████████▀▀▀      ███
████▀▀▀       ▄    ███
█▄         ▄█▀    ████
████▄▄   ▄█▀      ████
███████▄█▀       █████
█████████  ▄     █████
█████████ ███▄  ██████
██████████████████████
Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2018, 11:21:49 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2018, 11:48:44 PM by Noobaru

I voted for poor online presence, because if the team is not present, then the product/platform is not present for me. Team needs to be active and engaged with their supporters and community and not hide behind some curtain. Also, empty GitHub repositories can be a problem, especially if the project is open-source. If there are confidential documents and code, then I understand. Last but not least in my opinion and while we bounty hunters don't like it when it comes to it - KYC. Investors have to pass it, because the company must comply with AML laws in order to keep our society somehow stable. But I don't agree for bounty hunting, because we are earning cryptos and not investing our cash.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
hjfjmk

Activity: 86

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:20:05 AM

The ICO pioneer has its own valuation model. The high quality ICO project has several basic principles: technological innovation, Essence reduction, trading compliance and benefit to society.
At the same time, the supervision of ICO needs to pay special attention to several points: product registration, information disclosure, asset trusteeship, project authenticity, qualified investment. ICO pioneered a quantitative analysis of ICO projects through six dimensions, such as token rate, team consultant, Financial audit, technical strength, operational capability and application scenario. Here we highlight several dimensions and indicators. ...
coinrating.co (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2018, 12:01:31 PM

Some great insights here everyone,

Thank you all  Smiley

-The CoinRating Team

Create a profile and List your ICO on CoinRating  (https://coinrating.co)
TTITA

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 09:10:01 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2018, 07:09:22 PM by TTITA

Still number one are
- Team members

Else, i seen many 'Lending project' or project that has 'High profit offers' are turned into scam, so i will avoid put investment on this kind of ICO's.
Arcoin1

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 07:56:00 AM

You can see that an ICO is the fact that participants are real. It is important to know what the project is for. Prepare for the future and the project will always win.
maloibtc

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 08:02:24 AM

I think the best way is to check out who is behind the project before you venture into ICO. Nowadays there are a lot of scams everywhere and it is necessary to be extremely careful with all untrusted projects
lihongjing

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 08:14:12 AM

When you check their Twitter and Facebook, their links do not always open correctly, their followers are few, and their Twitter even change their name.
chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 08:58:07 AM

hello my friend
I chose 3 differentiating features from ICO scams such as Team Identity Theft, Poor Online Presence, and Unrealistic Claims. I do not agree if the project ask for personal data like KYC
ROMANALADIN

Activity: 308
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 09:04:06 AM

The most important thing when evaluating a block-start-up is to understand which people are behind it. Even if the potential of the project and its target market seem to be extensive, one of the main factors of success is the team. Absence of full-fledged developers in the project is the first sign of danger. Additional caution should be shown if none of the founders has specific knowledge and experience in the relevant areas.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 09:10:56 AM

When you check their Twitter and Facebook, their links do not always open correctly, their followers are few, and their Twitter even change their name.
I don't think so.
Most of the scam ICOs do consider to have a lot of followers in their twitter handle so that they will look like legit.
They can easily buy followers for their own interest and that is by scamming investors.
Carwyn Young

Activity: 108

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 11:56:34 AM

A white paper is the most important element of any initial coin offering. In a white paper, an ICO will present an outline of what it plans to achieve, a breakdown of how the technical aspects of the platform function, and delineate its token distribution model. So, if an ICO doesn’t provide a white paper, then it’s undoubtedly a scam.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: