Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:44:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you want to see Coin Validation implamented?
No - 354 (92.2%)
Yes - 15 (3.9%)
IDK - 15 (3.9%)
Total Voters: 384

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote No for Coin Validation!  (Read 6172 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 09:56:06 PM

just a quick poll so we can see some hard numbers.

lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:13:29 PM

There's no good reason for it except to get some large retailers to accept it, but it will obviously undermine the relative anonymity of Bitcoin. Personally, I would never do it.
millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:13:52 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 11:00:51 PM by millsdmb

There's no good reason for it except to get some large retailers to accept it, but it will obviously undermine the relative anonymity of Bitcoin. Personally, I would never do it.
Sure there is. To make Yifu's coins worth more!!

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:19:03 PM

Sure their is. To make Yifu's coins worth more!!
Oh yeah I forgot about that!  Wink

This little scheme isn't going to fool anyone.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:19:48 PM

Sure their is. To make Yifu's coins worth more!!

it makes all coins worthless, ill be watching closely monday, someone says coin validation and I'll start pressing buttons.

this is no threat, its a fact.

orsana

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:20:44 PM

Just ask yourself, what would Satoshi pick?

Coin validation and blacklisting taint, are both completely against what Bitcoin was designed to be and the ideals it was founded upon.
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:21:26 PM

YES: 0%

Figures.
 Wink
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:22:11 PM

I think it's actually impossible to impose this after the fact. If it had been in from the start then maybe but the guy I bought coins from could've bought coins from someone else who bought coins from someone else who stole those coins.

Are they going to say to me, "some guy used those coins to sell drugs two years ago then sold them to someone who sold them to someone else who sold them to you therefore your coins are dirty"?

Or are they trying to draw an arbitrary line after which coins are legit?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:22:57 PM

I kinda do want to see it happen, just to see it crash and burn, but otherwise it'll spare everyone's time if it didn't happen to begin with Tongue

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:27:36 PM

just a quick poll so we can see some hard numbers.

No suitable option to pick. Could u add

Fuck these guys

please?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:28:57 PM

once people ignore the media propoganda and look at what coinvalidation actually proposes

EG
not redlisting coins (thats mike hearns idea not coinvalidation... two separate subjects)
not adding ID info to every users pubkeys (thats a hysteria idea from who knows where it originated, but obviously a conspiracy fanboy)
not making coins unusable. (coinvalidation and exchanges are businesses. not government or banks. only a bank/court order or fincen can demand funds to be 'frozen'
not going to become a REQUIREMENT of bitcoin ecosystem (coinvalidation are a business, they are NOT judge dredd.. they are not the law)
not affecting businesses that do not deal with FIAT on behalf of customers

but instead
to have a santa's naughty and nice list of BUSINESS OWNED addresses. to make it easier for exchanges to rate the risk of transactions by being able to put checks in place to for instance:
report to fincen a 25BTC to FIAT transfer which the BTC has only a 2 hop TXID from silk road. as being high risk *
or
not to report to fincen a 25BTC to FIAT transfer which the BTC has a 20 hop TXID from silk road. due to being low risk *
to advise the bitcoin businesses that deal with FIAT on behalf of customers to comply with the same fiat regulations that have been around for decades

* businesses themselves will pick what they classify as high or low risk as park of their compliance handbook

i see no problems with coinvalidations current proposals. but reading other threads about mike hearn wanting the actual coins redlisted... now that is a bold and obsurd idea to even conceive.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
freethink2013

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:48:08 PM

once people ignore the media propoganda and look at what coinvalidation actually proposes

EG
not redlisting coins (thats mike hearns idea not coinvalidation... two separate subjects)
not adding ID info to every users pubkeys (thats a hysteria idea from who knows where it originated, but obviously a conspiracy fanboy)
not making coins unusable. (coinvalidation and exchanges are businesses. not government or banks. only a bank/court order or fincen can demand funds to be 'frozen'
not going to become a REQUIREMENT of bitcoin ecosystem (coinvalidation are a business, they are NOT judge dredd.. they are not the law)

but instead
to have a santa's naughty and nice list of BUSINESS OWNED addresses. to make it easier for exchanges to rate the risk of transactions by being able to put checks in place to for instance:
report to fincen a 25BTC to FIAT transfer which the BTC has only a 2 hop TXID from silk road. as being high risk *
or
not to report to fincen a 25BTC to FIAT transfer which the BTC has a 20 hop TXID from silk road. due to being low risk *
to advise the bitcoin businesses that deal with FIAT on behalf of customers to comply with the same fiat regulations that have been around for decades

* businesses themselves will pick what they classify as high or low risk as park of their compliance handbook

i see no problems with coinvalidations current proposals. but reading other threads about mike hearn wanting the actual coins redlisted... now that is a bold and obsurd idea to even conceive.

So when the febs dump their bseized bitcoin, how are those bitcoin rated? Clean?

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:06:24 PM

So when the febs dump their bseized bitcoin, how are those bitcoin rated? Clean?

coinvalidation from reading the proposals and not the media hype are not about mike hearns idea of marking coins. but just highlighting known business addresses. so if the FBI moved DPR's funds into an FBI pubkey, it would show as low risk. if left in a active silk road pubkey, it would show as highrisk, especially if found guilty.

i personally didnt join the hysteria train. instead i went on the look beyond the newspaper train, and followed down the tracks till i reached investigate furtherville.

knowing coinvalidation is just a VOLUNTARY tool of business advisors to help businesses dealing with FIAT exchanges to become compliant* is much needed, especially when some of these exchanges are/have been run by teenage basement dwellers and other people that do not know FIAT laws in regards to handling the fiat side of their exchange

* by making it easier to recognise high risk transactions EG 2 hops from silk road or recognise safe transactions EG 20 hops from silk road or 2 hops from bitstamp. makes it easier for businesses to assess the need to throw paperwork around the office as useless paper aeroplanes due to low risks or use them to inform fincen of serious money laundering.

i have then come to the conclusion that its soo easy to mix coins dilute taint* that in the end coinvalidation will become useless

*by transacting with 20 other addresses owned by an individual to increase hops/decrease taint. to then put into an coinvalidation accredded exchange, (not converting to fiat) but after waiting a few confirms withdrawing BTC from that exchange as clean coins(mixer) .. to then put into a new exchange to withdraw as FIAT without issues.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:17:47 PM

coinvalidation from reading the proposals and not the media hype are not about mike hearns idea of marking coins. but just highlighting known business addresses. so if the FBI moved DPR's funds into an FBI pubkey, it would show as low risk. if left in a active silk road pubkey, it would show as highrisk, especially if found guilty.

i personally didnt join the hysteria train. instead i went on the look beyond the newspaper train, and followed down the tracks till i reached investigate furtherville.

knowing coinvalidation is just a VOLUNTARY tool of business advisors to help businesses dealing with FIAT exchanges to become compliant* is much needed, especially when some of these exchanges are/have been run by teenage basement dwellers and other people that do not know FIAT laws in regards to handling the fiat side of their exchange

* by making it easier to recognise high risk transactions EG 2 hops from silk road or recognise safe transactions EG 20 hops from silk road or 2 hops from bitstamp. makes it easier for businesses to assess the need to throw paperwork around the office as useless paper aeroplanes due to low risks or use them to inform fincen of serious money laundering.

i have then come to the conclusion that its soo easy to mix coins dilute taint* that in the end coinvalidation will become useless

*by transacting with 20 other addresses owned by an individual to increase hops/decrease taint. to then put into an coinvalidation accredded exchange, (not converting to fiat) but after waiting a few confirms withdrawing BTC from that exchange as clean coins(mixer) .. to then put into a new exchange to withdraw as FIAT without issues.

you think they will stop their?

this is one baby step  i will not take!

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:18:24 PM

EG

but instead
or

+1 to this.  This (a) doesn't seem that nefarious to me and (b) there really isn't any way to prevent somebody from doing this sort of thing.  Don't support them, or do business with them, whatever.  But this has been inevitable for a long time, and I don't think it's that big a deal.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:19:21 PM

For lack of thinking ability, spreading of misinformation, and unbased insults: Welcome to my ignore list.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:19:49 PM

so far we are at 92.1%

if this thing passes we have bigger problems.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:21:14 PM

there are 2 topics today

coinvalidation - purely business advisors to aid legitimate businesses identify risk

mike hearns redlisting - making each coin marked as dirty or clean.

im more concerned and worried about mike hearn... this idea of his will ruin bitcoin. where as coinvalidation will weed out the scam businesses and blackmarkets from giving bitcoin a bad name

freethink2013

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:24:57 PM

appreciate the pov. thanks for sharing.

but road to hell etc
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:27:50 PM

For lack of thinking ability, spreading of misinformation, and unbased insults: Welcome to my ignore list.

ya.ya.yo!

no harm done..
unbased insults... bitcoinica, run by a teenager(Zhou Tong), no regulation when handling FIAT funds. and then ran off with peoples money..
spreading of misinformation... i can see atleast 100 posts under 4 different threads of this topic from people that just chinese whispered to each other the forbes article.
lack of thinking ability... well it doesnt take a rocket scientist to look passed propoganda, i give you that. just wish the other 100 posters that take media as gospel atleast researched at a level above a fish brain to come to the same conclusion as me..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: