Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:40:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you want Mike Hearn removed as Chair of the Bitcoin Foundation's Law & Policy commitee?
Yes, remove him - 181 (73.6%)
No, he should stay - 40 (16.3%)
Undecided - 25 (10.2%)
Total Voters: 246

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote for the removal of Mike Hearn as Chair of the Bitcoin Foundations Law & Pol  (Read 5889 times)
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:29:42 AM

Majority has spoken! 51% united

Ultimately people vote with the codebase they choose to run.  At this point I'll be very surprised if a code fork and development team fracture does not happen.

The big questions in my mind are:

- will the transaction rate be increased enough to block large classes of users from running full nodes in time?

- what will be the disposition of the Chinese would-be peers?

If I were doing strategy for the Foundation, I'd be actively courting the large players in the Chinese sphere and possibly the government as well.  I'm not, and I'm very hopeful that the Foundation fails.  Thus, I hope that the Chinese operators and users think for themselves and don't necessarily let those who wish to centralized the solution dominate the direction.

No worries ,Chinese bitcoiners will know what is happening right now .
I already put this up on my site . 2k+ IP everday .
http://p2pbucks.com/?p=9249

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:43:33 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 07:12:43 AM by tvbcof

No worries ,Chinese bitcoiners will know what is happening right now .
I already put this up on my site . 2k+ IP everday .
http://p2pbucks.com/?p=9249

Hey, nice site!  Thank heaven for Google Translate Smiley  I'm really glad to see your work.

As you might be able to guess, I'm holding out a lot of hope that influences from the 'non-aligned' jurisdictions conspire to keep Bitcoin 'free'.  I cannot bring myself to trust Bitcoin's future to the tender mercies of the Chinese central government, but a pissing match between them and the U.S. (+ our minions in Europe) could really serve the interests of us lowly users/investors/speculators well.

edit:  Jeez...I could have sent a tip I guess.  Done.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:12:22 AM

Well , people will suddenly realize that their votes don't count , just the vote of the foundation members.
Something like... the government?

Then , people we'll say , fuck bitcoin and it's regulation , I'm building and using bitcoin 2.0
Just like they did with fuck fiat , let's build and use bitcoin.

And history repeats itself.
And Utopia is one step farther away Cheesy

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
asyn

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:36:46 AM

Guys calm down!

He just called for a discussion and this is his job as chairmen of the law section.

Why should he get removed for starting a due discussion?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:46:59 AM

Guys calm down!

He just called for a discussion and this is his job as chairmen of the law section.

He should know better than to propose creating a blacklisting system that is such an obvious target for government overreach, the exact same government that goes and taps Google's private datacenter links.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 08:54:33 AM

Yeah fuck off Mike and this bullshit foundation.
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 08:59:23 AM

Decentralize, Decentralize, Decentralize.  Did I say "Decentralize"?

THAT is the power of bitcoin.

If we are going to have other people making decisions on how we can and cannot spend, we may just as well go back to US Paper Dollars and hope for the best.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:03:29 AM

The Bitcoin Foundation - Litecoin users remain unaffected ?

Bitrated user: Mick.
BitTrade

Activity: 173

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:04:37 AM

Fascists shouldn't be in charge of making Bitcoin policy decisions.  
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:09:29 AM

The Bitcoin Foundation - Litecoin users remain unaffected ?

They'll get to regulating litecoin in time.  Just wait your turn.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
WillBit

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:22:27 AM

Mike Hearn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JJkMD1hE4
cheech300

Activity: 330
Merit: 252

NEIN, ICH BIN DER BITCOIN!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:47:53 AM

I'm undecided, cause i haven't enough Information about that. But if he and the foundation got the plan to do something like that. Then i'll do everything to not let it happen! If they get thrue with that, bitcoin is dead! And i'm out. The US causes war all around the planet, the spy everybody on that planet cause of terrorism. The Big brother should not get control over bitcoin.... No Way!
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:02:20 AM

So releasing information on other people is FREEDOM but doing so on yourself is TYRANNY?  Sounds more like HYPOCRISY.   Roll Eyes  You can keep living in this little bubble of ignorance, blindly blaming the US as the regulatory devil, but this has nothing to do with the US.  Big banks are calling the shots and they operate with no borders.  They will impose regulations in any country at any time they choose.  So, either deal with big banks head on or accept playing by their rules.  Either way, it's actually kind of sad watching the Bitcoin community destroy itself from the inside out.  All these smart people and these are the best uses you can come up with, to leverage a tech like Bitcoin and return monetary power back to the people?  We're doomed.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 01:52:00 PM

Do you want Mike Hearn removed as Chair of the Bitcoin Foundation's Law & Policy commitee?
You want Mike Hearn replaced? Join the Foundation and vote (yes, I'm well aware of the OPs membership).
Doing a Gallup poll witch hunt at bitcointalk will not get you anywhere.

Hatred (see below) won't get you anywhere either.
Now stop the bitching, get yourselves organized and do better if you think you can.

"The Foundation" just wants to collect their winnings. I despise these people.
Yeah fuck off Mike and this bullshit foundation.
Fascists shouldn't be in charge of making Bitcoin policy decisions.  

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 02:06:21 PM

Guys calm down!

He should know better than to propose creating a blacklisting system that is such an obvious target for government overreach, the exact same government that goes and taps Google's private datacenter links.

He has suggested a discussion.  Sticking your head in the sand and assuming nobody/no company would ever suggest exactly this option leaves everyone open to being blindsided by its implementation.  This is EXACTLY exemplified by the coinvalidation business proposal.  Don't get me wrong - I think its a bad idea (especially trying to whitelist people to be able to do business with companies), but pretending that nobody is going to suggest it is just downright stupid.

The suggestion and followup response by Gregory Maxwell is exactly the discussion that has to take place.  It's the same reason we discuss(ed) the possibility of the 51% or selfish mining "attack" - so they everyone knows about the possibility and looks at it in a reasonable light.  Sure, express resistance about doing it - but don't villianize someone for proposing we have a discussion.

Sheesh...

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
elbill

Activity: 938
Merit: 1005

frantorres_995 at socialmedia

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:18:50 PM

Bitcoin is global, I am a member of the bitcoin fundation and not of USAcoin fundation.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:25:45 PM

Can't we just ignore that group? Seriously, why keep opening thread about them? They are important exactly like me and you, but it is not like i open a thread about myself saying that i am the "chairman" of something  Cheesy

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:38:47 PM

Can't we just ignore that group? Seriously, why keep opening thread about them? They are important exactly like me and you, but it is not like i open a thread about myself saying that i am the "chairman" of something  Cheesy

That's because he is a Chair , not a chairman like you
"Do you want Mike Hearn removed as Chair of the Bitcoin Foundation's Law & Policy commitee?"
He has very important task and is indispensable. Are we savages eating on the ground ? We need those chairs!!!!!!!!!

Also they are very useful when we run amok. Usually they are the first things you throw at the walls.
And I bet there will be some chairs thrown at the next conference.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
tiaguitah

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:53:55 PM

from peter todd:

"We've had the theoretical discussion before, multiple times. The technology involved isn't very interesting from a legal perspective and doesn't deserve more discussion. There's near consensus in the community that it's a very bad idea, for multiple reasons, regardless of your thoughts about privacy and anonymity.

If you want to discuss it further, knock yourself out. But there is every reason for community members to be worried when someone in a position of power - Mike Hearn is chair of the Foundation Legal and Policy committee - starts promoting a discredited and dangerous idea yet again. It's like finding out in 1940 that the chair of your local electricity board thinks the town needs a direct current feed and that Tesla guy got it all wrong. Sure, his arguments for DC may sound convincing to some people who are unfamiliar with the technology, but the discussion's long been settled in favor of AC by those who are. "

VOTED YES.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 03:58:28 PM

from peter todd:

"We've had the theoretical discussion before, multiple times. The technology involved isn't very interesting from a legal perspective and doesn't deserve more discussion. There's near consensus in the community that it's a very bad idea, for multiple reasons, regardless of your thoughts about privacy and anonymity.

If you want to discuss it further, knock yourself out. But there is every reason for community members to be worried when someone in a position of power - Mike Hearn is chair of the Foundation Legal and Policy committee - starts promoting a discredited and dangerous idea yet again. It's like finding out in 1940 that the chair of your local electricity board thinks the town needs a direct current feed and that Tesla guy got it all wrong. Sure, his arguments for DC may sound convincing to some people who are unfamiliar with the technology, but the discussion's long been settled in favor of AC by those who are. "

VOTED YES.

maybe The Foundation not as bad as I perceive it to be, this is encouraging!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: