Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:31:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Apple the new IBM of our time?  (Read 2249 times)
Sopap (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:50:48 PM

So "Coinbase iOS app, which enabled users to buy, sell and send bitcoin, has been removed from the Apple App Store less than a month after its launch."

Can this be compared to back in the days when IBM resisted the new wave of Apple computers?

http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-bitcoin-app-apple-app-store/
lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:01:28 PM

Bitcoin is not directly competing with Apple, so I really don't understand the comparison to the IBM vs. Apple feud.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:02:30 PM

Microsoft wont let you use "Bitcoin" or "I81TC01N" or anything like it in your Xbox Live profile.

Amazing how threatened these major multinational multibillion dollar corporations are by our tiny little experiment.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:08:36 PM

Android users not affected  Smiley

Next time get a free device  Wink

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 03:19:57 PM

I have an iPhone but am getting a little tired of this.  I like the for the most part malware free iPhone experience, better hardware build quality and feel of IOS more, but if I need to carry around a second phone for Bitcoin by next year I will switch.

Sopap (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:21:23 PM

Bitcoin is not directly competing with Apple, so I really don't understand the comparison to the IBM vs. Apple feud.

I think it all depends on how you look at it. Although bitcoin is not directly competing again AAPL, it surely poses a threat to its revenues streams in many ways. For one, bitcoin is about to revolutionize not only the way that we think about computers and the internet (which were two of Steve Jobs' main focuses when he built AAPL), but also the smartphone ecosystem. Unlike Android, Apple OS is bit trickier to work with - let alone its app store. So an increase in the adoption of bitcoin can only mean 2 things 1.) AAPL will lose a lot of his iPhone users (which will suck for them) 2.) AAPL will have to make its infrastructure more compatible to bitcoin (which is risky and costly).
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:21:31 PM

I have an iPhone but am getting a little tired of this.  I like the for the most part malware free iPhone experience, better hardware build quality and feel of IOS more, but if I need to carry around a second phone for Bitcoin by next year I will switch.

As long as you are careful what you download and get a good brand/model I believe that Android is definitely superior.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 03:22:41 PM

Apple really does suck. Why pay outrageous prices for pretty closed-source software, when you can build an inexpensive Linux machine that can do everything for free. It's more secure and all has everything you need to run a business online.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:23:36 PM

better hardware build quality
Lol?

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:32:44 PM

Switch my iPhone for a crappy android phone, just to use a Coinbase app?  Uh...no.  Just no.   Roll Eyes

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
Sopap (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:50:32 PM

Switch my iPhone for a crappy android phone, just to use a Coinbase app?  Uh...no.  Just no.   Roll Eyes

Well.. many people responded like you during the AAPL vs. IBM feud
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:54:46 PM

I think it's more like Apple is the new Apple.  In their early days they tried to monopolize the hardware and software markets for their Macs and the like.  They lost to the open architecture and open market of the PC market place.  They gave themselves a tremendous head-start in the smart phone market.  However their narrow-minded approach at attempting to control both the hardware and the software is leading them down the same path.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:06:30 PM

i still dislike apple the same, for reasons being that they are assholes who are more interested in sucking your money dry..

and i used to like google quite a bit, but more and more i am seeing google as an intrusive tech company that is only interested in collecting your data... for possibly nefarious reasons.

overall, i still prefer google for their open source approach.. but google is fucking creepy. if anything, i'm starting to feel like google is becoming a "big brother" firm, one that is more interested in nefarious activities that go beyond the scope of just sucking your wallet dry.
Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:53:49 PM

Apple is bordering on being a religious cult in its own right. I remember seeing people cheer outside an Apple store when the iPad2 went on sale and found it somewhat embarassing and disturbing at the same time.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:10:34 PM

Apple is bordering on being a religious cult in its own right. I remember seeing people cheer outside an Apple store when the iPad2 went on sale and found it somewhat embarassing and disturbing at the same time.

As a graphic designer I have to fight off Apple fanboys every lunch time.
Chief Satangkai

Activity: 54

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:12:38 PM

My biggest problem with Android is the ugly and clunky user interface. It´s not uniform and
it looks like some 12-year old child designed it. There are tons of buggy apps out there and
i also get a feeling that security is not as tight as on the IOS plattform. To me Android looks
and feels very cheap...  (okey, kill me now!)
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:14:42 PM

Can this be compared to back in the days when IBM resisted the new wave of Apple computers?

no, it can`t
indianplayers

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

No Apple is playing safe since a lot of banks and governments consider bitcoin as a risk investment.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:13:37 PM

Steve Jobs thinking:

Hmmmm, what do I do today? Perhaps get a linux, polish it to the point that people want to "lick it", name it Isomething and sell it (at a very high premium)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Angry

I prefer the real thing.

To answer the OP's question, no, crapple has nothing to do with IBM. IBM invented an open platform, the PC, then crapple tries to close it!!!!!  Cheesy
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:14:06 PM

better hardware build quality
Lol?

iPhones in general are much better in build quality then the average competing Android phones.  The highest end of Android may be better but certainly not the average.  Fair or not, most cell providers give the customers access to inferior Android phones when comparing against Apple at the same price to the consumer.   For the consumer to get one of the better Android phones they need to pay more money.  

Finally iPhones hold their value (for resale) much better.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/05/iphone-retains-128-more-value-over-time-than-apples-competition-ipad-worth-67-more

Despite all of these advantages I may end up going Android.  

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: