Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:32:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warren Buffet to buy Bitcoins?  (Read 6977 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:14:55 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 10:14:55 AM by Blitz­

Do you think this will happen? I'd love the guy to own some 10,000 coins. Or is he too old for this thing?

Does anyone knows if he publicly mentioned anything about bitcoins?

mod edit to correct misleading title

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:15:48 PM

He said Bitcoin is rat poison.

Too old imo.
wobber (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:16:18 PM

He said Bitcoin is poison rat.

Source?

BldSwtTrs
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:16:42 PM

He said Bitcoin is poison rat.

Source?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198578.0
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:26:59 PM

Warren "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful” is unlikely to invest in Bitcoin. Besides, he typically avoids tech investments.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
mvidetto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:28:25 PM

I read in a few places that he thinks the whole currency is a bubble and would never buy bitcoins.  He's just too old to believe in this type of thing.
wobber (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:29:35 PM

Would be nice to compute what's the average sum he invested so far in any given stock and apply that to bitcoin, to see how much he would have.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:32:19 PM

Too old imo.

Munger's quote.  On the face the quote seems very negative but he could be saying that finance is infested with rats and bitcoin is going to clear them all out.  Especially since it does have that potential.  I mean it was a very interesting choice of analogy out of infinite possibilities... this is a very clever guy and he's not about to drop a stock market tip on TV for free when he has paying customers that deserve his insight.  

Most likely he doesn't care one way or the other and just said it for laughs...

Miz4r
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:35:20 PM

Too old imo.

Actually it was Munger who said that. Bill Gates thought it was a 'technological tour de force', and Warren Buffet thought that either Bill Gates or Munger was right. Or in other words: he has no clue and doesn't understand bitcoin enough to form an opinion on.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:36:51 PM

Do you think this will happen? I'd love the guy to own some 10,000 coins. Or is he too old for this thing?

He will not. Warren Buffet does not invest in new technology, he only invest in things that he can fully understand, companies with a proven track record.

His biggest holdings are: exxon mobile, coca cola, wellsfargo, IBM, walmart and american express

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
the_sunship

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:37:50 PM

"yes, bitcoin is rat pison - the banks are the rats!"

saw someone post this before on this forum and I love this quote... Cheesy
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:39:25 PM

Too old imo.

That was Charles Munger, Buffet seemed neutral.

kireinaha

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:41:20 PM

I read in a few places that he thinks the whole currency is a bubble and would never buy bitcoins.  He's just too old to believe in this type of thing.

Exactly. He's too old (ie. too wise) to invest heavily in bitcoin. Look, I hope bitcoin takes off because I would come out well, but the long term outlook for Bitcoin is still very shaky and a guy like Buffet can easily recognize that.

lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:44:05 PM

I highly doubt it, from what I know he prefers more "stable" and "safe" investments. He's missing out on a great opportunity though!
wobber (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:47:07 PM

I read in a few places that he thinks the whole currency is a bubble and would never buy bitcoins.  He's just too old to believe in this type of thing.

Exactly. He's too old (ie. too wise) to invest heavily in bitcoin. Look, I hope bitcoin takes off because I would come out well, but the long term outlook for Bitcoin is still very shaky and a guy like Buffet can easily recognize that.

By any means I'm not attacking you, but everyone thinks the same. The ultimate goal is fiat.

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:59:58 PM

He never will. Bitcoin is far too risky for him. The market is also far to small. Not enough liquidity for him to buy any amount of coins that would be meaningful to him.
kireinaha

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:00:19 PM

By any means I'm not attacking you, but everyone thinks the same. The ultimate goal is fiat.

Absolutely, I agree. Everyone who is currently investing in bitcoin has one ultimate goal: cash out and collect fiat. But some people online don't expect to do that until BTC reaches $100,000 and I highly doubt that day will ever come.

Miz4r
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:12:14 PM

I read in a few places that he thinks the whole currency is a bubble and would never buy bitcoins.  He's just too old to believe in this type of thing.

Absolutely, I agree. Everyone who is currently investing in bitcoin has one ultimate goal: cash out and collect fiat.

This assumption is simply false. Not everyone's ultimate goal is fiat, mine is that bitcoin becomes successful and I can use it instead of fiat. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:15:48 PM

No, the ultimate goal is wealth.

Bitcoin will capture the value of multiple other markets which is going to make bitcoin owners wealthy. This is the truth, and the number of people who want to cash out is orthogonal to the truth.

People who want to cash out just don't understand the big picture and/or don't have the guts to play at the stake which are involved.
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:19:28 PM

He will not. Warren Buffet does not invest in new technology, he only invest in things that he can fully understand, companies with a proven track record.

His biggest holdings are: exxon mobile, coca cola, wellsfargo, IBM, walmart and american express

+1
I read this 5min ago in an article (German). He does not fully understand Bitcoin, so he won't invest (his iron rule). He is not stupid.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: