Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:40:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A lot of bad news recently for bitcoin, IMO it is going to start to hurt.  (Read 4843 times)
joulesbeef (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:46:39 PM

there is a reason why most businesses use linux in the back while their sheeple non techie employees are all on windows. And it is a bit more than "we have always done it this way that is why"

you can quibble all day about if either is more user friendly or if you can get the same level of customer service from redhat as you could from MS.

at the end of the day, it is cheaper on businesses with windows up front and linux in the back, even if it doesnt seem like it with all them damn windows licenses.

mooo for rent

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:03:00 PM

Huh, I have been replacing all the Winxx OS on the computers at work. When I check back a few weeks later to ask how they like the new Ubuntu OS, the just say... "wha? I didn't notice anything".

Anyway on topic. No I don't think it will be so bad for BTC. The examples you mentioned are mostly not problems with bitcoin.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
joulesbeef (OP)

moOo

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 07:15:17 PM

Anyway on topic. No I don't think it will be so bad for BTC. The examples you mentioned are mostly not problems with bitcoin

really hard to believe you can say that. Many people used mybitcoin as they did not trust having their wallets on their own computer with various bitcoin trojans. Now suddenly the place where they felt safe, disappears without a trace. And that is about 100,000 bitcoins, many of those people were current traders. If you just lost 1000 coins would you immediately go buy some more? If you didnt feel safe with the wallet at home and the biggest most recommended online wallet just disappeared, would you go looking for the second biggest?

yeah some of my examples are only small straws on the camels back. The MTGOX glich for example. But it just adds to peoples unease. DO you really doubt that ANY stock would not go down with similar level of bad news?

I'm not saying it would hurt long term, I hope not. it will if this shit doesnt stop. But you would have to be blind to not see it has hurt the short term. Why do you think we are at $9 right now? due to all the good news?

mooo for rent
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:39:35 PM

Well, I agree with your idea that prices are hurt by bad press. What I meant about those examples not be bitcoin problem is that they are not flaws in the fundamentals of bitcoin.  Scammers, shady or unprofessional websites, market manipulation, those are problems with people, not bitcoin.
If SHA-256 were broken, now that would be a flaw.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
joulesbeef (OP)

moOo

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:13:36 PM

Ok i understand.. you are right.. most of the flaws so far are growing pains and people starting to recognize that bitcoin is a target for scammers cause it is new, a lot o fmoney goes through it and people dont have good security habits yet.

mooo for rent
vulgata

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:25:16 PM

Well, I agree with your idea that prices are hurt by bad press. What I meant about those examples not be bitcoin problem is that they are not flaws in the fundamentals of bitcoin.  Scammers, shady or unprofessional websites, market manipulation, those are problems with people, not bitcoin.

The problem is that Bitcoin is only as good as the people using it.  It can't exist by itself in a vacuum.  While we as techies/geeks may write off the human component and market stuff as less important than the "fundamentals", they are just as essential to its success as the client, network, and crypto are.  Too many of these incidents (and they're getting worse as more people get involved and centralize more) may sour the public on the whole idea and drive them away for good.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:58:45 PM

The problem is that Bitcoin is only as good as the people using it.  It can't exist by itself in a vacuum.  While we as techies/geeks may write off the human component and market stuff as less important than the "fundamentals", they are just as essential to its success as the client, network, and crypto are.  Too many of these incidents (and they're getting worse as more people get involved and centralize more) may sour the public on the whole idea and drive them away for good.

It's like high school all over again, isn't it?
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:39:33 PM

Bitcoin is new and uncertain. With the new and uncertain can come great rewards or great failures, right now it is looking like the later is taking hold. So far we have seen

25k stolen
trojan wallet stealers.
MtGox hacked
dwolla reversing payments.
MtGox glitch sending price to million per coin.
MyBitcoin the largest online wallet service, MIA and no info what so ever and no way to contact the owner as yet.
The 3rd biggest exchange had 17,000 coins go poof. In the normal market even if something like this was to happen and their was no backups, you could get most peoples stocks back, it would just take time and research but with coins, they get destroyed and they are gone, no one can refind them later.

This is a lot for someone looking into bitcoin to handle.

So are you bullish or bearish now on the coin? How many more of these growing pains until it really effects the price? What can be done to help end amateur hour here?

This was (still is) one of my biggest questions about bitcoin. There is supposed to be a max of 21,000,000 BTC eventually, but how many will get lost, deleted, etc.... 10%? 20%? more?

(*WARNING - wild imagination about to go wild*)

What if bitcoin actually succeeds? Say bitcoin gains mass acceptance, and then some wacko decides to bomb a bitcoin convention with the intent of decreasing the supply in order to drive up the demand/price??

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:44:53 PM

(*WARNING - wild imagination about to go wild*)

What if bitcoin actually succeeds? Say bitcoin gains mass acceptance, and then some wacko decides to bomb a bitcoin convention with the intent of decreasing the supply in order to drive up the demand/price??

Wait, I missed the part where everyone at the convention was toting around their entire wallet on their smartphone and were the only one's in their family/circle with access to their backups.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
joulesbeef (OP)

moOo

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:46:18 AM

nah but a ton of coins have already17,000 have  been lost at that one exchange, and tons of people have screwed up and lost their coin and tons quit with change in their wallets but the more that our lost the less that should be, as value goes up, once we get all 21 million, hopefully fractions of a bitcoin will be worth a lot, so people will tend to lose small fractions rather than whole coins.

Still once lost bitcoins are lost forever. unlike gold

mooo for rent
ganalon

Activity: 34

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 06:52:35 AM

joulesbeef, part of the beauty of Bitcoin.  21 million (slightly less) is the upper bound of BTC.   Loss is not insignificant.  Study compSci (computer science) and investigate "order O notation", upper bound and lower bound become significant factors... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

Same principles apply to BitCoin money supply.
vulgata

Activity: 55

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:40:12 PM

It's like high school all over again, isn't it?

Unfortunately, yes  Undecided
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: