Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:15:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins in space!  (Read 36183 times)
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:05:50 AM

Is the satellite designed on open hardware? Will the design and other specifics of that sort be public?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 02:22:32 AM

Is the satellite designed on open hardware? Will the design and other specifics of that sort be public?

As much as possible will be open source and open hardware.

However, sometimes you have to choose between space-ready hardware for $, or developing your own open hardware for $$$$ + time.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:06:12 AM

Here's a crazy proposal: What if the sats were programmed to start mining if they don't see new blocks for too long; making it so that even if no one on the surface of Earth is mining, the network will continue on time?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
rarkenin

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:08:10 PM

If the ground station were to go down then a blockchain split could occur. Multiple ground stations and an open design for same would be beneficial.
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:33:45 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 06:40:28 PM by jgarzik

If the ground station were to go down then a blockchain split could occur. Multiple ground stations and an open design for same would be beneficial.

Multiple ground stations are pretty much a given.  It is likely we will interact with a larger number of third party ground stations, rather than only run a few ground stations 100% ourselves.

A ground station can be pretty cheap.  A ground station can be as simple as a small satellite dish on top of a building, plus a controlling computer.

Frequency selection will be one of the biggest decisions.  That will trickle down to the ground stations (transmitters), users (receivers), governmental approvals, and other areas.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:42:59 PM

Here's a crazy proposal: What if the sats were programmed to start mining if they don't see new blocks for too long; making it so that even if no one on the surface of Earth is mining, the network will continue on time?

That is a really fun idea, but it would require a lot of power in a low-power situation.

Let's hope the price of plutonium power sources comes down.  Otherwise, solar power is most likely.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

That is a really fun idea, but it would require a lot of power in a low-power situation.

Let's hope the price of plutonium power sources comes down.  Otherwise, solar power is most likely.

If there is no one to compete with the satellites, the difficulty would get adjusted to fit their processing power after a few space-born blocks.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 09:29:44 PM

new and "cheap" rockets for sattelites (from the teslar founder)

http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:34:06 PM

new and "cheap" rockets for sattelites (from the teslar founder)

http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

Yep.  The general idea is that you group your own cubesat together with dozens of others, on the same flight, sharing costs.  SpaceX helps push those costs down even lower.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 12:04:24 PM

stqism in #bitcoin-otc has been talking about working on a satellite...

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:41:54 PM

CoinDesk covers: http://www.coindesk.com/core-developer-bitcoin-node-space/

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:21:38 PM

Extremely cool project, I'll certainly be watching this.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 08:47:14 PM

found a photo of jeff in 10 years  Cheesy :

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:29:53 PM

Jeff: I love this idea and I'd like to contribute.  Would you consider a Kickstarter-like model and declare a fundraising goal and deadline, and if we don't make the goal then the donations are returned?  I'd like to make more than a token pledge, but I don't want the money just sitting around if this project doesn't find its legs.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:19:30 AM

Jeff, awesome idea!! It's bald, near impossible but with Bitcoin the sky is the limit. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
TiagoTiago

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:23:32 AM

Jeff, awesome idea!! It's bald, near impossible but with Bitcoin the sky is the limit. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
Well, if we are going to space, the sky isn't the limit anymore Tongue

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:30:56 AM

Well, if we are going to space, the sky isn't the limit anymore Tongue
Yea at the moment its the moon, or the solar-system if you want Smiley

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:22:50 AM

Jeff: I love this idea and I'd like to contribute.  Would you consider a Kickstarter-like model and declare a fundraising goal and deadline, and if we don't make the goal then the donations are returned?  I'd like to make more than a token pledge, but I don't want the money just sitting around if this project doesn't find its legs.

Same answer as with the investment question early in this thread.  KickStarter is too much work at this stage.  KickStarter also potentially introduces problems with setting expectations.  Phase 1 -- the boring design work -- does not cost very much, and would not be worth a KickStarter.  KickStarter for Phase 2 -- building and launching space hardware -- is very exciting, but it is premature to KickStart that right now, in my opinion.

Phase 1 is all about designing a usable foundation.  If you can afford it, donate 1-10 BTC, and email me so that I may credit your sponsorship.

The current team will be kept small, under 4 engineers or so.

Layers of management, investors, incorporations, and KickStarters are just not necessary this early, and would simply slow down the process.

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:31:30 AM

Erm guys, you are talking about a rocket trip being commissioned and bought with Bitcoins.

Do you realize how insanely awesome super awesome amazing that would be????

:)

Satoshi, get those bitcoins out of cold storage! Now!
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:15:28 AM

Same answer as with the investment question early in this thread.  KickStarter is too much work at this stage.  KickStarter also potentially introduces problems with setting expectations.  Phase 1 -- the boring design work -- does not cost very much, and would not be worth a KickStarter.  KickStarter for Phase 2 -- building and launching space hardware -- is very exciting, but it is premature to KickStart that right now, in my opinion.

Phase 1 is all about designing a usable foundation.  If you can afford it, donate 1-10 BTC, and email me so that I may credit your sponsorship.

The current team will be kept small, under 4 engineers or so.

Layers of management, investors, incorporations, and KickStarters are just not necessary this early, and would simply slow down the process.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.  I now agree with your logic.  The KickStarter format should wait for the build/launch phase. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: