Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you preparing for an Economic Collapse/Great Depression 2.0?  (Read 3170 times)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:47:44 AM

I wont prepare, I mean thinking like this doesn't make any sense.
Living in constant fear and preoccupations if  something bad is gonna happen doesn't make much of a life.
A car could run over you just tomorrow, so whats the point?

The forecast calls for high winds and unprecedented snowfall. It is relatively calm, with just a few flakes falling. Do you
a) ignore all warnings, and start a 5 day hike in shorts and a T shirt, carrying nothing because nothing bad could ever happen(or you are going to be hit           by a car anyway)

b) Dress warmly, and carry shelter & supplies
c) Stay home with a cozy fire and some supplies

a) seems singularly foolish to me. Why do anything for future comfort or gain if you expect to be hit by a car tomorrow. This doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  

You cant compare weather and this these are different things. All that sounds a little too much obsessive about material goods and personal comfort to me.And I don't see people preparing for things like this anywhere but in America. People survived far worse things.
In the rest of the world we LEAVE. One advantage europeans have over americans is that we are not so... insular. We are more willing to quit our country and start over somewhere else. And we do, in increasing numbers.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 03:55:31 AM

Gold/Silver/Bitcoins

I don't own any gold yet though Sad
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:59:45 AM

Living in constant fear and preoccupations if  something bad is gonna happen doesn't make much of a life.

The forecast calls for high winds and unprecedented snowfall. It is relatively calm, with just a few flakes falling. Do you
a) ignore all warnings, and start a 5 day hike in shorts and a T shirt, carrying nothing because nothing bad could ever happen(or you are going to be hit           by a car anyway)

a) seems singularly foolish to me. Why do anything for future comfort or gain if you expect to be hit by a car tomorrow. This doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  

this, pretty much.

the forecast is major economic collapse. and history points to it as well. i bet he'll change his mind when he's starving with no food an electricity. preparing does not mean you become some crazy nut who lives in a bunker and wears camoflauge clothes everywhere he goes.

Living in constant fear and preoccupations if  something bad is gonna happen doesn't make much of a life.

You cant compare weather and this these are different things. All that sounds a little too much obsessive about material goods and personal comfort to me.And I don't see people preparing for things like this anywhere but in America. People survived far worse things.

you can compare it when there are similarities, as in:

1) it is about predicting the future, based on past and current events.
2) there is a chance that not being prepared leads to an adverse event/suffering.
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 10:50:52 AM

I like the ideas about the plants/gardening, learning various skills that would be usefull, and stockpilling what will be valuable, and necessary.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:41:42 AM

yeah moringa is like a miracle plant.. it'll feed you and purify your water, and it doesn't take much maintenance or water. i should start eating some now, but.. it doesn't taste very good.
cdtc

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 02:27:46 PM

....doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  

bunker?

How about gaining some basic skills?  Machine shop, welding, carpendry, concrete and the segments of engineering behind them.  How engines and motors and such work.  And there's a lot more to gardening than one might think.

A lot of people today are terribly ignorant about the basics.  Like, a hobby of building race cars would generate some survivors...
I agree with this, so if you really want to be prepared for anything you should start investing in your education and your skills.
Because everything else comes and goes, someone could steal your food, destroy your bunker but no one can take what you know
and what you can do. So the most important thing is what you are and not what you have.

BetFury                                                     
🐥Twitter | 📩Telegram | 🎲 You play - We pay 🎲 | YouTube 🍿| Reddit  🕹
                                                    Free BTC 1 800 Satoshi every day                                                   
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 03:25:25 PM

....doesn't mean go live in a bunker with your dog for the next 10 years, but some forethought and planning for possible scenarios is a sound practice. Being prepared doesn't mean living in fear. Most who prepare for setbacks do so for peace of mind because they DO NOT expect to be run over by a car tomorrow.  

bunker?

How about gaining some basic skills?  Machine shop, welding, carpendry, concrete and the segments of engineering behind them.  How engines and motors and such work.  And there's a lot more to gardening than one might think.

A lot of people today are terribly ignorant about the basics.  Like, a hobby of building race cars would generate some survivors...
I agree with this, so if you really want to be prepared for anything you should start investing in your education and your skills.
Because everything else comes and goes, someone could steal your food, destroy your bunker but no one can take what you know
and what you can do. So the most important thing is what you are and not what you have.
But note, also, that there are lots of ways that basic skills can be combined into a fun hobby.  And don't forget tomorrows basic skills.

Numchuck skills, computer hacking skills, 3d printing skills....
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:06:10 PM

The that was titled about the great depression 2.0 aka 2014, but quickly became shtf based!
I am in silver and bitcoin, I do tell myeself that I need to get some supplies, even just for a month or so, but I haven't got to that point yet.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 06:48:14 PM

The that was titled about the great depression 2.0 aka 2014, but quickly became shtf based!
I am in silver and bitcoin, I do tell myeself that I need to get some supplies, even just for a month or so, but I haven't got to that point yet.
Off line copies of wikipedia might be useful, it's surprising how little awareness there is that you can do this.  Quite easily.  I have the 18gb version on my android phone and it rocks.

Kiwi is the most generally useful way to do this, android/os x/win/linux.
http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page

...and a couple of good but not used anymore gadgets left in a faraday cage style EMF protector box.

WEB slicer
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

1NF4xXDDpMVmeazJxJDLrFxuJrCAT7CB1b

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:23:22 AM

+1 for gremlins

Cheesy

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:43:58 AM

In the rest of the world we LEAVE. One advantage europeans have over americans is that we are not so... insular. We are more willing to quit our country and start over somewhere else. And we do, in increasing numbers.
I don't think you guys would want us back.  Then again, we could come over and crowd out all your recent third world immigrants, or handle them in some other means.  But come think of it, we'd probably bring the Mexicans with us.  And the Puerto Ricans.  And a whole bunch of red neck, tobacco chewing guys wearing boots.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:46:23 AM

yeah moringa is like a miracle plant.. it'll feed you and purify your water, and it doesn't take much maintenance or water. i should start eating some now, but.. it doesn't taste very good.
Shut up!  Tell them it tastes delicious!  They will not dare question you.

Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:59:28 AM

I've bought tuna and ammo futures.  Preppers buying tinned tuna and ammo will be the last great boom before the Apocalypse. 
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:32:52 PM

i like renewable resources the most.. like solar, or a plant that you can grow. it's more sustainable than a perishable good.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:13:31 PM

That moringa thing, could you realistically grow it on a 30 feet boat? Been wondering about self-sustainability out to sea, got everything except food (theoretically) covered.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:32:18 PM

i have no idea, but with my limited knowledge i don't see why not? you barely need to water it and you probably only need some soil to grow it.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:15:25 PM

i like renewable resources the most.. like solar, or a plant that you can grow. it's more sustainable than a perishable good.
For surviving an economic collapse, it'd just be hard to beat owning a Texas natural gas well.  I mean actually owning one, not a share in some Wall street company.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:17:44 PM

For surviving an economic collapse, it'd just be hard to beat owning a Texas natural gas well.  I mean actually owning one, not a share in some Wall street company.

i don't disagree with your point, but during an economic collapse not many people or companies are using energy. driving a car would probably be considered a luxury, so wouldn't that significantly decrease the demand for energy? then again, if the economy fixes itself, it will require a massive amount of energy..

i also think crime and theft would be higher, so if i owned the rights to a natural gas reserve.. i'd be afraid of someone jacking it from me.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:31:39 PM

For surviving an economic collapse, it'd just be hard to beat owning a Texas natural gas well.  I mean actually owning one, not a share in some Wall street company.

i don't disagree with your point, but during an economic collapse not many people or companies are using energy. driving a car would probably be considered a luxury, so wouldn't that significantly decrease the demand for energy? then again, if the economy fixes itself, it will require a massive amount of energy..

i also think crime and theft would be higher, so if i owned the rights to a natural gas reserve.. i'd be afraid of someone jacking it from me.
Good points.  An oil well has output which requires some processing while a gas well does not, it is fuel ready to go.

It'd be hard to beat a productive farm or ranch with some energy deposits of any sort...including coal, for that matter.  I like solar, I'm just being practical here.  Even if the demand for energy went down, we'd need to heat some homes in the winter.  Depending on the location, more or less.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:05:07 AM

That moringa thing, could you realistically grow it on a 30 feet boat? Been wondering about self-sustainability out to sea, got everything except food (theoretically) covered.
I've heard that there are plenty of fish in the sea...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: