Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:00:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie trying to gain confidence  (Read 2193 times)
RobinW (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:58:32 PM

In April this year I made a tentative start in Bitcoins.
I set up the software, and waited for it to sync....  and found it had used up all my internet traffic quota.
So I reduced maxconnections, then to gain confidence I went to 2 faucets and signed up for small contributions.  I sent each one a new address so I knew what had come from whom.
The faucets were:
daily bitcoins.org
bitcoinfaucet.at
I waited and waited, expecting something small to appear.  Still nothing, after 2 days!
So I tried 3 more:
freenitcoins.macdonaldboats.com
coinreaper.com
cointicket.org
Still nothing, after a week!
Where did I go wrong?  Can anyone help please?

qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:08:26 PM

i don't no why people bother with faucets, why would anyone want to sit at a computer all day to earn 1 dollar.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:09:46 PM

One thing you can do is use a wallet that doesn't download the whole blockchain.  MultiBit is such a wallet.  I don't what you meant about confidence, but this will certainly help you to run a wallet without destroying your data quota.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:10:39 PM

i don't no why people bother with faucets, why would anyone want to sit at a computer all day to earn a 1 dollar.

I think the idea is that todays 1 dollar could be tomorrows 100$.   I mean, someone sitting at a faucet collecting all day 2 years ago would have a bit to sell at today's prices.
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:11:10 PM

You started in April and still have 0?!

You did wrong by visiting those websites - they're scams, they basically give you BTC worth less than a penny, and in return they get dollars, ever wonder why those pages are litered with ads? Why there are referral links? It's because they get tons of money from it. Tons.

Ever wonder why lots of people on these forums have these links that lead you to those crappy websites with referral links and tons of ads? Pyramid schemes. I can't even believe people are stupid enough to click those links and participate, but it's often hard to notice when a link is cleverly disguised like this:

www.FreeBitCoins.com

That above link will get you free bitcoins, go on, try it.

qtronix

Activity: 596

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:12:03 PM

i don't no why people bother with faucets, why would anyone want to sit at a computer all day to earn a 1 dollar.

I think the idea is that todays 1 dollar could be tomorrows 100$.   I mean, someone sitting at a faucet collecting all day 2 years ago would have a bit to sell at today's prices.

true but it just seems like hard work for very little return.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 11:12:14 PM

So would someone who worked at McDonalds for a single day and used that money to buy BTC. 
UncleBobs

Activity: 103

It From Bit

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 11:26:18 PM

You might have gleaned from the internet that Bitcoin is by far the hottest investment of 2013.  Where you went wrong is in thinking that it is still being given away for free.  That applied 3 or four years ago, but since then Bitcoin has hit the bigtime.

What you need to do is sign up with Coinbase if you are in the US, or Bitstamp or BTC-E if you are in Europe or elsewhere, and send them some money.  Then you can participate.

Disobey the Thought Police.  Resist Totalitarian Humanism.
http://attackthesystem.com/?s=totalitarian+humanism
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:40:32 AM

You can find some more faucets that pay a bit better at http://free-btc.net.tf, but keep in mind that it still has a pretty low payout. After a month of hard work I've only earned about $6 myself, but if I'm lucky enough the bitcoins will get even more expensive later, and then it might be worth.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:15:33 AM

Buy the damn things

Giveaways are increasingly pointless. Too minuscule now.

mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 03:27:48 AM

i don't no why people bother with faucets, why would anyone want to sit at a computer all day to earn 1 dollar.

Why do people sit on the side of the street holding cardboard signs?  :-)

To the OP, don't gauge your confidence on Bitcoin by your inability to beg for something free, rather engage in it and take part.  Find a use for it, do some research and buy some coins.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Mentaso

Activity: 63

Bitcoin News-Reviews

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 05:24:39 AM

I suppose the answer is quite simple. The person wants some bitcoin and what better way to spend some time getting them just by clicking links. Its only some time and effort required and you will actually see the coins dropping into your wallet albeit dust... The next progression from the faucet would be to make even more bitcoin, so that person may then become a miner, a seller of goods and end up ruling the world...

tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:25:38 AM

Why do people sit on the side of the street holding cardboard signs?  :-)

I don't mean to be rude, but I find this comparison quite obtuse.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:26:20 AM

I suppose the answer is quite simple. The person wants some bitcoin and what better way to spend some time getting them just by clicking links. Its only some time and effort required and you will actually see the coins dropping into your wallet albeit dust... The next progression from the faucet would be to make even more bitcoin, so that person may then become a miner, a seller of goods and end up ruling the world...

Yes.  This is right!
Mentaso

Activity: 63

Bitcoin News-Reviews

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 11:38:18 AM

Yes.  This is right!

Sorry, its hard to take you seriously when every post you make earns you credit, hence the amount of posting after you just posted.
Those paid sigs are damn horrible and only sink this forum down to gutter level

Tun84

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:20:12 PM

I started in January 13.  I tried the faucets for few months when I had nothing better to do.  I made 0.03 BTC (and payouts were bigger back then).  So at today's value my faucet coin is worth ~$12.  The time I put into those faucets could have easily been spent more efficiently collecting recyclable cans at a nickle a piece.  This was when BTC was under $50.  Just $5 in cans back then would have got me 0.1 BTC instead of the 0.03 from faucets.  I don't recommend faucets - just purchase BTC even if you can only afford a small purchase.  Change a habit like drink one fewer coffee out a week or something, most anything will pay bigger than a faucet and if you look at your finances and habits/patterns I bet somewhere you can change something that will save money and have added health bonus.

Fortunately I was able to buy some coins under $50 back then...   
RobinW (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:19:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your comment. 
Some of them were very helpful.
Robin

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 12:24:07 PM

You can also try "cloud mining". For instance, cex allows you to buy mining capacity and then earn bitcoins for each block solved. It's easier and cheaper than mining at home. You can even trade the price movements.
ch3weh

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:09:16 PM

I started in January 13.  I tried the faucets for few months when I had nothing better to do.  I made 0.03 BTC (and payouts were bigger back then).  So at today's value my faucet coin is worth ~$12.  The time I put into those faucets could have easily been spent more efficiently collecting recyclable cans at a nickle a piece.  This was when BTC was under $50.  Just $5 in cans back then would have got me 0.1 BTC instead of the 0.03 from faucets.  I don't recommend faucets - just purchase BTC even if you can only afford a small purchase.  Change a habit like drink one fewer coffee out a week or something, most anything will pay bigger than a faucet and if you look at your finances and habits/patterns I bet somewhere you can change something that will save money and have added health bonus.

Fortunately I was able to buy some coins under $50 back then...   

All this talk of bitcoins being so cheap. I wish I'd have followed my instincts a few years ago and invested. I only jumped on the wagon a few months back. Still though, prices have risen quite nicely I suppose!
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 02:59:23 PM

In April this year I made a tentative start in Bitcoins.
I set up the software, and waited for it to sync....  and found it had used up all my internet traffic quota.
So I reduced maxconnections, then to gain confidence I went to 2 faucets and signed up for small contributions.  I sent each one a new address so I knew what had come from whom.
The faucets were:
daily bitcoins.org
bitcoinfaucet.at
I waited and waited, expecting something small to appear.  Still nothing, after 2 days!
So I tried 3 more:
freenitcoins.macdonaldboats.com
coinreaper.com
cointicket.org
Still nothing, after a week!

Early on faucets were a way to get more people into Bitcoin. I wouldn't expect to get much out of any faucet today.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: