Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:28:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain Protoshares to me like I am 5 years old  (Read 2218 times)
AndrewWilliams (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:13:01 AM

Please explain Protoshares to me like you would to a 5 year old. Thank you.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Johanna

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:15:42 AM

Please explain Protoshares to me like you would to a 5 year old. Thank you.  Wink

You need CPU to mine protoshares Smiley

AndrewWilliams (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:22:56 AM

That's it? So basically it's not able to be mined by ASICs? I guess that means that it was made to be resistant to the ASIC Wars (TM).  Cheesy

How profitable has it been so far? Thanks for the input.
Yurizhai

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:31:18 AM

Basically a deep space species known as the Protoss were facing annihilation by a virus on their homeplanet. Fearing absolute extinction the small population of them started a project to transfer most of their consciousnesses nto an AI like consensus. Unfortunately the project was never able to be fully completed and stabilized before a particular comet's distinct alloy makeup caused a major disturbance in the networking process. The interference shattered the consensus, with the comet picking up and reverberating pulses of the consensus within a vast radius of the comet.

ProtoShares are a crypto-currency that seek to run a similar algorithm to the network code discovered off one of the pulses of this comet. The main idea is to recreate the Protoss AI in some tanigble, meaningful way here on planet Earth. Opinions and ideas as to what will happen when that occurs are still murky, with the general idea being ascension or at the very least, mercy.
AndrewWilliams (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:33:31 AM

Basically a deep space species known as the Protoss were facing annihilation by a virus on their homeplanet. Fearing absolute extinction the small population of them started a project to transfer most of their consciousnesses nto an AI like consensus. Unfortunately the project was never able to be fully completed and stabilized before a particular comet's distinct alloy makeup caused a major disturbance in the networking process. The interference shattered the consensus, with the comet picking up and reverberating pulses of the consensus within a vast radius of the comet.

ProtoShares are a crypto-currency that seeks to run a similar algorithm to the network code discovered off one of the pulses of this comet. The main idea is to recreate the Protoss AI in some tanigble, meaningful way here on planet Earth. Opinions and ideas of what will happen when that occurs are still murky, with the general idea being ascension or at the very least, mercy.

Starcraft? So Protoshares is like the Zerg?  Grin

All kidding aside, I guess I was confused because shares was in the name, which is misleading, since it's really a coin (?).
Yurizhai

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:37:43 AM

ProtoShares are a crypto-currency that seeks to run a similar algorithm to the network code discovered off one of the pulses of this comet. The main idea is to recreate the Protoss AI in some tanigble, meaningful way here on planet Earth. Opinions and ideas of what will happen when that occurs are still murky, with the general idea being ascension or at the very least, mercy.

Starcraft? So Protoshares is like the Zerg?  Grin

All kidding aside, I guess I was confused because shares was in the name, which is misleading, since it's really a coin (?).

I'm not talking about the Protoss from the video game series, Starcraft. I was giving you a short explanation of what the ProtoShare project is all about.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:54:12 AM

Protoshares is a rapidly deflationary cryptocurrency based on a newer PoW called momentum.  It's designed so that the meaningful output of the currency by mining to the end users is in months rather than years.  The developer argued that despite this (a rapidly deflationary supply system) killing a lot of other alt currencies, in the case of ProtoShares this will be okay because eventually ProtoShares will become BitShares, something which the economist cunicula claims is a giant scam.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
belltown

Activity: 301

still can't change my profile pic

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:55:15 AM

Dude, its simple. For each Protoshare you gonna get 1 Bitshare! That's it. Simple, right? And bitshares are like freaking awesome, but I didn't promise to explain bitshares to you, kid  Cheesy

How I've earned 0.088 BTC for making few forum posts on LetsTalkBitcoin
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=707439.0 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 11:08:18 PM

That's it? So basically it's not able to be mined by ASICs? I guess that means that it was made to be resistant to the ASIC Wars (TM).  Cheesy

How profitable has it been so far? Thanks for the input.

They can be mined by ASICs, it's just that they are designed such that a protoshares ASIC would be very, very similar to a modern day Intel/AMD CPU.

However, if they ever became worth a lot it would be easy to create an ASIC for them that would be much *cheaper* then a CPU, since it doesn't use the FPU

ProtoShares are just a regular altcoin but they'll be converted into BitShares.  IMO BitShares are a completely ridiculous concept.

AndrewWilliams (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:38:08 AM

They can be mined by ASICs, it's just that they are designed such that a protoshares ASIC would be very, very similar to a modern day Intel/AMD CPU.

However, if they ever became worth a lot it would be easy to create an ASIC for them that would be much *cheaper* then a CPU, since it doesn't use the FPU

ProtoShares are just a regular altcoin but they'll be converted into BitShares.  IMO BitShares are a completely ridiculous concept.

I see. Why are BitShares so ridiculous? I've heard people beaming about it, but I'm really trying to figure it out for myself.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 01:41:59 AM

I think I need to open up a paywalled research website so we can get paid for explaining crypto, maths and economics to 5 year olds 

Cool
AndrewWilliams (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:00:31 AM

I think I need to open up a paywalled research website so we can get paid for explaining crypto, maths and economics to 5 year olds 

Cool

Or you can explain ProtoShares.  Smiley

I didn't ask for a lesson in crypto or economics, I want multiple perspectives on what makes Protoshares so great, not just hype.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:22:36 AM

I see. Why are BitShares so ridiculous? I've heard people beaming about it, but I'm really trying to figure it out for myself.

See cunicula's thread

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 05:26:40 AM

ProtoShares are a crypto-currency that seek to run a similar algorithm to the network code discovered off one of the pulses of this comet. The main idea is to recreate the Protoss AI in some tanigble, meaningful way here on planet Earth. Opinions and ideas as to what will happen when that occurs are still murky, with the general idea being ascension or at the very least, mercy.

^^

This is the accurate answer <CONFIRMED

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
cycloid

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:32:06 AM

^^

This is the accurate answer <CONFIRMED

LMAO Amazing stuff

ButchHashidy

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

...and the BitcoinKid

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:54:34 PM

lol I'm pretty sure protoshares are related to Invictus Innovations' decentralized autonomous corporations/communities, henceforth known as DACs. They're taking the idea of decentralized coins and applying it to entire companies, which in theory, is pretty revolutionary.  The way they explain it, is for every ProtoShare you buy/mine/own, it will be converted to every new DACs share, which is why people are saying if you get ProtoShares, you will own Bitshares when that project is finished, and you'll own stock in any other new DAC that's released afterwards.  And so far there's quite a few planned including a decentralized Youtube.  Whether they'll be successful we've yet to know.  But I'm pretty impressed by the theoretical implications of it all.  Do I own PTS?  No.  Do I want some ... well sure.

Some of the things protoshares (Invictus) claim to accomplish are some of the same things Mastercoin are working on.  Bitshares is similar to Mastercoins decentralized exchange.  BUt they're both using different techniques to provide real time ticckers for virtual versions of real world assets such as a virtual USD or virtual Gold.  THere's an entire forum dedicated to Protoshares and Bitshare and the DACs.  If you want to learn more, check it out......you adorable lil' 5 yr old, you

https://bitsharestalk.org/

Jumpin' Jack Hash is a gas gas gaas
YoyodyneSystems
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:00:01 PM

It's too wacky for me. Their site conjures ideas of Cults and sending people into space for 1000 years but using regular people as astronauts picked online
and funded by raffles.

Now DOGE coin. That is serious a serious financial instrument.
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:47:30 AM

Translation: It's not wise nor prudent to invest in things that one cannot or does not understand.
=============================================================

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: