Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:40:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Factor Auth Problems with Coinbase  (Read 1698 times)
rsears (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:48:20 PM

Anyone having the same issue today:

1) Go to login to Coinbase
2) No Two Factor SMS Arrives
3) Click "Code not working"
4) Select "Call me with my phone ending xxxx"
5) Receive call but with a recording that "An application Error has occured"
6) Repeat process until I get an actual code
7) Put code in website - says I have tried too many time, come back in 24 hours.
Cool Send email to crappy Coinbase support and get the "We are looking into your problem" BS email replay.

Thx
lencom

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:48:59 PM

Yep. Just be patient.. thats all :-)
rsears (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:59:48 PM

Yep. Just be patient.. thats all :-)

Figured as much...thanks
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 09:04:35 PM

pm the user "Olaf (coinbase)". He works at coinbase.

gp-caffeine

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:53:32 PM

I had issues with the calling feature, downloading the Authy app worked much better for me. If you have an iPhone or Android device I'd recommend taking that approach instead.
ozzie7274

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:51:33 PM

I've used Authy and Google Authenticator and haven't had a problem with either. I much prefer Google Authenticator since many more sites accept it and swapped my coinbase account from Authy to GA. I did read somewhere if it wasn't working to make sure your phone was "time synced"...........whatever that means.
TheFacilitator

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 01:46:09 AM

I tried to logged into coinbase with internet explorer and the shitty IE wouldnt display part of the site correctly. I logged out of IE and reminded myself that I should never use IE. I opened firefox and tried to log in to Coinbase again. But I must have done it too soon because I never got the 2 factor code. I tried again like 2 minutes later and it worked. Dunno if it had anything to do with the close timeframe between logins or if it was a coincidence. That may or may not be relevant to your particular issue...
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 03:27:50 AM

I've used Authy and Google Authenticator and haven't had a problem with either. I much prefer Google Authenticator since many more sites accept it and swapped my coinbase account from Authy to GA. I did read somewhere if it wasn't working to make sure your phone was "time synced"...........whatever that means.

Google Authenticator uses TOTP (Time-based One Time Pairing) codes, which only work if the time on your phone is the same as the time on the server you're logging into. If the times are different (more than about 30 seconds off), the server will have a different code than you and it will reject your code. "Time synced" means that your phone has the same time as the server, the button in Google Authenticator just checks it against the cell network's time to make sure it is accurate.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 08:41:31 PM

I set up google authenticator on coinbase for the first time and when I log in it never asks me for a code... so how does this thing work?

It works at mcxnow just fine (that is, if I only enter a password I don;t get in, but if I enter the password and 6-digit code form the authenticator I do get in). So I'm not sure if it's working on coinbase...

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 10:03:19 PM

Google Authenticator uses TOTP (Time-based One Time Pairing) codes, which only work if the time on your phone is the same as the time on the server you're logging into. If the times are different (more than about 30 seconds off), the server will have a different code than you and it will reject your code. "Time synced" means that your phone has the same time as the server, the button in Google Authenticator just checks it against the cell network's time to make sure it is accurate.

This. Coinbase tracks your ip and finds your location. Then sets its time to your timezone. Either your phone time is off, or your are using TOR, or a proxy.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: