Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:28:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: receiving coins from ICO is taxable?  (Read 106 times)
sv624 (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 05:59:44 PM

Hi,
In this video https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/04/16/fundstrats-tom-lee-makes-the-case-for-a-big-bitcoin-rally-post-tax-day.html?play=1

Around 0:46 seconds thru the video, Tom Lee says that "as soon as you receive coins from an ICO, that is taxable" .
I thought when you invest in an ICO, that is taxable because the price of ETH might be higher at the time of investing in ICO than when you actually bought the ETH.
Just receiving coins from ICO should not be taxable until you actually sell the coins.
Any thoughts on this, please?
Thanks so much

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Snaic

Activity: 658
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:18:59 PM

To search for the logic in the taxation, which is connected with the crypto currency, is useless. Everyone will have their own opinion and there will not be any sense in this. It is necessary to look at the tax laws of your country of residence and be guided by it. In my country, the crypto currency is not regulated and there is no taxation. Therefore, I still use relative freedom in this regard. However, what will be in the future, we'll see.

ZahaRip

Activity: 134

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:28:26 PM

In my country, there's taxation of everything you can touch. This is very deplorable, but few people pay taxes, because the government does absolutely nothing for the people.
hotBriX001

Activity: 224
Merit: 6

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2018, 04:46:23 AM

Hi,
In this video https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/04/16/fundstrats-tom-lee-makes-the-case-for-a-big-bitcoin-rally-post-tax-day.html?play=1

Around 0:46 seconds thru the video, Tom Lee says that "as soon as you receive coins from an ICO, that is taxable" .
I thought when you invest in an ICO, that is taxable because the price of ETH might be higher at the time of investing in ICO than when you actually bought the ETH.
Just receiving coins from ICO should not be taxable until you actually sell the coins.
Thanks so much

In my country receiving coins from ICO is not taxable yet because our government not yet recognized bitcoin or altcoins and there were no laws provided to get paid tax of the coins that we earned in ICO projects. Even if you sell your coins you did not required to pay tax with it but you must pay the transaction of the trading process in converting it into real money, but this is only in my country I don't really know about the others.

▬▬ ● ● Destream Fine Ecosystem for STREAMERS ● ● ▬▬
▬▬ ● ● STREAMER'S FINANCIAL ECOSYSTEM ● ● ▬▬
zenhu

Activity: 645
Merit: 266

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 04:51:41 AM

Are you from US mate ? Or any other country that allready make rule about cryptocurrency. If you not living in that country who have rule about cryptocurrency so tax is not something you have to worry.

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
PLATINUM STABLECOINS
USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ

───────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK         TWITTER         TELEGRAM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DeepChipolino

Activity: 658
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 05:09:09 AM

If ETH becomes more expensive, and we buy a security token, there should not be a tax. If, however, the utility token, that is, has value to provide services, then laws are necessary.
In my country, there are still no crypto laws.

vitkamenev

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 02:33:07 PM

I have no tax on cryptocurrency in the country. This is nonsense I think. The state does not help me to develop in the world of cryptocurrencies. And I have to pay tax? This is stupid!
dE_logics

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2018, 02:40:20 PM

I have no tax on cryptocurrency in the country. This is nonsense I think. The state does not help me to develop in the world of cryptocurrencies. And I have to pay tax? This is stupid!
The government wants to punish you for not using their fiat currency. And also to prevent you from hiding wealth and income there.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
bigcash2011

Activity: 1442
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2018, 02:43:36 PM

I think it is taxable in only fully regulated countries like usa, australia and few more, major part of the world still is tax free for crypto currencies, most of the governments are still illiterate about blockchain and crypto so they will take time accepting them.

Lodipetmalu

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 02:46:02 PM

It will depends on the country where you transacted. Like in our country, all related to coins from ICO is not yet taxable since it was not yet put into a law therefore government can not impose tax yet. They must pass a bill first for them to be taxable.
prehisto

Activity: 882
Merit: 112

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 02:47:00 PM

Hi,

Thanks so much

I believe that in at least part of the countries it is fairly simple.
You pay income tax on your tokens when you exchange them to FIAt and withdraw to your bank acc.

X L S L A B S ◉◉◉ INTERNET OF TRUST ◉◉◉ X L S L A B S
If you care about your personal data, you need to understand its future.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ TelegramTwitterBitcointalk ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬
lienfaye

Activity: 2926
Merit: 629

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:03:51 PM

What's the status of bitcoin/altcoins in your country? because this totally depends on which country you are from. Regarding taxation our government has no existing law yet regarding cryptos to address this issue hence we are at ease that our income by participating in ICOs and other related activities were still intact. However, as the users now are growing each day last year they released guidelines to balance interests of harnessing innovation.

CHENIEN

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:05:45 PM

This is a decentralized business system, and without any government taxes or a government tax free business, maybe those people talking about payments of taxes are missed understood about such payment involve, because tokens transactions has a form of gas up payment which used to transact tokens selling into ethereum.

iBid    ▐    Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain   (❪  ► About us   ► Telegram  ❫)
◾ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬            AN  AUCTION    ❱    All auctions start at    $0
[   ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store   ]  ██ SIGN UP ██  ❱   with no minimum reserve
rextoinsem

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 03:06:20 PM

the simple logic is that since any income should be paid tax. Income may mean a positive difference between the purchase price and the sale price. But why do pay this tax in the cryptocurrency world, if the losses (possible) you set no one.
sv624 (OP)

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:11:57 PM

Hi,
This question is for USA residents only.

I understand that tax must be paid whenever there is income.
For example, lets say I bought ETH yesterday at $600.
Today I invested in an ICO that allows US residents.
Lets assume ETH reached $650 today.
I have to report $50 as income even though I exchanged one coin to another without converting to fiat.
But in the video he says receiving coins from an ICO is taxable.
That is what I don't understand.
Thanks so much
BitcoinGuruOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:16:36 PM

I see this as any other work our income and I think it should be this way.
The only difference is that the income tax should be calculated the when you withdraw to your bank account because of the high fluctuations of the market.
At least now while the cryptos are not mass adopted this is the best solution.
mangkanor

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:54:11 PM

As far as i know it isnt.unless you are going to cashout you will get taxed.If you are going to cashout big amounts i would rather suggest to ask for someone who are willing to pay cryptocurrencies for cash so that there will be no hassle and questions ,taxes to put on your earnings.i dont want to get taxed by the government because cryptocurrencies are decentralized currencies.

ZahaRip

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 03:01:49 PM

the state has taxes and it will try to collect them from everything that can get. the state has a problem with the globalization of bitcoin. perhaps there will be a global tax that will divide countries.
zeze18

Activity: 938
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 03:03:57 PM

Hi,

Thanks so much

[/quote

But who can ask us for tax in crypto ?
Every wallet has anonymous ownership, so we can choose not to pay tax and also, from sending the tokens we've already pay tax as a transaction fee
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 07:55:58 PM

Not from where I live right now, there is no tax at all on crypto earnings so it does not matter where the coins come from, I don't have to worry about taxes. i do believe that we are going to start getting taxed soon for the crypto earnings. What I am most worried about are the back taxes if they decide to use that which would mean we could be paying a lot more than we earn.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: