Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:39:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does the general public know they can buy fractions of Bitcoin?  (Voting closed: November 21, 2013, 09:35:32 PM)
Yes - 25 (22.7%)
No - 85 (77.3%)
Total Voters: 110

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the general public know they can buy fractions of Bitcoin?  (Read 7600 times)
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 08:18:55 AM

It is just a matter of education. Knowledge will spread. People will learn. Just be patient. Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Painful Truth

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 02:07:54 PM

Answer is: No

- >> http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qsyp6/should_i_buy_one_bitcoin/cdg4yb9

raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:41:37 PM

I think there is another aspect of the perception of non-divisible bitcoins. While some people will be discouraged, others will buy one whole coin instead of their preferred amount. This could be one of the reasons why the price is constantly increasing.

alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:50:17 PM

First of all, this is NOT a discussion about the unit in which Bitcoin should now be denominated in. That's been discussed to death.

What I'd like to know is if people are thinking "that's too expensive - I can't afford to buy in".

Traditionally, stocks can only be purchased in whole units.

Although Bitcoin isn't a stock, the perception is that it can only be bought in whole units.

Agree/Disagree?

I had a friend who bought whole units, didn't know you could buy fractions.  It's not common sense by far.  I remember people talking about Silk Road too thinking they had to buy in increments of 1 BTC.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 06:51:16 PM

the general public does not care about bitcoins all the general public cares about is the all mighty fiat fake dollar  Wink

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 07:02:15 PM

The people ive talked with and who have given bitcoin more than 10 minutes of consideration get this. The othe people simply have no idea.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 08:28:35 PM

Nope, in general, people are quite ignorant of Bitcoin. Even the divisibility, which is a pretty simple aspect.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 10:45:39 PM

It's a common problem; we constantly have to inform people of the fact that bitcoins can come in fractions.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:21:42 PM

You've really not understood the reason for this thread.

The root cause is simple ignorance. It's not something you can change easily or without a massive budget for educating.

There's plenty of room for discussion - just not regarding things that have been rehashed over and over.

Also, this is a three part thread so I can't see how you'd know if this is a waste of time yet. However, if you're here to make yourself look smart or if you feel you're above it all then there's nothing I can do about that. Feel free to make yourself feel better.

So you're suggesting if the general public just KNEW they could buy fractional amounts, they would?  Delusional.  The root cause IS simple and it's that the general public doesn't care about Bitcoin.  Not in wholes, halves or fractions.  Why, because it's useless to them.  So yes, you can push your totally original thread  Roll Eyes of getting the exchanges to denominate Bitcoin in fractional amounts.  So glad you thought of that, as I've never seen a thread like that before.  And news flash, you can already buy fractions of Bitcoin's on every exchange I've ever used.  If you want to spend $100, you're likely to get a fractional amount, by default.  It's not rocket science.  You just type in how much you want to spend.  Shocked

I've never suggested that if the general public knew you could buy fractions that they would. Just that it will stop those who want to buy but don't have $650 to buy any.

Who said this was an original thread. Taking only the first post into consideration you can see I'm aware that it's discussed to death already.

You say it's not rocket science yet I reckon a lot of the public are put off buying simply because of this belief.

Where is your aggressive attitude coming from? lol

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 07:28:43 PM

The second part of this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=338144

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:27:57 AM

Many of the people I've talked to only want a whole bitcoin even when they find out they could buy fractions of them. They'd rather try to save up $700 for a single coin than buy .01 btc.
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 04:12:33 AM

This was a point I had to make to my parents that you don't have to purchase the entire coin.

But it is our job to educate those around us. You are confronting a fiat-oriented mind as that is all they have known. The concepts of Bitcoin's 8 decimal division is very foreign to accept, thinking of "1 Bitcoin" as a whole, unalterable unit, when really the denomination means nothing in a digital currency beyond a measure of 100 Million satoshi's. Plus there is a bias that decimals=small, as a decimal amount of 1 Dollar is a small amount, where in Bitcoin .1 BTC is actually a lot.

Shifting financial paradigms is never easy

mikeymillie

Activity: 370

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:19:16 AM

I think we just need to start using average person-friendly shorthand names for smaller divisions.   "mBTC" and "uBTC" sound alien and clinical and even after they become familiar they remain are ungainly to use in casual conversation. "Micro", "Milli" and "Nano" sound overly techy and convey a sense of "minisculity" which won't feel right when they are used in trade for real-world things like taxicab rides and movie tickets.  I was thinking something like "mikeys" and "millies" for microBTC and milliBTC respectably, and "Nannies" for nanoBTC.  Yes that's my username so I might be biased, but this is how I bounced the terms off a few of my non-BTC-aware associates in conversation while explainng that Bitcoin can be denominated much more flexibly than dollars or euros, and phrases like "so you'd pay 9 or 10 mikeys for a sammich and chips, point your phone at a QR code and map, paid and on your way.." seemed to roll off better than trying to use a term like microBTC or "A few thousands of a Bitcoin".  If not those terms than something else, so we can talk about Bitcoin without sounding like geeks trying to spread a technology fetish around. 
mikeymillie

Activity: 370

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:12:23 AM

I would love to see some kind of parity with or incorporation of
the word 'dollar' and its credibility halo effect,
but it might be too much to ask what with BTC / USD exchange rate
getting bitchslapped all over the place by FOREX and commodity traders
and (probably) North Korean operatives,
who only stop working on their bots long enough
to pinch themselves and make sure they are not dreaming this all up. 

also, lol. BTChslapped. 
sigh.
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:29:42 AM

The problem isn't whether they know or not.

Even if they did know, I don't believe it would affect their decision to purchase coins.

Think about how one would feel about owning 1 millionth of an ounce of gold. Not worth much at all. They wouldn't be very happy with using those small amounts of gold either.

Mathematical trickery won't make the bitcoin price skyrocket, in fact people will see past the illusion and send the price crashing down to earth as they see your manipulative techniques. To assume people are just going to play dumb is a stupid theory.

Buying fractions doesn't help anyone. Anyone who wants to buy products because prices are already seeing fractional amounts quoted as prices. We can't magically turn to satoshis think everyone will begin to think like pennies. In fact when you believe there are so many coins around, it destroys the fact that the coins are actually rare.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: