Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:29:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tribute to Len "rabbi" Sassama  (Read 10748 times)
nmat (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:01:07 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2011, 05:11:47 AM by nmat
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Could anyone explain what is this/how was this done?

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=BUB3dygQ

I know what 'strings' does. I just don't know enough about the bitcoin technology to understand what is the blk0001.dat file and how did they inject the strings there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 05:36:54 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

blk0001.dat stores all of the transaction data for the block chain.

So to "inject" data into it you transmit valid transactions that are then included in blocks. Dan crafted transactions that contain the tribute message.

I think it is a neat hack. ("hack" in the sense of "clever, non-obvious way to use technology")  I wonder how much it cost in transaction fees, or if he managed to do it entirely with free transactions...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:46:07 AM

That is just awesome.

I'm assuming this just appeared in the past day or 2?
(when I ran strings - it appears the tribute is right at the end of the file)

Where was this announced?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
nmat (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 06:02:44 AM

blk0001.dat stores all of the transaction data for the block chain.

So to "inject" data into it you transmit valid transactions that are then included in blocks. Dan crafted transactions that contain the tribute message.

I think it is a neat hack. ("hack" in the sense of "clever, non-obvious way to use technology")  I wonder how much it cost in transaction fees, or if he managed to do it entirely with free transactions...

Thank you for the explanation. So I assume it has something to do with this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Script#Transaction_with_a_message ?

I found this yesterday on twitter. I don't know if it was announced anywhere. I also think this is a great hack. Kudos to Dan Smiley
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:39:35 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2011, 09:58:00 AM by makomk

Thank you for the explanation. So I assume it has something to do with this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Script#Transaction_with_a_message ?

I found this yesterday on twitter. I don't know if it was announced anywhere. I also think this is a great hack. Kudos to Dan Smiley
Nope, that doesn't work anymore since it's pretty much impossible to get non-standard transactions like that included in a block. What they actually did was to create a transaction to a bunch of specially-crafted destination addresses which contained the text data where the public key hashes would normally go - that's why each line is exactly 20 characters.

(Edit: That's probably also why the message says 'LEN "rabbi" SASSAMA' when his name was Len Sassaman.)

This appears to be the transaction in question - looks like he paid 0.92 BTC to do this, 0.15 BTC of which went to fees and 0.77 BTC of which was rendered irretrievable by being sent to a bunch of addresses for which no private key exists.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 11:06:15 AM

ok.. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this...

Given Len Sassaman was apparently right into things like tor and various privacy enhancing technologies
e.g - being on the committee of "Financial Cryptography and Data Security '09"

and given that mybitcoin seems to have been using some sort of tor system and was setup in a highly privacy oriented way...

Was Len Sassaman  actually Tom Williams of mybitcoin?

Anyone got any tidbits of information which could rule out this little piece of speculation?

nmat (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 12:07:21 PM

Well, he was from Belgium. Isn't MyBitcoin american? I think you are pushing it a little too far Tongue
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 12:17:37 PM

Well, he was from Belgium. Isn't MyBitcoin american? I think you are pushing it a little too far Tongue

Who says it's American?
Anyway..  listen to Len here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZNebWoqnc
He sounds American to me.

Also..

Tom Williams  -  3 chars, 8 chars
Len Sassaman - 3 chars, 8 chars

Coincidence?   

nmat (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:20:15 PM

Who says it's American?

Also..

Coincidence?   

I think you should email Dan Kaminsky. He clearly knew Sassaman and he might know something about that... Here is his website: http://dankaminsky.com/
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:35:19 PM

Who says it's American?

Also..

Coincidence?   

I think you should email Dan Kaminsky. He clearly knew Sassaman and he might know something about that... Here is his website: http://dankaminsky.com/

Dan Kaminsky  - 3 chars, 8 chars

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:35:35 PM

Who says it's American?

Also..

Coincidence?   

Dan Kaminsky  - 3 chars, 8 chars

Conspiracy, conspiracy everywhere

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:43:08 PM

ok.. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this...

Given Len Sassaman was apparently right into things like tor and various privacy enhancing technologies
e.g - being on the committee of "Financial Cryptography and Data Security '09"

and given that mybitcoin seems to have been using some sort of tor system and was setup in a highly privacy oriented way...

Was Len Sassaman  actually Tom Williams of mybitcoin?

Anyone got any tidbits of information which could rule out this little piece of speculation?

YES.  And Aliens visited earth millions of years ago and set apes on the path to becoming modern humans.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 12:21:25 AM

Also OP, it's Sassaman, not Sassama

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
nmat (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 12:44:35 AM

Also OP, it's Sassaman, not Sassama

Yes, but, due to the 20 char limit, in the blockchain appears Len "rabi" Sassama so I will leave the title that way Wink
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:06:14 AM

The "new dependency on ascii bernanke" thing is just referring to the fact that bernanke's face is now in the blockchain, right?  Or is there something that I missed?
nmat (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:06:41 AM

The "new dependency on ascii bernanke" thing is just referring to the fact that bernanke's face is now in the blockchain, right?  Or is there something that I missed?

Yes, I think that's it. Because all blocks created from now on depend on his ASCII face  Tongue
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:12:31 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2011, 04:21:58 AM by fcmatt

post edited. i forget that the -n in the strings command was not the amount of lines outputted
but the minimum length for a string to be shown.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:45:56 PM

I've been waiting for people to 'skywrite' using bitcoinmonitor and some cleverly-timed transactions. Only problem is you have to get above the 'noise floor' of 50 BTC for it to really be visible. Perhaps a 10k BTC smiley-face? Why not, you'd just have to transfer it to another wallet you already control.

If anyone sees something like this, please point it out.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:23:49 PM

I already hear the "WTF WEREZ THE [NSFW] TAG!!??!?!?,11?,??"

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:16:56 PM

Well, this thread has certainly taken an odd turn.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: