Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:53:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new user using cgminer on linux  (Read 791 times)
Noruka (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 02:27:15 AM

hello everyone,
I have been mining bitcoins for awhile on my windows machine and ASIC miner and i just purchased a litecoin machine so i could start doing some litecoin mining on linux. I am having a huge problem and i cannot figure out why it is.

I am following CryptoBadgers guide somewhat since alot of it is older information. I am also on Xubuntu 13.10. When i get to the scrypt making i want to bypass that and just run the program for now....but i cant seem to properly install it.

https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2635.0.html

i have installed the latest AMD drivers and when i run an aitconfig --adapter=all --odgt they display with temps so i know its not a driver problem.

I can also run fgl_glxgears and it works flawless

i tried downloading the .build CGminer current file as instructed in the guide but after compiling it with the jar jxvf command i cannot open cgminer at all

I even tried downloading the regular 3.8.2 file from the cgminer site and running ./configure, make and make
 install commands i still cannot open the program. It even completes but i still cant run it.

i even followed this guide http://www.distrogeeks.com/install-cgminer-latest-ubuntu/
i got all the dependies and AMD-APP-SDK but every time i make-install a cgminer file i get nothing when i type cgminer in CD.

Does anyone have an idea of why i can't seem to go through the whole process of compiling CGMiner but i cannot run the program? I always have the option of picking up a small HDD at the store and just putting windows on this machine to mine with but i really want to keep my litecoin miners in Linux if i can help it.

any help would be appreciated. Also please remember that i literally started learning linux yesterday. If anyone has a good guide link that can direct a brand new Ubuntu user correctly for CGMiner i would greatly appreciate it. thanks
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 03:45:02 AM

cgminer no longer supports mining scrypt, aka litecoin

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 10:06:59 AM

I always have the option of picking up a small HDD at the store and just putting windows on this machine to mine with but i really want to keep my litecoin miners in Linux if i can help it.

Stop !

Dont ever go back to windows that breaks all sorts of ethical and moral laws.

As per ckol~ just said , he should know , you are talking to the man there,  thats the dude that wrote the code .

It would be silly to be compiling 3.8.x  lots of people are using 3.0.x or 3.1.1...

Anyhow start by giving the good community here some errors , in Linux (unlike many other systems) the errors are meaningful and will help you.

And help us help you . Im a learner also ...

So lets start with you done a git clone etc....

Or lets start with how did you get cgminer ?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:27:59 PM

i'm using 3.6.4 and it compiles nicely.

try entering ./cgminer in terminal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: