Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:32:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [TROLL] Important Announcement Regarding the Mybitcoin.com Downtime  (Read 12065 times)
Christian Pezza

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:20:34 AM

I give him a shot, what we have to lose? at list there is a try!

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:23:20 AM

It's kind of ironic that the community doesn't trust Joe average to back up his wallet properly but has blind faith that Bitcoin related services will keep multiple back ups of their data.

Honestly, backing up your wallet.dat is not that hard. Anyone can get three cd's and make three copies. There is no excuse.

Being a business is harder because new addresses are created and you have to do it regularly but still, its nothing specially complicated.

For being so technologically intelligent, I think what you said is completely idiotic.  This kind of naivete only adds to peoples' reluctance to join Bitcoin.  Yep, everyone knows how to back-up a hidden file and recover it without risk of losing their BTC in the event something goes wrong.  Sure.  Sure they do.

Edit:  I'll give you being a business is harder.

So you think copying a file (wallet.dat) into a couple of cd's or usb drivers or whatever is something only people with a computer science degree can do? How hard is to copy a file in a couple of cd's?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:36:00 AM

It's kind of ironic that the community doesn't trust Joe average to back up his wallet properly but has blind faith that Bitcoin related services will keep multiple back ups of their data.

Honestly, backing up your wallet.dat is not that hard. Anyone can get three cd's and make three copies. There is no excuse.

Being a business is harder because new addresses are created and you have to do it regularly but still, its nothing specially complicated.

For being so technologically intelligent, I think what you said is completely idiotic.  This kind of naivete only adds to peoples' reluctance to join Bitcoin.  Yep, everyone knows how to back-up a hidden file and recover it without risk of losing their BTC in the event something goes wrong.  Sure.  Sure they do.

Edit:  I'll give you being a business is harder.

So you think copying a file (wallet.dat) into a couple of cd's or usb drivers or whatever is something only people with a computer science degree can do? How hard is to copy a file in a couple of cd's?

First of all, flash drives are very unreliable.  I copied mine to a flash drive and the thing broke and I didn't even have to touch it.  That's what happens when a USB has a poor soldering job.

Second of all, ask my mom or dad how easy it is to do.  Go ahead.  I dare you.  Then tell them that depending on your computer's settings the file might be hidden when you search for it.  Then tell them how to uncover the file.  Then tell them how to retrieve the coins in the event that the original wallet is lost.  See how 'easy' it is for them to understand.  And these are middle class citizens who have had a computer in their home for ~ 20 years -- the 'average' population.  Contrary to what you think, many people don't even own computers let alone have a clue how to begin to navigate one.  You just lost most of the 50+ generation if they were to read that.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 08:39:26 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2011, 08:50:23 AM by lacedwithkerosene

This idea was conceived on the somethingawful forums. One member outlined a plan to make this post if someone could get him a mybitcoin logo. So no, its not Tom Williams.

But there's stairs in this thread.

petercyr

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 08:40:24 AM

I think the point is, if you understand bitcoin and understand how to setup a service like this, backing up the bitcoin wallet would be the least of their concern... There's simply no excuse and believing that it could actually be true is an insult to these people's intelligence.

Not that I want to give them too much credit, its still hard to believe someone would't have at least a couple backups..
Gabi
Legendary

Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:46:20 AM

Luckily i have 0 bitcoins in these online services and what else.

Also if an attacker get access to wallet.dat it can simply move them to another wallet

Departure

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:48:22 AM

Guys please... Think about the real Tom Williams skilled enough to create a website such as "mybitcoin" and has been running this site for a long time now, In other words he knows how bitcoin works and has the skills. Do you really believe there is no backup and buy into the FBI story?? come on he has probably been around bitcoin longer than most of us here going by the amount of time the site has been up and running. Sorry im not buying this at all....
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:50:06 AM

Guys please... Think about the real Tom Williams skilled enough to create a website such as "mybitcoin" and has been running this site for a long time now, In other words he knows how bitcoin works and has the skills. Do you really believe there is no backup and buy into the FBI story?? come on he has probably been around bitcoin longer than most of us here going by the amount of time the site has been up and running. Sorry im not buying this at all....

Exactly.  It's far more plausible he ran with them Sad
Gabi
Legendary

Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:51:57 AM

He called the CYBERPOLICE

conseguences will never be the same  Shocked

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 08:53:40 AM

This is not the owner of mybitcoin.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:00:29 AM

Is this a system you have physical access to? Chances are you could use something like recuva or encase to recover a wallet.dat file since in most cases "deleting" something doesn't really delete anything at all... Depends on the filesystem/OS/etc of course, and it certainly wouldn't count as "touching" the system since you're only reading data.
As far as I know, my utility for recovering bitcoin private keys is probably still the best option - though it doesn't recover any other information from the wallet.dat like account information, and obviously it can't recover any external databases used to store account details. A lot of recovery tools are based on file magic numbers, and BDB doesn't seem to have any obvious ones. (Of course, that would only help in the unlikely event the original post isn't a troll.)

This idea was conceived on the somethingawful forums. One member outlined a plan to make this post if someone could get him a mybitcoin logo. So no, its not Tom Williams.

Where? I don't remember seeing any mention of this, but I haven't looked hard and it sounds plausible...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 09:04:03 AM

Where? I don't remember seeing any mention of this, but I haven't looked hard and it sounds plausible...

A poster on page 366 of the GBS thread came up with the idea and said to PM him the logo and he would edit out that part of the post. He apparently got the logo and the post was indeed edited.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:21:58 AM

mods should close this thread imo

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 09:44:33 AM

OP is not owner of mybitcoin.com thread frozen.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: