Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:26:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up bitcoind on vserver or locally - Need some advice  (Read 790 times)
Tomtheman2 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

Litecoinminingparts.com

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 02:24:53 PM

Hi,

I am looking to set up a gambling site but am confused about the set up of the wallet.

So far, I have bitcoin-qt set up on my computer, set up the bitcoin.config file with my username and password with server=1. All the correct ports seem to be open as I currently have 20 connections to the bitcoin network. But, I cannot figure out my host and port needed for the game site to find the wallet.

Will the host be my routers IP address, or my computers IP address? When I check if the ports are open on a testing site, the router IP on 8333 is open but the computer IP on 8333 is not. Which one am I meant to input as the host?

I would prefer to run my wallet locally but if this is not possible, what is the next best thing to do? Have bitcoind running on a VPS?

If so, what is the best VPS to use? Must it be running Linux?

Is there a comprehensive guide anywhere on the best

Or are there a companies that can set up and host bitcoind for you?

Thanks in advanced.

Litecoin Mining Parts - Powered Extra Long PCI-e Risers - Dual PSU Cables - Fast World Wide Shipping - High Quality Cables
 - For 10% OFF all cables, Use the discount code iloveltc at checkout.
www.litecoinminingparts.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
didjaydisteele

Activity: 96

All For Bitcoin!

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:07:30 PM

Running a BitCoin server is rather easy, and should only take a few minutes to configure. Depending on the abilities of your networked computers, you could take in a few BitCoins in a shorter period of time.

You'll need to create a file bitcoin.conf, which defines the username and password for clients to connect. This file will need to be in your Application Data folder, which was a hidden folder on my windows machine in C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\Bitcoin. Make sure that when you create the bitcoin.conf file, that it is not really named bitcoin.conf.text if you made it on notepad.
Tomtheman2 (OP)

Litecoinminingparts.com

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 04:49:22 PM

Running a BitCoin server is rather easy, and should only take a few minutes to configure. Depending on the abilities of your networked computers, you could take in a few BitCoins in a shorter period of time.

You'll need to create a file bitcoin.conf, which defines the username and password for clients to connect. This file will need to be in your Application Data folder, which was a hidden folder on my windows machine in C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\Bitcoin. Make sure that when you create the bitcoin.conf file, that it is not really named bitcoin.conf.text if you made it on notepad.
Hi,

Thanks for the answer but I have set up my .conf file already with my username and password within the correct file location.

But, I cannot figure out my host and port needed for the game site to find the wallet.
Will the host be my routers IP address, or my computers IP address? When I check if the ports are open on a testing site, the router IP on 8333 is open but the computer IP on 8333 is not. Which one am I meant to input as the host?

Thanks,

Litecoin Mining Parts - Powered Extra Long PCI-e Risers - Dual PSU Cables - Fast World Wide Shipping - High Quality Cables
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 04:58:14 PM

Just a guess, but I think the site should be connecting to your routers external IP address. The router should allow port 8333 through its firewall and forward that traffic to your computer, which should also have port 8333 open on its firewall.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:04:13 PM

You need to set Allowip flag in your conf, cause if you don't then it defaults to 127.0.0.1 So this is probably the issue.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 05:10:14 PM

How do you know your hosting provider won't steal your coins? They will have unrestricted root access to your machine.

Tomtheman2 (OP)

Litecoinminingparts.com

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

Ok I know have 3 IPs to choose from.
My router IP
Computer IP
and my main IP address found at whatmyip.com or whatever.

I have gone into my router settings again and set port: 8333, TCP and the ip address of my computer and saved this rule. So from my understanding, the site should connect to myroutersip:8333 > then it will route to my computers IP and find bitcoin qt?

Just a guess, but I think the site should be connecting to your routers external IP address. The router should allow port 8333 through its firewall and forward that traffic to your computer, which should also have port 8333 open on its firewall.

You need to set Allowip flag in your conf, cause if you don't then it defaults to 127.0.0.1 So this is probably the issue.
I have added the 3 IPs I have available as listed above on individual lines too.

Tomtheman2 (OP)

Litecoinminingparts.com

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 08:27:17 PM

I have added the 3 IPs I have available as listed above on individual lines too.

Allowip is the ip that will communicating with the bitcoind, not the ip you want to listen on. So this is the server that has the code that will be sending queries to the bitcoind.

Thanks for the info, I have found this IP out and added it to the file. I am still getting this error from the test site when trying to connect with
Host: my routers external IP
User:
Pass: both correct
Port: 8333

Not able to connect  http://user:pass@routerip:8333

I am missing something crucial here?

I did some tests and the port 8333 is open on my routers external IP, my computers IP but my routers IP (the one you type in to edit the settings) the test results never finish loading? If I do a test on my computer IP http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/network-tools/online-port-scanner.php, it comes up as offline/unreachable but if I test it within Network Utility > Port Scan, it shops the TCP Port: 8333 is open.

Do you think I need to put my wallet on my server?

Thanks for the help again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: