Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:14:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I got merits, lots of them - do you want some??  (Read 2961 times)
theyoungmillionaire

Activity: 375
Merit: 1021

Just in case no one loves you, I love you 3000.

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 07:03:58 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2018, 07:16:27 AM by theyoungmillionaire

I English is great and my topics are decent.
Hi, CryptAssist,

Welcome in!

It’s not just how great your English is, but the way you contribute to our bitcointalk community. Members need to understand your idea, beliefs, and viewpoints on a particular discussion you joined in. This forum is not a popularity club; if it is the basis then I won’t have my merits, because I am a newbie just like you. I do not want to talk about “how to get merit(s)”; I will let you take care of that; just do not pressure yourself. Relax.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Annapelova

Activity: 111
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 07:42:28 AM

You are right about most things... but I disagree about the bounties. It's not $20, some people already make a good living with it – both managers and bounty hunters, and they are not necessarily from the third world. For me, this is beyond fascinating. And even if they are from the third world... isn't this what crypto is all about? Inclusion, decentralization, liberty. I don't want to get political about it, although it's an interesting discussion. Everyone has to start from somewhere – some made millions with bitcoin while others are happy to get a few free bucks, just because they can. It's just a different point of view.

Sure, there are a lot of people who spam and flood the forum as they are here for the breadcrumbs and yet it is still amazing to observe this process. Don't worry, natural selection will do its job. Remember YouTube in the 90s? Back then, no one believed you can use the Internet to make money while very few contrarians made millions.

My prediction is that in 5-6 years from now, bounties and crypto will take working online to a whole new level. There will be bounty millionaires as there are YouTube millionaires. I bet 1 BTC on it  Grin

Maybe I should write a detailed post to explain my point of view as I feel very passionate about this topic, beyond the financial aspect of it. 
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2018, 07:46:52 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2018, 08:01:55 AM by tbct_mt2

Nice recommendations, TMAN.

I am not sure whether readers of the topic have already known about my recent topic which contains links to books on English vocabulary and grammar in use, so I simply give you link to my topic as small contribution to help non-native English users in the forum improving their post quality, at least in terms of English usage.
Collections for someone who would like to improve English skills.
Guideline on posting images - with size adjustments, hyperlinks
Tips for newbies, who want to avoid over-quoting
I think it is time to spread link to my topics out for newbies to change their ways when posting in the forum.

For someone, who have already known about it, just skip my thread.
Hope it helps!
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 02:38:05 PM

I try to be conscientious about awarding merit (for as long as I have it) to good quality posts, especially those composed by newbies, but I face a similar struggle in that so many of the posts I come across are problematic. Either I can't understand them or they truly add nothing to the discussion.

If you want to award merit responsibly, it is almost a full time job, and you end up reporting more posts, and ignoring more members, than you award with merits.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure I could take on yet another full time job. I think I have to let the good merit worthy posts find me, as in I encounter them organically, as opposed to going out looking for them. I've never reported any posts, though I have used the ignore button. Does reporting spam posts accomplish anything? Honest question. What happens next when a bad post gets reported?

I've been involved in this forum for over five years but I haven't taken much interest in the dynamics of the forum itself until recently.
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2018, 02:43:34 PM

So, let's simply call it as one of the most magical impacts of merit system, in particular on such experienced Ledgendary like you, wiser.
I've been involved in this forum for over five years but I haven't taken much interest in the dynamics of the forum itself until recently.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:59:26 PM

So, let's simply call it as one of the most magical impacts of merit system, in particular on such experienced Ledgendary like you, wiser.

Sure. LOL! From what I can tell, the merit system seems to be working beautifully.

I have a question: Should I be reporting newbie posts that keep asking the same questions that have already been addressed in the "newbies, read first before posting" thread?"

A particular favorite question is "how do I get merits?" It would seem that those posts would fall under the redundant post ban rule.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2018, 05:19:16 PM

I have a question: Should I be reporting newbie posts that keep asking the same questions that have already been addressed in the "newbies, read first before posting" thread?"

A particular favorite question is "how do I get merits?" It would seem that those posts would fall under the redundant post ban rule.

I just skip over those posts, and leave it to somebody else to decide if they should be kept.

I report the foreign langage posts in an all English thread. Also, I report the post repeaters. The other ones that I find fairly frequently are the plagiarism ones. If a post looks to be out of character, ie. it seems to be too good, then I check it for plagiarism. One of the triggers for this is a post count in the hundreds, but without any merit awards. I wish posters would realise tht posting large numbers of low value posts, actually damages their chances of getting merit if they do happen to make a decent post.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 06:47:04 PM

I just skip over those posts, and leave it to somebody else to decide if they should be kept.

I report the foreign langage posts in an all English thread. Also, I report the post repeaters. The other ones that I find fairly frequently are the plagiarism ones. If a post looks to be out of character, ie. it seems to be too good, then I check it for plagiarism. One of the triggers for this is a post count in the hundreds, but without any merit awards. I wish posters would realise tht posting large numbers of low value posts, actually damages their chances of getting merit if they do happen to make a decent post.

Have you ever followed up on posts you've reported? What happens to them, to the user?

As for the endlessly repeated questions in the beginners and help section, does anyone really do anything about them? It would be nice to have that section cleaned up so it's full of truly valuable resources for newbies.
Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2018, 07:07:37 PM

I don't bother to follow up, and I got the hump because my accuracy rate dropped to 97%. Of course, I think it should be 100%, or I wouldn't have reported the post. Smiley

With regards to the repetitive rubbish, I think that should be sorted by restricting new members to a few boards. That would solve a lot of the problems.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
Dhanems

Activity: 448
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 09:01:43 PM

Thank you so much for this informative tips😉I got a tip from you yes,I agree that poor English is the cause of no merits..and honestly I speaking hard in English😁but I tried😉
tnguye01

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 10:09:39 PM

Thanks.  This is very helpful!
petyang12

Activity: 352
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 10:18:58 PM

I want to have a merit for the reasons that is trusted and giving a helpful idea and good opinion to helping one project oor other purposes im jr.member now waiting who willing to give free merits i hope that let everyone be good to others.
Seriously? Did you read the post that begging merit is a BIG NO? Bitcointalk is not for beggars who will only ask what they want, you have to work for it and also we're here to learn and share tips/guidines and knowlodge about crypto. Don't think merit as a barrier that will stop you from achieving your goals.

I am new to to Bitcointalk forum some of my friends suggested me if you want to learn more about Bitcointalk forum then go to the meta section you will learn very useful things. Than I found this post, this post is very useful for me as I want to improve my English. This post shows direction for how to improve English verbal and written which is useful in this forum but also in real life. I will surely follow this post direction and improve my English.
If you want to learn ENGLISH then you should open the link @TMAN provided in this thread and also there are lots of english tutorial in youtube, if you don't have much time for english tutorial then ask for someone with english skills.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▀▀▄     T F S     ▄▀▀▀ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Move Your Game To The Next Level
[    TG GROUP    ]  [  TG CHANNEL  ]  [     TWITTER     ]  [     MEDIUM     ]
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2018, 09:50:29 AM

Have you ever followed up on posts you've reported? What happens to them, to the user?

That is easy to do now. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=reportlist;mine

So if you try reporting a few of those repetitive posts you'll see what happens to them.

You can also look at https://bitcointalk.org/modlog.php to see post deletions and user bans.

I don't bother to follow up, and I got the hump because my accuracy rate dropped to 97%. Of course, I think it should be 100%, or I wouldn't have reported the post. Smiley

It's really nothing to worry about. Accuracy above 90% is really good and the important thing is the ones that did get handled.

As it says on that report page:
Do not worry about your accuracy too much; one accurate report is worth many inaccurate reports.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 08:00:27 AM

Hi, Thanks TMAN for starting this tread and it is very informative to persons like me who eager  to learn English language which is not my native language. I have already prepared a chart that would be helpful for peoples who eager to learn grammar when writing.

Past                                          Present                                                         Future

Simple                      S + V2 + O                                          S + V1 + O                                                  S + “will” + V1 + O

Perfect                 S +”had”+ V3 + O                          S +”has/have(not)”+ V3 + O                        S +”will/be going to have”+ V3 + O

Continuous        S+”was/were”+ (V1-ing) +O              S+”am/is/are(not)”+( V1-ing) + O                    S+”will /be going to be”+ (V1-ing) + O

Perfect Cont..   S+”had(not) been +(V1-ing) + O   S+”has/have(not) been +( V1-ing) + O      S+”will /be going to have been”+ (V1-ing) + O

S  - Subject
O  - Object
V1 - Verb root
V2 - Simple past verb form
V3 - Past participle verb form

Please feel free to correct me if i have done some mistake Smiley

Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2018, 08:09:32 AM

One of the problems with English is that it obeys certain basic rules, except when it doesn't. Smiley

Ypur future options such as "be going to have been" sound very cumbersome to me, and I'm not sure where I would use them.

vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 12:45:26 PM

One of the problems with English is that it obeys certain basic rules, except when it doesn't. Smiley

Ypur future options such as "be going to have been" sound very cumbersome to me, and I'm not sure where I would use them.

Yeah,thanks for pointing out that Smiley.But I have seen that some people's are writing "He is going to have been working for three years when it finally closes." Do you think this kind of practice is grammaticaly wrong or just cumbersome to people?
Larster

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 04:28:19 PM

I'd say that merit system could be more of like it is in Reddit, where it is really easy to get karma points. If you need to be professor in English and have dived deep into the Crypto ocean and have a profound understanding of the whole world that surrounds us - then it is not a community friendly approach.
Suares

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 05:02:28 PM

In addition, I would advise to work on the design of the post. To be honest, your post is also not very convenient to read, the main points are not highlighted and everything merges into one. Such posts are often missed
heritage35

Activity: 462
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:06:51 PM

You do not need to be a Professor of English, for you to be able to speak and write good English. I appreciate the guide you gave in one of your posts. For you to make your posts relevant you have to learn how to give good and constructive posts with minimum flaws if not perfect.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1582

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:40:55 PM

Regarding all this, I think that mentions to "third world countries" as a diminishing term should be avoided all together. I think that does not require an explanation for most people with a couple of neurons+ on their brains, but just in case:

1 - Among the things you don't choose in life are your parents, the place you are born and the language that is spoken on it.
2 - A crappy post is a crappy post and an informative one can even be written poorly and is still great.

Lastly, I wonder if any of the people on this forum that are constantly telling others to learn English have ever made a personal effort to learn another language before preaching others to learn theirs. Those who try may discover new cultures, new ways of thinking, but mostly they will discover by themselves the magnitude of the task that they are demanding from others in the name of some self-given superiority.

Just look for good information and forget about the comas.

- paxmao - proudly able to speak 3 languages, none of them correctly.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: