Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:40:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bears Bunker - Official thread  (Read 12068 times)
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:59:13 AM

What indication would lead you to believe miners are cashing any of their mined assets? If I was mining I'd be holding off as long as I could right now.

Also Can someone explain this recent behavior on bitcoinity... during selloffs there are massive swings in the price, almost as if someone is recognizing the selloff and actively buying into it to create some support level?

Also, the coordinating moves across networks (once between Gox & BTCChina, and recently between Gox & Bitstamp)... is this just a result of bots? Any insights?

Elon Krusky

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:32:28 AM

Anyone alive? Just checking? NMC and LTC have also seen huge speculative runs. Any insights?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
davider

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 09:53:13 AM

What are the current bear opinions? The bull opinions are very well known.
Bid sum on Gox is starting decreasing a little bit. 2000$ then crash?
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:57:32 PM

My experience tells me I shouldn't look at the bid/asks. They can change anytime.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:13:16 PM

I dont believe we will make 2000 this year, not enough fiat for that and infrastructure of exchanges is already struggling as we speak. 1500 (Gox only) is the ceiling I think.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 06:17:44 PM

Good morning. I'm not normally a bear, but recent events are beginning to bring my ursine side out of hibernation.

I am with my family in rural Washington for the weekend. In the local small-town newspaper, I saw an editorial article about bitcoins. It talked about the price movements of BTC and altcoins for 60% of the article, gave a brief discussion of what it is for another 20%, and spent the last 20% with a brief quote from an economist who mentioned the usual criticisms of any private currency.

Do you see? A small-town newspaper runs an article about Bitcoin, and it's mostly about how the price is going up and up. To me, this is the doorstep of "Aunt Flo buys into this hot new thing without understanding it at all", which - in the traditional path of the bubble - is the beginning of the end, as the last possible pool of buyers are exhausted.

Your thoughts?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:20:09 PM

which paper?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Crazy

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:20:54 PM

Unfortunately, though that article is helpful, you could gauge this sentiment just by reading the forums and looking at member join dates. The more "get rich" and paranoid reassurance threads ("will it crash?" "is this the top?" "will we go higher?" "predict the top") the more likely we are in a territory of people just buying to make money and not investing in an idea for the sake of the idea and helping it advance.

Elon Krusky
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 06:25:52 PM

which paper?
Peninsula Daily News

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:34:38 PM

I would be more concerned if it was Eastern WA, the peninsula is very much in the orbit of Seattle, plus Neil Stephenson lives out there.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 08:57:07 PM

There are a few people who are truly btc devotees and will not sell no matter what. But most people are just sitting on their hands at the moment and just waiting for the right time to dump and make a killing. Probably once the price retraces say x%, there will be a tremendous rush for the exit but the door is only so wide.

That's an important point. At some point, there will be profit-taking. The Bitcoin "exchanges" will suddenly be required to pay out sums in excess of a billion dollars.  Mt. Gox has trouble paying out much of anything, and some of the other exchanges are flaky.

Think about this. We have unregulated "exchanges" run by anonymous parties holding huge sums, which they may have to pay out.  Historically, over half of Bitcoin exchanges have failed, usually taking the money. How many will actually pay up when it's time to wire transfer a few hundred million dollars?
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:29:13 PM

Nagle. I demand of you to show up in this 2 years old thread and provide an update on the eventual endgame: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55024.0

Alternatively, update your website downside.com.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 11:18:04 PM

It's taken much longer than I expected for the irrational exuberance to subside.

What still hasn't happened is substantial use of Bitcoins for buying real-world goods. This last runup is because Bitcoin can be used to get around exchange restrictions in China. There's still little non-speculative use. (Satoshi Dice does not count as "non-speculative")

Right now, Bitcoin Charts shows all exchanges headed down.

We have an interesting event coming up - on the next downturn, many new speculators will cash out and will demand money from exchanges. Some of the exchanges aren't going to make it.
Crazy

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:19:59 PM

We have an interesting event coming up - on the next downturn, many new speculators will cash out and will demand money from exchanges. Some of the exchanges aren't going to make it.
That'd be scary.

Elon Krusky
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:22:27 PM

(Satoshi Dice does not count as "non-speculative")

Of course it does! Gambling's part of the entertainment business.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 11:23:05 PM

That'd be scary.

No funny. Laugh!  Cheesy
Crazy

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:24:03 PM

I would if I didn't have some fiat tied up on some exchanges.

Elon Krusky
drnick

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 05:51:19 AM

Why would the exchanges not have the required funds to pay out? If you sell your bitcoins on an exchange, there must be a buyer with fiat on the exchange ready to buy it.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 07:30:39 AM

Thanks Nagle, at last I am satisfied. Smiley
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 07:35:40 AM

Why would the exchanges not have the required funds to pay out? If you sell your bitcoins on an exchange, there must be a buyer with fiat on the exchange ready to buy it.
They're supposed to, but all they're really doing is exchanging ExchangeBTC for ExchangeUSD and then processing withdrawals, but only for those who request it. A significant amount of money is stored on exchanges because banks suck and it takes a long while to actually move fiat around. To that significant group of people, it makes sense to keep some money on exchanges long-term for short-term trading.

An exchange can have $10M in ExchangeUSD IOUs, but actually only have $5M in USD to pay out. This fractional reserve system (or in this example, probably insolvency) works so long as there isn't any kind of "bank run" on the exchange.

MtGox and BTC-e (maybe BTC-e still does - Idunno) used to have "code money." That is, you could withdraw fiat and BTC in the form of GoxUSD or GoxBTC - debt notes, represented by a hash, similar to Bitcoin. You could trade these notes around, and they offered excellent advantages, but also the very serious drawback that Gox may not honor the IOUs. These IOUs, it should be noted, are effectively the same as the balance you see in your account on an exchange -- they're not necessarily representing actual money. When Gox started issuing these IOUs as a withdrawal method, there was a very slight premium over face value due to the convenience they offered. However, when Gox's future started looking uncertain, GoxUSD and GoxBTC started trading at a discount under face value. This was because the debt notes (the same as account balances in exchange accounts) may not have been fully backed by Gox's reserves. Gox eventually discontinued issuing these debt notes due to regulations.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: