Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:56:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I know very few people here really care...  (Read 4174 times)
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:20:32 AM

Can't decide if OP is just a troll, or genuinely incapable of waiting a few years for a new idea to become accepted.

revans, you do realise that Bitcoin is trying to grow from nothing to becoming a competing world currency. The only way for it to get there is for the market cap to go from zero to several hundred billion dollars. If we manage that within 10 years, it will involve phenomenal growth, something along the lines of what we're seeing right now.

Good things come to those who wait.

Wrong.

Your lexicon betrays your true motives...market cap; ffs

If Bitcoin is to be a real currency its relative value to that which it seeks to supplant is irrelevant. The way for its value to grow is by providing value by becoming a ubiquitous medium of exchange. Indeed, that was the plan initially, then somewhere along the way that idea was ditched and the speculators moved in.

Wow you need to re-charge your brain. Evil speculators are the only reason you made your post, because without them bitcoin would still be IRRELEVANT and nerds would still be buying pizzas for 10,000btc. I agree with you that bitcoin is more important than getting rich, and this process of eclipsing the USD by an utter magnitude is proof positive that the philosophical position is the correct one. If bitcoin can't survive this terrible run-up then it's DOOMED anyways.

Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:22:04 AM

For 99.99% of the Bitcoin community this is irrelevant as you are involved purely to profit, you have no ideological interest in the underlying concept, but for those who are genuinely interested in alternative currency models it's a pending disaster.

My my, how pretentious. How could you possibly imagine that you know why we are here.

Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:23:02 AM

Can't decide if OP is just a troll, or genuinely incapable of waiting a few years for a new idea to become accepted.

revans, you do realise that Bitcoin is trying to grow from nothing to becoming a competing world currency. The only way for it to get there is for the market cap to go from zero to several hundred billion dollars. If we manage that within 10 years, it will involve phenomenal growth, something along the lines of what we're seeing right now.

Wrong.

If Bitcoin is to be a real currency its relative value to that which it seeks to supplant is irrelevant. The way for its value to grow is by providing value by becoming a ubiquitous medium of exchange. Indeed, that was the plan initially, then somewhere along the way that idea was ditched and the speculators moved in.

Wow you need to re-charge your brain. Evil speculators are the only reason you made your post, because without them bitcoin would still be IRRELEVANT and nerds would still be buying pizzas for 10,000btc. I agree with you that bitcoin is more important than getting rich, and this process of eclipsing the USD by an utter magnitude is proof positive that the philosophical position is the correct one. If bitcoin can't survive this terrible run-up then it's DOOMED anyways.

Yep, that's exactly right.

Revans, I suggest you read this post: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1mb27q/bitcoins_vast_overvaluation_appears_caused_by/cc7i6y8

It lays it out quite nicely.
revans (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:27:28 AM

Wrong.

It seems impatience is the curse of the age.

The value would rise slowly and steadily as ubuquity and retailer acceptance grew. The problem is people want their revolution to happen overnight, and this ultimately curses their ambitions.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:53:19 AM

My my, how pretentious. How could you possibly imagine that you know why we are here.

Had he said 99.99% of the capital in Bitcoin is purely chasing speculative profit, he would probably be not far of it.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:55:54 AM

There's nothing quite as depressing as watching the whole explosive bitcoin price increase the last several days and having all my bitcoins tied up in Coinlenders.  Hope you all bought a while ago when it wasn't nearly this expensive, and didn't invest badly as I did.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
favelle75

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:59:19 AM

You cant destroy Bitcoin. Even with 1$/BTC you can still use it as f*cking BITCOIN

Truer words seldom spoken.

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
███████  ████████  ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
████████████  ████████  ████████████
████████████  ████████  ████████████
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
jasonjm

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 02:24:22 AM

but if bitcoin was $1 how would I buy my new yacht?

its $16 million, and there are only 11 million something BTC?

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
zubelutte

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:36:12 AM

The speculators will move on when it crashes, the winners will take their winnings and the losers will lick their wounds. The people left behind who are ideologically invested and not just financially so will find they've been left salted earth.

No even this bubble and big crash will help adoption of Bitcoin. People will spend more coins when they know price can crash big anytime...

Just holding is speculation
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:52:19 AM

When I first heard of Bitcoin, I thought it was an ingenious anti-establishment venture, and I decided that I was going to put 500GBP into it just to support the venture....but I never did.

Around the time of the first Bitcoin Crash (July 2011), when some US politician very kindly publicised Silk Road, I was right on it, with hundreds of Bitcoin passing through my hands in exchange for manner of exotic mind altering substances. At this point, I seen the huge potential of a highly liquid digital asset, anonymous enough to be used for transactions in Class A substances (and also much more nefarious items no doubt). I thought at this point, (Bitcoins ~ $10 USD), that I was going to put a few grand into the coin as a wild card investment that may just pay off, but I never did.

Then the March/April 2013 came around. I was holding only 2 Btc in my wallet. I called it out as a bubble as Btc passed 50 USD, and never got involved (again, much to my personal chagrin). I witnessed the hubris on this site and other sites, full of clueless tools with their cowcrap paradigms of what was driving Bitcoins. Then April 14th came around, we know what happened. I viewed the whole phenomena as hugely destructive to Bitcoin's future as the sort of underground digital currency that I thought it might be, and for this very reason, did suspect that the bubble/crash phenomena was deliberate, and suspected that it would happen again, and again, until one day, it couldn't, or wouldn't be allowed to happen again. I swore that next time, I was going to get and hold until the parabolic stage. I got in, and sold at $330 (again, much to my chagrin), immediately sensing the error of my ways, I tried to get 5K of GBPs wired across to my Bitstamp account. In the week that has went past since (funds still not at Bitstamp), Bitcoin has doubled. Now, after the parabolic and erratic behaviour today, there is no fkn way am I putting a penny of my hard earned dosh into Btc. If history is anything to go by, the top could be 300% of profits away from me getting cold feet and turning bearish, but the crash will come and it will once again, be hard.

Next time around, after the crash and the price begins to show stability at a certain level once again, I will be diving into Bitcoin with a sizeable proportion of my personal capital, and will see how long I can ride the waves before cashing out like a little pussy some 300-400% from the top.

Point is, in my personal estimations, Bitcoin has went from an interesting anarchic innovation, to a real contender as a reliable alternative currency that can allow the little man to operate out from under the nose of corporate governance, to the ultimate speculative roller coaster device. The reality today, is that 99.9% of the Bitcoin fraternity are seeking massive profits.

I very much agree with the salted Earth analogy, but like everyone else, would also glady profit from the cannibalisation of something that could have transformed humanity for the better, in order to improve my personal lot in the current corrupt petrodollar economic hegemony.

Point is, in my personal estimations, Bitcoin has went from an interesting anarchic innovation, to a real contender as a reliable alternative currency that can allow the little man to operate out from under the nose of corporate governance, to the ultimate speculative roller coaster device. The reality today, is that 99.9% of the Bitcoin fraternity are seeking massive profits.

I very much agree with the salted Earth analogy, but like everyone else, would also glady profit from the cannibalisation of something that could have transformed humanity for the better, in order to improve my personal lot in the current corrupt petrodollar economic hegemony.

I find it ironic how you complain about the profit seekers when you yourself are trying desperately to buy low and sell high. I would think that someone who is truly interested in bitcoin as a potential revolutionary technology would at least buy and HOLD a decent amount of bitcoins no matter what.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 03:53:21 AM

I find it ironic how you complain about the profit seekers when you yourself are trying desperately to buy low and sell high. I would think that someone who is truly interested in bitcoin as a potential revolutionary technology would at least buy and HOLD a decent amount of bitcoins no matter what.

As my post states, Bitcoin lost any such potential quite some time ago.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:33:45 AM

Yep, that's exactly right.

Revans, I suggest you read this post: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1mb27q/bitcoins_vast_overvaluation_appears_caused_by/cc7i6y8

It lays it out quite nicely.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
ZetaOS

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:35:06 AM

...but this ridiculous price bubble will destroy Bitcoin and probably all other cryptocurrencies when it pops. For 99.99% of the Bitcoin community this is irrelevant as you are involved purely to profit, you have no ideological interest in the underlying concept, but for those who are genuinely interested in alternative currency models it's a pending disaster.

The speculators will move on when it crashes, the winners will take their winnings and the losers will lick their wounds. The people left behind who are ideologically invested and not just financially so will find they've been left salted earth.

u suck

Mine the easy way - CEX.io Build your own cloud miner!
Goedkoop bitcoins? www.koop-bitcoin.nl
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:42:55 AM

Even theoretically there will never be more than 21 million Bitcoin. In order it to became even relatively adopted money the price will have to go to the "ridiculous" heights.

But that isn't going to happen, get off the kool aid. Bitcoin isn't really seeing wider acceptability as a day to day currency,  but there is a lot of effort going into making it a better tool for speculation. Like I say, it will end badly.

We will see about that.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:49:29 AM

...but this ridiculous price bubble will destroy Bitcoin and probably all other cryptocurrencies when it pops. For 99.99% of the Bitcoin community this is irrelevant as you are involved purely to profit, you have no ideological interest in the underlying concept, but for those who are genuinely interested in alternative currency models it's a pending disaster.

You have not been correct in any one of your predictions thus far. Why don't you give it up already, troll?

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
pollsteer23

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:36:50 AM

What we are witnessing is the only way bitcoin could go from zero to hero. Each bubble crash cycle will get more people involved increasing the overall skillset. Yes, many will abandon after the next crash, just like they did after the last two. But not all, so the number of people using it as currency will grow. This pattern is now very obvious to anyone who has been watching for long enough. A better question is whether there is a term for this phenomenon and whether it has been studied before or is unique to bitcoin.

I do not mean to say there is zero chance bitcoin becomes useless sometime soon, but if it does it will not be for reasons of volatility and speculating.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:00:36 AM

revans You do understand that the sharp corrections are caused by people like you (well, people with your mindset but with money)? Those who don't really think bitcoin's value is in the 5-6 digits and try to sell each "peak". If it werent for your scared types, we might have just grown to where it belongs and stayed there. But herd mentality makes getting used to new high prices hard, so scared people run to the exits at the first sign of weakness. But it won't be like that once we reach 10-100k per coin, it would more or less then steadily grow at 5-10% yearly. You just need to exit the market since you're weak, for several years preferrably.

i am satoshi
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:19:43 AM

When I first heard of Bitcoin, I thought it was an ingenious anti-establishment venture, and I decided that I was going to put 500GBP into it just to support the venture....but I never did.

Around the time of the first Bitcoin Crash (July 2011), when some US politician very kindly publicised Silk Road, I was right on it, with hundreds of Bitcoin passing through my hands in exchange for manner of exotic mind altering substances. At this point, I seen the huge potential of a highly liquid digital asset, anonymous enough to be used for transactions in Class A substances (and also much more nefarious items no doubt). I thought at this point, (Bitcoins ~ $10 USD), that I was going to put a few grand into the coin as a wild card investment that may just pay off, but I never did.

Then the March/April 2013 came around. I was holding only 2 Btc in my wallet. I called it out as a bubble as Btc passed 50 USD, and never got involved (again, much to my personal chagrin). I witnessed the hubris on this site and other sites, full of clueless tools with their cowcrap paradigms of what was driving Bitcoins. Then April 14th came around, we know what happened. I viewed the whole phenomena as hugely destructive to Bitcoin's future as the sort of underground digital currency that I thought it might be, and for this very reason, did suspect that the bubble/crash phenomena was deliberate, and suspected that it would happen again, and again, until one day, it couldn't, or wouldn't be allowed to happen again. I swore that next time, I was going to get and hold until the parabolic stage. I got in, and sold at $330 (again, much to my chagrin), immediately sensing the error of my ways, I tried to get 5K of GBPs wired across to my Bitstamp account. In the week that has went past since (funds still not at Bitstamp), Bitcoin has doubled. Now, after the parabolic and erratic behaviour today, there is no fkn way am I putting a penny of my hard earned dosh into Btc. If history is anything to go by, the top could be 300% of profits away from me getting cold feet and turning bearish, but the crash will come and it will once again, be hard.

Next time around, after the crash and the price begins to show stability at a certain level once again, I will be diving into Bitcoin with a sizeable proportion of my personal capital, and will see how long I can ride the waves before cashing out like a little pussy some 300-400% from the top.

This is your brain on drugs.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:31:04 AM

This is your brain on drugs.

lol.

That was some sad rambling sack.

But at least he is starting to believe.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:29:03 AM

If you see the Chinese investments in buildings, then you may see clear of Chinese madness.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀