Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:26:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN QT NOT RECOGNIZING PASSPHRASE  (Read 1808 times)
shankopotamus (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:41:58 AM

Angry

When I encrypted my wallet (Bitcoin QT), I did so with a 12 character passphrase. I checked it about a thousand times before committing to it...even had my wife read the characters back to me after I checked them. I wrote it down, printed it out (paper backup)...etc. etc.

I have 3 BTC on the wallet - and today decided to move some back to Coinbase to have some to "play with".

Much to my dismay...Bitcoin QT is telling me my passphrase is wrong.

I'm not stupid and as mentioned, I took ridiculous steps to ensure I copied everything correctly.

Please help. A reward will be given in BTC for anyone who can.

Cheers,
Shankopotamus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SnitraM

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:37:54 AM

When I encrypted my wallet (Bitcoin QT), I did so with a 12 character passphrase. I checked it about a thousand times before committing to it...even had my wife read the characters back to me after I checked them. I wrote it down, printed it out (paper backup)...etc. etc.

I have 3 BTC on the wallet - and today decided to move some back to Coinbase to have some to "play with".

Much to my dismay...Bitcoin QT is telling me my passphrase is wrong.

I'm not stupid and as mentioned, I took ridiculous steps to ensure I copied everything correctly.

Have you tried both with Caps Locks off and _on_?

Numlock (if you're using the keypad)?

Different keyboards?

Locale differences?

Any patches to the OS since last successful time?
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:17:35 AM

Type out the passphrase in notepad or some other editor to check if it really comes out the way you think it does. Capslock and accidental keyboard-layout-swaps can cause this type of confusion.

Did you successfully unlock the wallet with this passphrase before? In other words: Are you sure you used the passphrase you intended when you first encrypted the wallet? Writing it down on a piece of paper won't help much if you accidentally entered it with capslock enabled.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:21:10 PM

Type out the passphrase in notepad or some other editor to check if it really comes out the way you think it does. Capslock and accidental keyboard-layout-swaps can cause this type of confusion.
better yet, type it in notepad, then copy+paste into bitcoin-qt.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:12:09 PM

better yet, type it in notepad, then copy+paste into bitcoin-qt.
This is indeed the only way to be sure of what you type in bitcoin-qt

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:03:34 PM

I locked myself out of a wallet before....

Turns out, I typed the passord with CapsLock on so it proved opposite of what I thought. I had a hunch, and it worked. It's usually PEBCAK. (PROBLEM EXISTS BETWEEN CHAIR AND KEYBOARD)
shankopotamus (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 12:35:58 AM

Did you successfully unlock the wallet with this passphrase before? In other words: Are you sure you used the passphrase you intended when you first encrypted the wallet? Writing it down on a piece of paper won't help much if you accidentally entered it with capslock enabled.

ALCON: happy to report that after several hours of focus time (crazy to think I spent that much effort for 12 character encryption) - I "cracked" my own code. Good thing too...given the recent activity!
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:13:51 AM

If your passphrase is only 12 chars (which, by the way, is way too small), read this thread carefully:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

Come back if you need any help.

EDIT: read until the last sentence before replying... Congrats anyway Grin

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: