Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:45:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Origins of Bitcoin  (Read 1031 times)
mcdett (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 02:49:24 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 07:29:23 PM by mcdett

Did a little sleuthing today upon arriving to the office.  I had remembered something from an old book I've had for more than 12 years.  A book I used to help write some encryption classes in Java before Java offered them.  I remembered that the author presented a payment system leveraging a protocol hashing and encryption.  This wasn't my interest at the time, but somehow it stuck with me.  Well I found the book again and did some reading (I've put this off too long).

"A really clever thing about this protocol is that the encryption key for each message depends on the previous message.  Each message doubles as an authenticator for all previous messages.  This means that someone can't replay an old message; the receiver could never decrypt it.  I am impressed with this idea and expect that it will see wider use once it becomes widely known." [1]

I don't have the first edition of this book, so I don't know exactly when this was penned, but not after 1995.

[1] - Schneier, Bruce (1996). Applied Cryptography Second Edition : protocols, algorithms, and source code in C. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 590
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 07:59:03 PM

http://www.schneierfacts.com/   Cheesy

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:18:29 PM

Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days.

bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 09:00:30 PM

this concept is a fairly basic cryptographic primitive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_chain

-bm

Did a little sleuthing today upon arriving to the office.  I had remembered something from an old book I've had for more than 12 years.  A book I used to help write some encryption classes in Java before Java offered them.  I remembered that the author presented a payment system leveraging a protocol hashing and encryption.  This wasn't my interest at the time, but somehow it stuck with me.  Well I found the book again and did some reading (I've put this off too long).

"A really clever thing about this protocol is that the encryption key for each message depends on the previous message.  Each message doubles as an authenticator for all previous messages.  This means that someone can't replay an old message; the receiver could never decrypt it.  I am impressed with this idea and expect that it will see wider use once it becomes widely known." [1]

I don't have the first edition of this book, so I don't know exactly when this was penned, but not after 1995.

[1] - Schneier, Bruce (1996). Applied Cryptography Second Edition : protocols, algorithms, and source code in C. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 590

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: