Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:57:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mises on BitCoin  (Read 5873 times)
Steve (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2011, 04:49:02 PM

Someone on the Mises Institute forum had this to say about BitCoin:

"One day, while I was learning about cipherspace, I discovered BitCoin.  BitCoin is a completely decentralized, anonymous online monetary system that relies on a distributed database to facilitate transactions.  The creator put a great deal of effort into ensuring that the system is secure and reliable.  Unfortunately, there are no real assets backing he currency of BitCoin (and no coercive government backing it either).  Thus ends BitCoin."

(url to the post is here: http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/9853.aspx)

Myself, I believe the inherent value of gold is the fact that no one can manufacture it out of thin air (yes, they can mine it, but there are significant costs to that), it can be traded anonymously, relatively small amounts of it have a high value (which is due to its scarcity on earth), and it has world wide marketability.  It does have some value as a conductor and jewelry, but I believe that is insignificant relative to its value as a money.  I believe BTC has these same monetary attributes and hence I believe the view of this poster (that a money needs some tangible asset backing) is incorrect.  I am curious what people here think.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 04:54:15 PM

I made a 500 dollars bet on the success of the bitcoin economy.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:01:28 PM

I made a 500 dollars bet on the success of the bitcoin economy.

How is "success" defined for this wager?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Local

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM

If something doesn't have use value it can't bootstrap to having trade value.

Oh wait, nevermind Tongue
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:03:33 PM

It's a success if kiba can one day sell the $500 worth of BTC that he bought for more than $500.00 :-)
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:21:18 PM

10,000 people using it. Media coverage said or perhaps estimate.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 07:43:53 PM

10,000 people using it. Media coverage said or perhaps estimate.

So if the NYT's runs an op-ed about bitcoin and the author estimates more than 10K people using it at any given time period, you when?  How could you lose, is there a time limit?  Does the Mayberry Register qualify, or TheBlaze.com?  I could esimate that more than 10K people have used bitcoins for something since Jan 2009 right now.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 09:07:57 PM

Myself, I believe the inherent value of gold is the fact that no one can manufacture it out of thin air (yes, they can mine it, but there are significant costs to that), it can be traded anonymously, relatively small amounts of it have a high value (which is due to its scarcity on earth), and it has world wide marketability.  It does have some value as a conductor and jewelry, but I believe that is insignificant relative to its value as a money.

This is one of the best descriptions I've ever read about the value of gold as a currency.  Thank you.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 11:05:32 PM

So if the NYT's runs an op-ed about bitcoin and the author estimates more than 10K people using it at any given time period, you when?  How could you lose, is there a time limit?  Does the Mayberry Register qualify, or TheBlaze.com?  I could esimate that more than 10K people have used bitcoins for something since Jan 2009 right now.

10,000 people by 2015.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 02:00:13 AM

Myself, I believe the inherent value of gold is the fact that no one can manufacture it out of thin air (yes, they can mine it, but there are significant costs to that), it can be traded anonymously, relatively small amounts of it have a high value (which is due to its scarcity on earth), and it has world wide marketability.  It does have some value as a conductor and jewelry, but I believe that is insignificant relative to its value as a money.  I believe BTC has these same monetary attributes and hence I believe the view of this poster (that a money needs some tangible asset backing) is incorrect.  I am curious what people here think.

Well, I just think exactly the same.

Zerbie

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 03:30:43 AM

The value of BitCoins will be limited to:

1. The future infrastructure to deal with the massive number of potential transactions.
2. The security of personal computers.

If these two things can be overcome, BitCoins could theoretically replace the current currencies.  If not, BitCoin will be relegated to the fringe.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 03:55:29 AM

1. The future infrastructure to deal with the massive number of potential transactions.

If these two things can be overcome, BitCoins could theoretically replace the current currencies.  If not, BitCoin will be relegated to the fringe.

I agree with 1.  Indeed I'm not sure bitcoin could be used simultenaously by billions of users.

However, point 2. is not limited to bitcoin.  If security of personnal computers is compromised, then any electronic transaction is.  Not just bitcoins.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 04:31:15 AM

I agree with 1.  Indeed I'm not sure bitcoin could be used simultenaously by billions of users.

Really?

You don't think if bitcoin gets really successful and there are hundreds of millions of dollars poured into engineering efforts for it (and if it is wildly successful, big companies WILL invest huge amounts of money on it), that any scaling problems won't get solved?

I bet I could find people predicting a few years ago that Facebook would never be able to scale to billions of users (it was written in PHP for pete's sake!).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 05:19:08 AM

Another newbie with the sole insight into the great bitcoin flaw.  Seriously guys, this gets old.  Don't you guys ever think that we've already considered all this before you arrived?  Search the forum history before opening mouth/insert foot.  We get tired of explaining this stuff repeatedly.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 06:21:29 AM

You don't think if bitcoin gets really successful and there are hundreds of millions of dollars poured into engineering efforts for it (and if it is wildly successful, big companies WILL invest huge amounts of money on it), that any scaling problems won't get solved?

Well, if you present it like this, I guess it could Wink

After all, we only have one implementation.  There is a lot of room for improvement.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 10:19:43 AM

Another newbie with the sole insight into the great bitcoin flaw.  Seriously guys, this gets old.  Don't you guys ever think that we've already considered all this before you arrived?  Search the forum history before opening mouth/insert foot.  We get tired of explaining this stuff repeatedly.

Yep, I remember discussing it several times...
Move along, nothing to see here.

Sjalq

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 07:53:59 PM

<quote>
Unfortunately, there are no real assets backing he currency of BitCoin (and no coercive government backing it either).  Thus ends BitCoin.
</quote>

Geez, this is some bad economics from the Mises forum of all places. I agree with you Steve, the above statement is incorrect. BitCoin is not valuable because it is backed by a real asset, it is valuable because it serves the role of money. Gold also is not valuable because it is a "real asset" it is valuable because it to serves in the role of money.

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3
Steve (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2011, 12:14:43 AM

Geez, this is some bad economics from the Mises forum of all places. I agree with you Steve, the above statement is incorrect. BitCoin is not valuable because it is backed by a real asset, it is valuable because it serves the role of money. Gold also is not valuable because it is a "real asset" it is valuable because it to serves in the role of money.

The title is a bit misleading...I should stress it's just a forum posting, not anything official from the Mises Institute.  One thing I've thought about is what if another cryto-money just that functioned just like BitCoin appeared.  What would that do to the value of BitCoin?  The value of BitCoin is directly related to the community of people that use and exchange BitCoin.  In a very real sense, when you own and hold BitCoin, you are investing in that community.  You are increasing the value of the btc in circulation and thus enabling others to use their btc holding to further build out the btc infrastructure (should they choose to use their btc in such endeavors).  It is in a sense like buying shares of a company, except in this case, it's a community rather than a company.  The more people build out the infrastructure around btc, and the broader btc it is adopted, the more valuable the btc itself becomes.  I know what I'm stating is probably obvious to most, but I like saying it. Wink

So, to the extent that another crypto-currency is able to gain broad adoption and builds out its infrastructure, it would compete with btc.  However, I think there is quite a bit of room for a number of crypto-currencies to grow.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Sjalq

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2011, 07:12:24 AM

Same thing would happen that happened to Social Networking. One dominant leader would emerge and once dominance is established the leader would need to really mess up to lose poll position.

This is imho the biggest threat facing BitCoin, not government interference.

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 05:08:00 PM

Some at the Mises Institute are too atached to gold, but there are a lot of misesians in the bitcoin community.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███