May 06, 2024, 11:39:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe UABB is a...
Viable Service to Bitcoin (my belief)
Scam
Fraud
?, for I'm holding back judgement at this time.
or, I always vote for the humorous option, just because!
Self Important Fuckwit

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: UABB is a...  (Read 16419 times)
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:37:12 PM

I'm beginning to think that whoever wants to see Bitcoin fail - his easiest strategy might probably not be buying gazillions of GPUs but to just sow the seeds of discord within the community Sad

Just saying...

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BillX

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:37:18 PM

Doesn't scam involve stealing money from someone? Did they ever ask for any money? I don't get it. They never did anything.. How can you classify them as fraud, scam, heroes, whatever?
He did, not on wis website in his individual postings on this forum. That gives the idea of "Hey, I need money, but not right now because I have it. I'll tell when I do later on". That gives people the idea that he might really be ligit when all it really is just a way to get his talon's into his mark better.

Take a look at the description of a "Cluster B Narcissist". It seems to fit him to a T. Once these people take root in something its almost impossible to get rid of them. Best to nip them in the bud.

Symptoms:

Grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
Preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
Believes that they are "special" and unique and can only be understoody by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
Requires excessive admiration.
Has a sense of entitlement i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with their expectations.
Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve their own needs.
Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of them.
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
Treatment Considerations:
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:38:11 PM

I have been baffled from the very start why anything I am doing could be even remotely constrewed as a scam. I hear the "qualifications" argument, and it hits close to home. I'll work on that one, because I have a passion for my work. I hear the "unprofessional" or "rude" argument. Brought on by the public's own actions, but hey, needs work too! I'm on it!

What I don't understand is how I went from sitting up all night long on a conference call with multiple people in the Bitcoin community going over this idea with them and having them all say "Fucking fantastic, do it!" to almost EVERYONE in the community associating my with the likes of spreadsheet game runners.

Does no one know that I am a good programmer and earn my reputation painfully? Does no one realize I am the one who made BIT-FU, all in Jquery, by hand? Does no one know that I have at least 10 years of business experience-- INTERNATIONALLY? Does no one understand that I'm still virtually new to Bitcoin and am just a caring person who wants to be USEFUL?

Am I taking crazy pills or is EVERYONE completely likeminded and biased from the start against anything that smells like its potentially useful, unless THEY made it??

If the op is even remotely depressed, how the hell do you think it makes me feel? These are all human beings here, who have total control of what they want to think and say, and are choosing to bite at me like I was some kind of a rabid dog, out to ruin Bitcoin for everyone. What in god's name is wrong with this community? I come from a community of developers where when Joe makes a program, everyone says "Good job Joe! Let's work together to make that better!". Here it's like, Joe makes a program and there are 3 responses.

"Fuck you Joe"
"That's never going to succeed"
"Thanks for making that, I really appreciate it, that's why I'm going to steal it and call it my own"

Wow. Just wow. /end rant

In a moment of absolute honesty, once the clock hits midnight, I do get way too vocal and liberal with my communications and should probably refrain from even posting past that hour (it's 1am now for a prime example).

If you haven't come to grips with the fact that 90% of the internet is indeed a "hive mind" in my opinion that is just naive. (No offense, I think what you are doing is great. See my signature.) Especially in a venue like this where people deal with technology's latest and greatest every day; you have to come to the table with proof that you are a game changer.

If you watch you see a pattern in the "game changing" ideas that rise and fail. The expectation people have for representatives of real businesses and associations to articulate themselves correctly with proper grammar and poise themselves gracefully in the public eye is just a small part of those failures.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 04:39:05 PM

UABB is spam! the guy behind it may have good intentions.
but he is annoying!

Thank you kindly for your opinion, kokjo. I'll assume you voted that UABB is spam.

You hear that, Matthew? Quite coming across as so annoying. Let's see if he listens, kokjo. Thank you, again, for your comments.
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:40:20 PM

I don't think it's a scam, but:

(1) Yes, too many posts that are there just to get the name out.

(2) It appears to be a one-man operation, which is fine, but he acts like it's a multinational conglomerate with 100's of agents working on his behalf.

(3) The photo might be real, but for some reason it looks like a stock photo you'd get from one of those sites that also has customer service people with headsets, and that woman sitting indian-style in front of her laptop with her arms in the air.  If it is a real photo, it seems a bit off to get a professional photo for the forums.  If it's not, that seems suspicious, since it's not clearly an avatar.

(4) For all the talk and even glancing at the website, I still have no idea how exactly they intend to operate or how they expect to protect consumers.

(5) Still waiting for them to ask me to pay X BTC to get a UABB certified logo on my site, and then telling people that you should only trust sites with official UABB certification.
BillX

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:40:41 PM

I'm beginning to think that whoever wants to see Bitcoin fail - his easiest strategy might probably not be buying gazillions of GPUs but to just sow the seeds of discord within the community Sad

Just saying...

I have a feeling that GPU buying thing was something close to the Russian check cashing scam when the sender ends up footing the bill. 20,000 gpus my foot...
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 04:47:34 PM

I have been baffled from the very start why anything I am doing could be even remotely constrewed as a scam. I hear the "qualifications" argument, and it hits close to home. I'll work on that one, because I have a passion for my work. I hear the "unprofessional" or "rude" argument. Brought on by the public's own actions, but hey, needs work too! I'm on it!

What I don't understand is how I went from sitting up all night long on a conference call with multiple people in the Bitcoin community going over this idea with them and having them all say "Fucking fantastic, do it!" to almost EVERYONE in the community associating my with the likes of spreadsheet game runners.

Does no one know that I am a good programmer and earn my reputation painfully? Does no one realize I am the one who made BIT-FU, all in Jquery, by hand? Does no one know that I have at least 10 years of business experience-- INTERNATIONALLY? Does no one understand that I'm still virtually new to Bitcoin and am just a caring person who wants to be USEFUL?

Am I taking crazy pills or is EVERYONE completely likeminded and biased from the start against anything that smells like its potentially useful, unless THEY made it??

If the op is even remotely depressed, how the hell do you think it makes me feel? These are all human beings here, who have total control of what they want to think and say, and are choosing to bite at me like I was some kind of a rabid dog, out to ruin Bitcoin for everyone. What in god's name is wrong with this community? I come from a community of developers where when Joe makes a program, everyone says "Good job Joe! Let's work together to make that better!". Here it's like, Joe makes a program and there are 3 responses.

"Fuck you Joe"
"Thanks for making that, I really appreciate it, that's why I'm going to steal it and call it my own"

Wow. Just wow. /end rant

In a moment of absolute honesty, once the clock hits midnight, I do get way too vocal and liberal with my communications and should probably refrain from even posting past that hour (it's 1am now for a prime example).

Gulp! Here he goes again, kokjo.

I love this post, Matthew. I do see past your 1AM tone-of-voice. I was, and still am, remotely depressed, enough so to start and comment on most of the comments that will be expressed on this thread.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 04:55:23 PM

Doesn't scam involve stealing money from someone? Did they ever ask for any money? I don't get it. They never did anything.. How can you classify them as fraud, scam, heroes, whatever?

Very good point, but what I can ascertain is that some in this community have a concern that Matthew at UABB may use any personal information gleaned for nefarious purposes. Valid? I'm not sure. That thought sometimes passes through my head each time I hand my Visa card over the counter at the local 7-11.

Thank you kingly for your insight, nmat.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:06:28 PM

If he stops spamming the forums and insulting people I might give him an ear. Smiley

This. I don't need to read about it in 5,235.098 places.

I voted Holding back judgement at this time.

Did you know that a woman has 413.069 erogenous zones located over her entire body? With that said, I'm sorry for starting, yet another, thread on UABB. I just feel that this is a potential great service and would hate to see it go to the wayside. Down the road, I envision it as the utmost service available to the Bitcoin community at large.

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and by voting that you're holding back judgement at this time. I will easily reverse my position if I discovered that Matthew at UABB is not what he's out to be--an asset to Bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:19:47 PM

Let me start this post by saying I am by no means passing judgement on him or his intent...

I would find it deeply and darkly amusing if the UABB guy and the MyBitCoin guy were one in the same.

Surely Mr. MBC would be keeping a low profile, but if he really had balls of steel, 'spearheading an investigation' into the crime and collecting all of the available data about it could be all kinds of useful.
I had this same thought when I saw the 20 or so posts to every mybitcoin thread on the forum...  Keep your friends close and your enemies closer right? As the person responsible, obtaining as much information about what happened as possible would be a great risk mitigation strategy...  Sort of like playing a game of poker where everyone else's cards are printed on both sides and yours are not.

Again, not passing judgement, just making a statement in regards to the quote above...

Thank you kindly, Intervex Digital, for this post. In regards to keeping your friends close (purposely excluding the second part of that cliché), the other night I spent over an hour trying to find a connection between two Bitcoin start-ups when I read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33275.msg418710#msg418710 I didn't find one but, if I had, I was prepared to go on a 1AM diatribe, outlining what I discovered.

As far as your poker analogy, when played correctly you don't need to see the other players cards to win--you know what they have. On the flip side of the (bit)coin, you don't even need to look at your cards. The reason: Poker is not a card game played with people--it's a people game played with cards. I play poker!

Thank you, again, for your fair input.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:25:10 PM

@Matthew N. Wright
you are fucking annoying! and your posts are spam, they are all over the forum, and i don't even care about reading them anymore.
please if you really want something good to the community, STOP SPAM THE FORUM!

I'm going to reserve any further comments toward kokjo on this thread unless they're more constructive. Thank you, again, for your input, kokjo.
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:27:48 PM

(5) Still waiting for them to ask me to pay X BTC to get a UABB certified logo on my site, and then telling people that you should only trust sites with official UABB certification.
Did you think accreditation was free? Accreditation will cost you 2BTC for the first year, and 1BTC to renew every year after that. Consumers and non accredited business members needn't pay anything of course. This barely covers our cost to take the time to investigate into the businesses if you think about it though.

My objection wasn't the idea of charging of 'accreditation'.  It was the possibility of charging for this, and then disparaging anyone who refused to pay, in effect creating an internet protection racket.

Please note I threw this out as a hypothetical, I"m not actually accusing you of having an evil master plan.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:28:10 PM

@Matthew N. Wright
you are fucking annoying! and your posts are spam, they are all over the forum, and i don't even care about reading them anymore.
please if you really want something good to the community, STOP SPAM THE FORUM!

Point taken. Annoyance agreed. Sincerist apologies. It was a completely ill-thought out move on my part that I almost instantly regretted (I'm a spontaneous person and that is why I have such a good imagination for building things, but it REALLY screws me over sometimes too).

I am not at war with anyone here, I am at war with myself to become who I need to be, in order to be useful.

When more people start lending a hand in the forum to help change each other instead of pushing them away, more people like me with actual talents to make things will come in. Until then, I'd say I've done an outstanding job of showing my passion for Bitcoin by even STILL being on this forum at this point Cheesy

When more people start lending a hand in the forum to help change each other instead of pushing them away...

Hence, this poll/thread. Isn't it past your bedtime?
BillX

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:37:28 PM

Did you think accreditation was free? Accreditation will cost you 2BTC for the first year, and 1BTC to renew every year after that. Consumers and non accredited business members needn't pay anything of course. This barely covers our cost to take the time to investigate into the businesses if you think about it though.

My objection wasn't the idea of charging of 'accreditation'.  It was the possibility of charging for this, and then disparaging anyone who refused to pay, in effect creating an internet protection racket.

Please note I threw this out as a hypothetical, I"m not actually accusing you of having an evil master plan.

With his policy of public investigations I wouldn't rule out a protection racket at all.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:39:33 PM

Any way you could figure out how to charge consumers for this instead? Maybe give the basic rating for free, but charge for details, or provide a sufficiently cheap subscription service with unlimited rating look-ups a month?

This will remove the perception of collusion between you and businesses you accredit, and will provide incentive on you to make sure you give customers good information, since any sort of fraudulent accreditation will hurt your bottom line, and customers knowing it may trust you more.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:40:25 PM

Just saying...

What's harder--Sowing seeds of discontent or mining Bitcoin? I'm leaning towards the former, because the sowing has to take place hourly, if not minutely, whereas you only have to set up a mining rig once (the analogy works provided you don't upgrade).

Here's what I can't get a grip around. Why, with a great idea like Bitcoin, is there a forum with so much negativism as opposed to a community writing post-to-post in making it a further success?

Thank you kindly, wareen, for your insight.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:45:34 PM

What's harder--Sowing seeds of discontent or mining Bitcoin? I'm leaning towards the former, because the sowing has to take place hourly, if not minutely, whereas you only have to set up a mining rig once (the analogy works provided you don't upgrade).

Woe is upon us if anyone figures out how to convert one of those AI online chat bots into a forum trolling rig, and sets it "mining" on here!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:49:36 PM

He did, not on wis website in his individual postings on this forum. That gives the idea of "Hey, I need money, but not right now because I have it. I'll tell when I do later on". That gives people the idea that he might really be ligit when all it really is just a way to get his talon's into his mark better.

Take a look at the description of a "Cluster B Narcissist". It seems to fit him to a T. Once these people take root in something its almost impossible to get rid of them. Best to nip them in the bud.

Symptoms:

Grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
Preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
Believes that they are "special" and unique and can only be understoody by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
Requires excessive admiration.
Has a sense of entitlement i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with their expectations.
Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve their own needs.
Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of them.
Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
Treatment Considerations:

Thank you kindly, BillX, for your input. You did forget to add a YouTube video for our viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxJf9MXidY

I'm sure there's many business start-ups that's only sole intent is to do exact what you've outlined. I don't believe UABB is one of them. I will easily reverse my position if I'm proven wrong.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 05:54:18 PM

"Fuck you Joe"

Wow. Just wow. /end rant

If you haven't come to grips with the fact that 90% of the internet is indeed a "hive mind" in my opinion that is just naive. (No offense, I think what you are doing is great. See my signature.) Especially in a venue like this where people deal with technology's latest and greatest every day; you have to come to the table with proof that you are a game changer.

If you watch you see a pattern in the "game changing" ideas that rise and fail. The expectation people have for representatives of real businesses and associations to articulate themselves correctly with proper grammar and poise themselves gracefully in the public eye is just a small part of those failures.

Nice comment, nhodges. So, what you're saying is that this community is suffering a colony collapse disorder? Damn you, Monsanto!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 06:00:53 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2011, 06:23:33 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I don't think it's a scam, but:

(1) Yes, too many posts that are there just to get the name out.

(2) It appears to be a one-man operation, which is fine, but he acts like it's a multinational conglomerate with 100's of agents working on his behalf.

(3) The photo might be real, but for some reason it looks like a stock photo you'd get from one of those sites that also has customer service people with headsets, and that woman sitting indian-style in front of her laptop with her arms in the air.  If it is a real photo, it seems a bit off to get a professional photo for the forums.  If it's not, that seems suspicious, since it's not clearly an avatar.

(4) For all the talk and even glancing at the website, I still have no idea how exactly they intend to operate or how they expect to protect consumers.

Very valid points, kgo. I will honestly agree with you on #3 (stock photo). For my first Bitcoin start-up, I'm going to use the image below:

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: