Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:24:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required]  (Read 207947 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:24:43 PM

bitcoin hashes are always in reversed order.
somebody came with an idea that lsb is faster on the machines we have, so why not to extend it to 256 bits.
I don't mean to criticize him, but IMHO it has not turned out to be the most optimal solution after all Smiley

Thanks.  Yeah all the endian changes make slogging through the code a real chore.  Any small performance gains are not worth the loss in transparency.

It is almost like a secret handshake that each developer needs to learn.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:58:14 PM

Thank you piotr_n!

bitcoin hashes are always in reversed order.
somebody came with an idea that lsb is faster on the machines we have, so why not to extend it to 256 bits.
I don't mean to criticize him, but IMHO it has not turned out to be the most optimal solution after all Smiley

Thanks.  Yeah all the endian changes make slogging through the code a real chore.  Any small performance gains are not worth the loss in transparency.

It is almost like a secret handshake that each developer needs to learn.
My thoughts exactly

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:59:30 PM

New version 2.1.0b2: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=2FtQDj3v

You might want to try
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --clone_watchonly_from /home/jackjack/wallet.dat --clone_watchonly_to /home/jackjack/wallet2.dat

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 01:41:00 PM

No problem. Smiley  Coins sent https://blockchain.info/tx/02f632bea4b192f899108b3706e001e828eed546eac0b19321154278c034c7c3  

Wait nobody has ever donated?  WTF?

I for one made a donation some time ago, although not to that address but to jackjack's.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:40:25 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 07:30:11 PM by jackjack
Merited by ABCbits (5)

Thank you dserrano5, thank you the third guy who donated to the pywallet address, and thanks to anybody who ever donated to my address Wink

The two features I've been testing in the last version seems to work now.
They are:
  • Creating a watch-only clone of a wallet
  • Deleted wallets recovery (encrypted+unencrypted wallet, on Linux+Windows)

That would be nice if some people can confirm they work. Even if you can test only one.

Last version: 2.1.0b13

Creating a watch-only clone of a wallet

Short version:
Backup your wallet
Then
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b13.py --clone_watchonly_from /path/to/wallet/wallet.dat --clone_watchonly_to /path/to/clone/wallet.watching.dat

Long version:
DeathAndTaxes' thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=257891.0

Deleted wallets recovery (encrypted+unencrypted wallet, on Linux+Windows)

Pywallet will go through these steps:
 1. read every byte on the disk to look for keys (sloooooooooow, ~600Mo/min)
 2. create a partial file (in outputdir) so that if you forgot a passphrase but remember it later you don't have to go through step 1 again
 3. test all the passphrases for the most possible (encrypted private key / encryption parameters) pairs
 4. if there are some private keys still not decrypted, YOU chose whether or not you want to test all passphrase with all encryption parameters with all undecrypted private keys

Note that recov_size must be higher than the size of recov_device and that recov_outputdir must exist

Usage examples for Linux and Windows:
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b13.py --recover --recov_device /dev/sda --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir /home/jackjack
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b13.py --recover --recov_device c: --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir c:\recoveredwalletsfolder

Usable units:
Code:
ko kio kB kiB Mo Mio MB MiB Go Gio GB GiB

PS: to use a partial recovery file, the command is the following (notice --recov_device):
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b13.py --recover --recov_device=PartialRecoveryFile:./pywallet_partial_recovery_1374430501.dat --recov_outputdir c:\recoveredwalletsfolder --recov_size 30Gio

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 08:45:42 PM

I guess everything's ok, the official 2.1.0 with working watchonly-cloning and recoveries will be pushed soon.

Also, great news I received a great piece of work

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 02:55:37 AM

they've send u a trezor unit? nice! hows the protocol?

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:41:10 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 01:03:12 PM by jackjack

Yes it's kinda exciting!
The problem is that the system is emulated and sadly not fully coded so I can't be sure of anything. It seems pretty straight forward so far.
I'll contact slush soon to address this.

2.1.0 pushed btw

btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:03:49 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 11:17:32 PM by btc4ever

Here's the essence of the present deletion algo:

for i,keydel in enumerate(kd):
   for (key, value) in db.items():
      if keydel == public_key_to_bc_address(kds.read_bytes(kds.read_compact_size())):
         db.delete(key)

The problem is that pywallet is looping over the entire database for every single entry.  Apparently it does this because it needs to calculate the bitcoin address for the public key stored in the wallet, to compare against the address to be deleted.    This grinds to a near halt when trying to delete lots of keys from a very large wallet.

Suggested improvement:

1) Iterate through all the DB keys just once at the beginning and store, keyed by the bitcoin address, eg: <address> : <key>.  ( Could use a python dictionary for this if a small number of items, but should use a new BDB database if a large number of items to avoid swapping. )

2) Iterate through the addresses requested to be deleted.  For each, just lookup the address to find the key, and if found delete it.

This way, we have created an index, so there is no longer any need for a nested loop.

Proposed algo:

db_map = new BDB
for (key, value) in db.items():
   db_map.store( public_key_to_bc_address(kds.read_bytes(kds.read_compact_size())), key )

for i,keydel in enumerate(kd):
   key = db_map.get( keydel )
   if key:
      db.delete(key)

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
melnikalex

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:10:15 AM

Does it possible to use "pywallet --recover" with option "--otherversion", how to make it work?

Have two broken wallet.dat on two pc, with some pennies, --otherversion=55/56/57, pywallet do not want to dump them, said "Error in dump page".
Maybe someone knew another way to recover private keys for broken wallets?

Thanks.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 08:23:10 PM

Thanks for the input, it's really appreciated
I won't have my dev environment with me until next week, I'll integrate this as soon as possible

Does it possible to use "pywallet --recover" with option "--otherversion", how to make it work?

Have two broken wallet.dat on two pc, with some pennies, --otherversion=55/56/57, pywallet do not want to dump them, said "Error in dump page".
Maybe someone knew another way to recover private keys for broken wallets?

Thanks.

Just use it without otherversion, the wallet format is exactly the same for all altcoins
Also AFAIK pywallet is the easier (only?) way to recover broken/deleted wallets

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:31:35 PM

I'm trying to recover a devcoin wallet that was overwritten during a moment of carelessness. I'm real new to Python but have got pywallet running in the CMD line in Windows (64 bit Windows 7) and am at the options menu.

I'm getting a couple errors - 'ecdsa' package is not installed, and 'A mandatory option is missing'. Also am not getting http://localhost:8989/ to display, am seeing 'neterror connection failure' in one of my security addon pop ups in my browser window.

ecdsa not being installed is not an issue
The mandatory option missing means you didn't tell pywallet what to do
If you want the web interface, you must do
Code:
python pywallet.py --web
If you want to recover wallets (impossible with the web interface), you must do
Code:
python pywallet.py --recover ...
The exact syntax is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.msg2794856#msg2794856

Just wanted to confirm that it will work recovering overwritten dvc keys? And have figured to set path to destination folder, but unsure on how to configure command (with path), and how to get web interface working. Any direction appreciated, even if I cant recover, it's always good to learn something new.
I confirm it will recover them, if they still are physically present on your disk
As I wrote above, the syntax is
Code:
python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device c: --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir c:\recoveredwalletsfolder
This will create a huge wallet.dat in c:\recoveredwalletsfolder
It will contain all the keys it could find on your disk, whatever the altcoin you were using them with

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

As the new version will have nothing to do with the current code I think I'd better change the name... It's kinda sad as I find the name "pywallet" quite catchy and I've been using it for more than 2 years now!
But well...
  • I can't name a pre-alpha software like something that is mature for 2+ years
  • 3 different programs (Joric's original software, my curent fork and my future work) with the same name is rather unfriendly...

Moreover I'm bad at finding good names, so I'd like to know if anyone here has ideas

gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:45:41 PM

As the new version will have nothing to do with the current code I think I'd better change the name... It's kinda sad as I find the name "pywallet" quite catchy and I've been using it for more than 2 years now!
Moreover I'm bad at finding good names, so I'd like to know if anyone here has ideas

I suck worse, but maybe if I throw a few out there, it'll spark other ideas:

WalletGenie
    WalletMender
    WalletMinder
    FixMyWallet
    KeyMinder
    WalletGenius

I'm SURE there are others.  I love pywallet too, but i agree that it's been through a few changes.  And besides, having "py" in the name kinda ties it to Python.  Hmmm... one more suggestion:

PryWallet

There.

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:41:16 AM

pywallet-ng Tongue.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:00:50 PM

WalletEditor.

Or JackWallet.

dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:31:48 PM

WalletSurgeon!  Grin
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:37:10 PM

WalletGenie
WalletMender
WalletMinder
FixMyWallet
KeyMinder
WalletGenius
WalletEditor
WalletSurgeon
I like them all actually
No love at first sight though

pywallet-ng
As far as I understand 'ng', wouldn't it mean that pywallet isn't developped anymore? (it will be true for my fork but not for the original pywallet)

PryWallet
Why not, but why the R?

JackWallet.
I'm not that egocentric Grin

Thanks everybody, keep them coming Smiley

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:45:32 PM

I fixed an old bug I never noticed
By the way, even after the end of pywallet development I will still fix bugs one could find

I just started to code pywallet's little brother
Codename: NPW Grin
For now I'm coding an advanced dump: it will include filters
I'll regularly publish pre-alpha versions on github if some are interested

cdnbcguy

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 04:54:09 AM

I did a git pull to get the latest version of pywallet.

I started pywallet with the --web and --passphrase=gargar option.

I copied the private key of the paper wallet to a cvs file like this

5gargargar;label

The import from a cvs function worked fine - the account balance shows up in bitcoin-qt 8.3 - but I get a 'transaction creation failed' error when I try to send the coins in the account.

The bitcoin client was not running when I did the import.

One thing - pywallet complained that ecdsa was not installed, but it didn't throw any errors when I imported the key. Is that important?

Please get back to me on this...

I forgot to add I did the start the bitcoin client from the terminal with the -rescan trick and the -keypool=150 trick, then tried to send again. No joy.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: