Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:39:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required]  (Read 207946 times)
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:54:19 AM

The ecdsa warning is not a problem

Delete the keys you added
Close pywallet then run it again without the --passphrase option
Put the passphrase in the web interface (one of the tab is named "passphrase")
Then import your keys again and try

For the record it's exactly the kind of things that make me think I need to rebuild pywallet in a coherent way...

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cdnbcguy

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 10:13:51 AM

The ecdsa warning is not a problem

Delete the keys you added
Close pywallet then run it again without the --passphrase option
Put the passphrase in the web interface (one of the tab is named "passphrase")
Then import your keys again and try

For the record it's exactly the kind of things that make me think I need to rebuild pywallet in a coherent way...

Same problem. I also tried deleting the wallet.dat file (I have a backup) and letting Bitcoin-qt build a new one and importing the key into it with no passphrase at all.

It works but bitcoin-qt reports a zero balance. When I restore the backup I can import the key and get the paper wallet balance restored, but same signing problem.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 10:18:46 AM

I don't see what can happen
If the passphrase is bad or if pywallet incorrectly imported the private key, bitcoin-qt will say "corrupt wallet"
But if it doesn't say that and if you rescanned I don't see where could be the problem
Could you post a screenshot of the error?
What does the debug.log say?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cdnbcguy

Activity: 128

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 11:13:54 AM

If the passphrase is bad or if pywallet incorrectly imported the private key, bitcoin-qt will say "corrupt wallet"
But if it doesn't say that and if you rescanned I don't see where could be the problem

Ok - job done but what actually worked was this -

I deleted the wallet.dat and let bitcoin-qt make a new one

I imported the key with pywallet and turned pywallet off

I ran bitcoin-qt -rescan this time - didn't do that last time thanks for reminding me.

After the rescan it came up with the paper wallet balance and I sent the BTC.

I turned off bitcoin-qt and zipped the wallet with crypto and restored the original wallet.

This is a workaround...

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 11:23:15 AM

Ok - job done but what actually worked was this -

I deleted the wallet.dat and let bitcoin-qt make a new one

I imported the key with pywallet and turned pywallet off

I ran bitcoin-qt -rescan this time - didn't do that last time thanks for reminding me.

After the rescan it came up with the paper wallet balance and I sent the BTC.

I turned off bitcoin-qt and zipped the wallet with crypto and restored the original wallet.

This is a workaround...

I'm glad it worked out!
The new version will allow to create transactions by hand

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:20:01 PM

If you don't want to name it after yourself, you may name it after me. Hehehe. DabsWallet.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 02:27:59 PM

JackWallet sounds nice.  It sounds catchy. Also it's sort of like a car jack is to a car. You use JackWallet to repair your wallet!
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:40:17 AM

why the sudden need for a name change? pywallet is totaly fine and alot of ppl know it this way Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:12:53 AM

why the sudden need for a name change? pywallet is totaly fine and alot of ppl know it this way Wink
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.msg3058829#msg3058829 Smiley

JackWallet sounds nice.  It sounds catchy. Also it's sort of like a car jack is to a car. You use JackWallet to repair your wallet!
I don't think people will value a software to deal with their private keys if its name makes them think about car-jacking.
I'm not an English native though so maybe it's catchy and not scary. If so, could native speakers tell me so?

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

WalletFixer

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:05:10 PM

Fixwallet (Gavin's bitcointools) already exists, that's too close IMO

Do you think the organization of the current WUI is logical/easy to use/practical? I mean the division in Dump/Import/Delete/etc tabs

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:52:19 PM

JackWallet sounds nice.  It sounds catchy. Also it's sort of like a car jack is to a car. You use JackWallet to repair your wallet!
I don't think people will value a software to deal with their private keys if its name makes them think about car-jacking.
I'm not an English native though so maybe it's catchy and not scary. If so, could native speakers tell me so?

I don't see a problem with JackWallet but English is not my mother tongue, so you might want to wait for more people to provide you with an answer to your question.

How about JacquesWallet then?

JWallet is already taken and could imply your fork is written in Java so I'm not going to suggest it.

Signature space available for rent.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:37:47 PM

Guessing not many people would test this, I wanted to do it since I read this post. Finally I did it today.

Deleted wallets recovery (encrypted+unencrypted wallet, on Linux+Windows)

Pywallet will go through these steps:
 1. read every byte on the disk to look for keys (sloooooooooow, ~600Mo/min)
 2. create a partial file (in outputdir) so that if you forgot a passphrase but remember it later you don't have to go through step 1 again
 3. test all the passphrases for the most possible (encrypted private key / encryption parameters) pairs
 4. if there are some private keys still not decrypted, YOU chose whether or not you want to test all passphrase with all encryption parameters with all undecrypted private keys

Note that recov_size must be higher than the size of recov_device and that recov_outputdir must exist

Usage examples for Linux and Windows:
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b13.py --recover --recov_device /dev/sda --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir /home/jackjack
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b13.py --recover --recov_device c: --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir c:\recoveredwalletsfolder

So let's set up a filesystem:

Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/fs bs=1M count=20
# mkfs.ext3 /tmp/fs
# mount -o loop /tmp/fs /mnt
# chown btc:btc /mnt

Fill it with a bunch of small files, make some room for the wallet, finally copy the wallet inside. This is to increase the chances of it being fragmented:

Code:
$ cp -a $(find /usr/bin -size -30k) /mnt/
cp: writing `/mnt/xwd': No space left on device
[...]
$ rm -f /mnt/{a,c,e,s}*
$ df /mnt/
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop1               19827     14487      4316  78% /mnt
$ cp .bitcoin/wallet.dat /mnt/
$ df /mnt
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop1               19827     17894       909  96% /mnt

Code:
# umount /mnt

Using debugfs I check that in fact the wallet is scattered over a bunch of separated blocks. 30 lines of output in my terminal only to enumerate the blocks Smiley. Well now the fun begins!

Code:
$ cd pywallet
$ grep ^pywversion pywallet.py
pywversion="2.1.4"
$ mkdir /home/btc/enc/pywallet-recov
$ python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device /mnt/fs --recov_size 20Mio --recov_outputdir /home/btc/enc/pywallet-recov
Enter the passphrase for the wallet that will contain all the recovered keys: wow the password is displayed as I type!
Enter the possible passphrases used in your deleted wallets.
Don't forget that more passphrases = more time to test the possibilities.
Write one passphrase per line and end with an empty line.
Possible passphrase: this is displayed too
Possible passphrase:

Starting recovery.

Read 0.0 Go in 0.0 minutes

Found 1 possible wallets
Found 355 possible encrypted keys
Found 0 possible unencrypted keys

Possible wallet #1
    with passphrase #1  ...................................

Private keys not decrypted: 4
Trying all the remaining possibilities (4) might take up to 0 minutes.
Do you want to test them? (y/n): y

Private keys not decrypted: 4
Try another password, check the size of your partition or seek help
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

Importing:

Key    1/248 imported:
Address (Bitcoin): 1HvPpmKxmjs…
Privkey (Bitcoin): 5JG5smj…
[…]

The new wallet /home/btc/enc/pywallet-recov/recovered_wallet_1379174268.dat contains the 248 recovered keys

Seems that some keys couldn't be recovered. Maybe they were fragmented but in this case, it's remarkable that only 4 keys were affected.

Code:
$ cd
$ cp enc/pywallet-recov/recovered_wallet_1379174268.dat .bitcoin/wallet.dat
$ nice bitcoind &
$ bitcoind getbalance

Uh oh, this wasn't expected… or maybe was it? My original wallet.dat is 3 Mb while the recovered one is around 100 Kb.

Code:
$ bitcoind stop
$ nice bitcoind -rescan &
$ bitcoind getbalance

The resulting wallet.dat is still 100 Kb. Currently 5 of my keys have some balance so if only 4 were lost I should have at least something, 0.15 BTC in the worst case.

Later I'll do an intersection on the sets keys-in-my-good-wallet versus keys-in-the-recovered-wallet and will report back, but for now I'm done. Here are a couple of suggestions:

• Passwords are displayed as I type. This shouldn't happen!
  • The output says "Found 355 possible encrypted keys". What's up with the 355(total) - 248(recovered) - 4(lost) = 103 missing ones?
  • The output contains private keys. I'd prefer to have them (partially) censored.
  • pywallet doesn't create the recov_outputdir if it doesn't exist. It should create it, maybe giving a choice to the user.
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:41:43 PM

Later I'll do an intersection on the sets keys-in-my-good-wallet versus keys-in-the-recovered-wallet and will report back

Interestingly, this intersection yields 0 keys. pywallet seems to have "recovered" some keys that I've never had in my wallet. Dang, it could have chosen keys with some funds in them! Smiley. Well I'll repeat everything to discard a pebkac.

Ah, another thing worth mentioning:

Code:
$ bitcoind walletpassphrase foobar 10
error: {"code":-14,"message":"Error: The wallet passphrase entered was incorrect."}
$ python pywallet.py --passphrase=foobar --dumpwallet |head
'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct
{
    "bestblock": […]
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 06:11:18 PM

Thanks dserrano5 for these tests.
That's strange because it worked on my dev computer. I'll run some tests too as soon as I have access to it again.
It's kinda worrying though.

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 06:17:26 PM

Well I'll repeat everything to discard a pebkac.

Done.

Code:
Found 1 possible wallets
Found 472 possible encrypted keys
Found 0 possible unencrypted keys

Private keys not decrypted: 1

Key    1/254 imported:

So now there are 472 - 254 - 1 = 217 keys in limbo. Again, none of the recovered keys matches any of the existing ones. bitcoind doesn't accept the password again.

The "p" in pebkac is either non-existent or really serious Smiley. Let me know if your tests run fine, so I'll make a new wallet and recover it, then I'll send you both files.
kasael

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:01:19 AM

When i try to recover my wallet (comes from thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=291333.0) i get the next error on the web interface:

"Error in dump page"

i have installed python 2.7 and pywallet, i made the web interface working by opening a command mode, and placing my pywallet.py and pywallet.bat files on my desktop (where my wallet.dat is too) and running the next command  from the windows cmd console: "pywallet --info wallet.dat"

i am probably doing something wrong i known Sad
gramma

Activity: 194

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:35:41 PM

JackWallet sounds nice.  It sounds catchy. Also it's sort of like a car jack is to a car. You use JackWallet to repair your wallet!

I don't see a problem with JackWallet but English is not my mother tongue, so you might want to wait for more people to provide you with an answer to your question.

(American) English is my mother tongue, and I agree that JackWallet carries a negative connotation.  I don't want someone to jack my wallet.  "WalletJack" seems less negative, but I'd still stay away from it,

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:14:16 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2013, 08:13:06 AM by K1773R

EDIT: nvm

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 06:24:55 AM

JackJackWallet.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: