Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:38:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required]  (Read 207946 times)
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 11:44:44 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2013, 12:47:14 PM by jackjack

The "p" in pebkac is either non-existent or really serious Smiley. Let me know if your tests run fine, so I'll make a new wallet and recover it, then I'll send you both files.
I still can't look at this in the following days I keep that in mind.

(American) English is my mother tongue, and I agree that JackWallet carries a negative connotation.  I don't want someone to jack my wallet.  "WalletJack" seems less negative, but I'd still stay away from it,
Thanks for your input, I definitely dismiss *jack*

When i try to recover my wallet (comes from thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=291333.0) i get the next error on the web interface:

"Error in dump page"

i have installed python 2.7 and pywallet, i made the web interface working by opening a command mode, and placing my pywallet.py and pywallet.bat files on my desktop (where my wallet.dat is too) and running the next command  from the windows cmd console: "pywallet --info wallet.dat"

i am probably doing something wrong i known Sad
To run the web interface it's "pywallet --web".
Should work then. Otherwise tell me what is written in the console.

JackJackWallet.
Grin

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

The "p" in pebkac is either non-existent or really serious Smiley. Let me know if your tests run fine, so I'll make a new wallet and recover it, then I'll send you both files.

Tried with a new wallet. It had compressed keys but the recovered ones are uncompressed so my method of intersecting privkeys isn't good.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:02:39 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2013, 08:24:34 AM by jackjack

Tried with a new wallet. It had compressed keys but the recovered ones are uncompressed so my method of intersecting privkeys isn't good.
Nice find!
I'm looking at the code and it looks like I never check the compressedness.
That's a bit less critical as you at least recover the private keys. I'm going to make pywallet import both compressed and uncompressed addresses for each private keys. Then once I have access to my dev computer I'll make this less q&d.

Edit: I just tested and it indeed recovered the corresponding uncompressed addresses. Doing the change right now.
Edit2: I pushed the new version, it's working for me with a wallet full of compressed keys

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 08:48:51 AM

I've now tested with my main wallet and the hexadecimal representations of the privkeys match indeed, so keys are properly recovered. However there's still a withstanding issue: even when the wallet fille is as little fragmented as possible on disk, pywallet doesn't recover all the keys:

Code:
Found 1 possible wallets
Found 359 possible encrypted keys
Found 0 possible unencrypted keys

Possible wallet #1
    with passphrase #1  ...................................

All the found encrypted private keys have been decrypted.
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

Importing:

Key    1/255 imported:

There seems to be a limit of 255 keys. Plus, pywallet finds 359 possible keys, but the wallet has way more:

Code:
$ python pywallet.py --passphrase="$P" --dumpwallet |grep -wc sec            ## total
$ python pywallet.py --passphrase="$P" --dumpwallet |grep -c reserve.:.1     ## reserve (just in case this matters)
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:04:39 AM

The first count can be wrong, hence the "X possible keys"
So it's normal than it's above the real number of private keys it imports
For instance with a new wallet (1 shown address + 100 pool addresses) I get that:
Starting recovery.

Read 0.0 Go in 0.0 minutes

Found 0 possible wallets
Found 0 possible encrypted keys
Found 159 possible unencrypted keys
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

Importing:

Importing key    1/101:
You could compare a dump and a recovered wallet.
I'll check why it's so above though.

As for the second matter, please grep this instead:
"sec":
Because there is an "hexsec" entry (which should make the count 510)
I don't know where the 20 remaining occurences can come from

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:16:40 AM

As for the second matter, please grep this instead:
"sec":
Because there is an "hexsec" entry (which should make the count 510)

grep -w takes care of that, "Select only those lines containing matches that form whole words" Wink.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:27:35 AM

I love grep, I should really think about using its options!

Well, the 510 is still normal as pywallet imports both addresses for each private keys. 530 != 2*255 though...
I can't reproduce so I don't know where this can come from.
Could you use -A 2 (Grin) to check that the following lines are
"secret": "xxxx"
Or maybe
...|grep -w sec -A 2 | grep -wc secret

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:50:08 AM

Well, the 510 is still normal as pywallet imports both addresses for each private keys. 530 != 2*255 though...

And this isn't the recovered wallet but the original one.

Could you use -A 2 (Grin) to check that the following lines are
"secret": "xxxx"
Or maybe
...|grep -w sec -A 2 | grep -wc secret

Yes, "sec" is always followed by "secret".
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:57:36 AM

Oh yeah I misread!
So your wallet has 530 keys but pywallet only finds 255 of them.
I can't do much more where I currently am. All I know is that a brand new wallet is correctly.
I'll try to inflate a wallet and see how the recovery behaves.

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:22:00 AM

Good. As a last resort I'd be willing to remove the vanity/funded keys from this wallet and send it to you.
kasael

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:09:44 AM

(American) English is my mother tongue, and I agree that JackWallet carries a negative connotation.  I don't want someone to jack my wallet.  "WalletJack" seems less negative, but I'd still stay away from it,
Thanks for your input, I definitely dismiss *jack*

When i try to recover my wallet (comes from thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=291333.0) i get the next error on the web interface:

"Error in dump page"

i have installed python 2.7 and pywallet, i made the web interface working by opening a command mode, and placing my pywallet.py and pywallet.bat files on my desktop (where my wallet.dat is too) and running the next command  from the windows cmd console: "pywallet --info wallet.dat"

i am probably doing something wrong i known Sad
To run the web interface it's "pywallet --web".
Should work then. Otherwise tell me what is written in the console.

JackJackWallet.
Grin

Thanks for the answer Jack, i still get this error, see captures of web and console interfaces:

http://i40.tinypic.com/14x1g9g.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/xp0u9d.jpg

PS. "unknown" is my username in this computer, not that the user name is unknown for the system or whatever problem you might figure out of it Smiley
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:20:00 PM

Good. As a last resort I'd be willing to remove the vanity/funded keys from this wallet and send it to you.
Thanks
I hope it won't be necessary though

Thanks for the answer Jack, i still get this error, see captures of web and console interfaces:

PS. "unknown" is my username in this computer, not that the user name is unknown for the system or whatever problem you might figure out of it Smiley
Is Bitcoin running when you do this?

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 12:14:21 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2013, 08:31:17 PM by jackjack

Working on the recover problem right now
I hope the computer I'm currently using will be enough

Notepad++ can't count occurences of a word... I'll work on that later.

cdnbcguy

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 02:08:11 AM

Hi - what I am doing is starting the latest pywallet with --web

Bitcoin is not running

I then go to change passphrase and enter the passphase. I get no feedback as to whether it worked or not.

I goto the import key and import a priv8 key. The lines in the terminal says

2013-09-27 21:57:26-0400 [HTTPChannel,0,127.0.0.1] The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

The gui gives me the key and public key but it does that all the time, even when the password is wrong.

I quit pywallet

I run bitocin-qt

The key isn't there.

PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
cdnbcguy

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 02:53:02 AM

Hi - what I am doing is starting the latest pywallet with --web

Bitcoin is not running

I then go to change passphrase and enter the passphase. I get no feedback as to whether it worked or not.

I goto the import key and import a priv8 key. The lines in the terminal says

2013-09-27 21:57:26-0400 [HTTPChannel,0,127.0.0.1] The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

The gui gives me the key and public key but it does that all the time, even when the password is wrong.

I quit pywallet

I run bitocin-qt

The key isn't there.

PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Ok I got it but I had to do the rescan again. BTC really isn't ready for prime time when stuff like this happens.

I want to thank you for pywallet, but I wish the GUI was more informative...

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
kasael

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:38:41 PM

No Bitcoin client is not running when doing this. Should it be?

I follow these steps:

I open my cmd console, and execute from it on my desktop pywallet.py --web, and get the next message (see capture)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uxvbs1.jpg

Then i open the web browser in the address http://localhost:8989/ And i get the next info in the console:

http://i40.tinypic.com/27zkhnn.jpg

And when i set the path to my wallet and try to dump it, i get the next error in the console

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mhy6vk.jpg

Should i follow the first warning and install that package? "WARNING:root:pycrypto or libssl not found, decryption may be slow
'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages"

Thank you Smiley
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:53:41 PM

Ok I got it but I had to do the rescan again. BTC really isn't ready for prime time when stuff like this happens.

I want to thank you for pywallet, but I wish the GUI was more informative...
I'll soon replace pywallet with another software
This one will be more informative

No Bitcoin client is not running when doing this. Should it be?

I follow these steps:

I open my cmd console, and execute from it on my desktop pywallet.py --web, and get the next message (see capture)

Then i open the web browser in the address http://localhost:8989/ And i get the next info in the console:

And when i set the path to my wallet and try to dump it, i get the next error in the console

Should i follow the first warning and install that package? "WARNING:root:pycrypto or libssl not found, decryption may be slow
'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages"

Thank you Smiley
Does your wallet.dat work with bitcoin-qt (please double-check)? If so, I don't see what can happen.
Is your file encrypted? If so, would you be ok to send it to me?

kasael

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:58:00 AM

Hi again, sorry for the delay reaplying.

Yes, i actually did try to open the wallet with bitcoin -qt and it keeps returning the error in the capture attached below.

Of course its OK senting it to you, i really want to know whats going wrong and how to solve this again if it happens in the future.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2v8ipls.jpg
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:52:06 PM

Sent you a PM
Could you tell us what happened to this wallet?

kasael

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 02:34:35 AM

Im checking now your message.

I deleted by mistake my wallet (with all my computer info) and i was able to recover it using a program named "recuva", but i haven't been able to make it work.

I think i had my wallet encrypted too. So i dont know what to do to recover the coins (cents) in this case, is not just the money, but being ableto save the wallet and learn a procedure just in case this happens again. Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: