Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:48:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-19 WashingtonPost: Bitcoin needs a central banker  (Read 2109 times)
hacknoid (OP)

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:04:12 PM

Grin Grin

OK, OK - I know, but I couldn't resist reading this article - my first thought was it was picked up from the Onion, but, sadly, no.  That title is classic!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/19/bitcoin-needs-a-central-banker/

To save you the time, don't bother reading it - nothing new here.  Basically it's rehashing about the fluctuating value of a bitcoin and how that is terrible for a currency.  The punchline?

Fortunately, there is a possible solution for Bitcoin's volatility problem: There needs to be some kind of central institution. A bank of sorts. One with the bottomless ability to either pump extra Bitcoin into the market or suck it out, depending on what's needed to maintain stable prices. With all that power, measures need to be taken to ensure that this Bitcoin overseer is independent and credible.

Of course, you'll need somebody to run it. And if outgoing Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke doesn't get a job running a central bank for frequent flyer miles, as endorsed in this space a few weeks ago, maybe Bitcoiners can give him a call.

ROTFLMAO

Either this is one of the most uninformed people about bitcoin, how it works, and the principles behind it, or someone was just trying to get an article written in 15 minutes to meet the deadline.

Wow...

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:21:42 PM

Probably the deadline theory.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 09:24:09 PM

that must be in the hall of fame for the worst bitcoin related titles ever  Cheesy

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:36:24 PM

I really wonder when the FED will realise that they CAN'T do that.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:32:21 PM

I hate to burst everyone's bubble ...

The Federal Reserve was created in 1913 to manage the U.S. money supply, and at this time, the U.S. was on a gold standard. Fractional reserve banking will make it possible for the Federal Reserve to manage the bitcoin money supply (with possibly limited success), but not in the way the author suggested.

I predict that the Federal Reserve will be managing the bitcoin money supply within 10 years.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:59:41 PM

The Federal Reserve was created in 1913 to manage the U.S. money supply, and at this time, the U.S. was on a gold standard. Fractional reserve banking will make it possible for the Federal Reserve to manage the bitcoin money supply (with possibly limited success), but not in the way the author suggested.

I predict that the Federal Reserve will be managing the bitcoin money supply within 10 years.

Well...this assumes Bitcoin becomes centralized. And it assumes that the Fed is still around. And the Fed has destroyed the value of the dollar...
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 12:29:13 AM

...maybe Bitcoiners can give him [Ben Bernanke] a call [to run bitcoin].

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen written about bitcoin.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:32:24 AM

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:55:04 AM

I think articles like this are like the central banking and world financial institutions way of saying goodbye. Let's hope they don't think the goodbye options through in an Alex Jones type way.

"Somtime near the beginning of the 21st Century, mankind was united in celebration. That's when it happened. We don't know who struck first, but we know it was us that scorched the skies"

Vires in numeris

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:28:50 AM

yeah just cap bitcoin at $500 and distribute bits based on need rather than wanted purchases

LOL

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:47:17 AM

That would be the biggest fail of bitcoin so I will personally make sure that this will never happen.

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 02:18:20 AM

That would be the biggest fail of bitcoin so I will personally make sure that this will never happen.

I think you're all misreading what "managing" means.

The fed doesn't have to buy all the bitcoins, or process transactions to "manage" the supply.  The fed will just need to decide what tools they have available.  They could issue bitcoin bonds the same way they issue dollar bonds, cuz what's the fricken difference?

Just one random thought, but to say the fed is managing the bitcoin supply in 10 years shouldn't be written off as quickly as all the replies here have done.

I believe it's a longer discussion.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:20:03 AM

The fed doesn't have to buy all the bitcoins, or process transactions to "manage" the supply.  The fed will just need to decide what tools they have available.  They could issue bitcoin bonds the same way they issue dollar bonds, cuz what's the fricken difference?

Just one random thought, but to say the fed is managing the bitcoin supply in 10 years shouldn't be written off as quickly as all the replies here have done.

You are exactly confirming what they said up there.

Without the 8000 tons of golds confiscated from the Americans, I doubt their bonds would have been worth so much.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:29:52 AM

Without the 8000 tons of golds confiscated from the Americans, I doubt their bonds would have been worth so much.

The Federal Reserve can manipulate the bitcoin supply by changing the reserve requirement.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:42:53 AM

The Federal Reserve can manipulate the bitcoin supply by changing the reserve requirement.

Try to collect these reserves from people like me, who don't need banks.

Without the banks, FDR is obsolete.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:11:38 AM

taking that $78,000 hit to assasinate bernanke are you?

[/not serious]

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:16:24 AM

Good luck buying a house.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:38:44 AM

TL/DR version:  The way to "fix" a decentralized currency is to centralize it.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:40:48 AM

Good luck buying a house.

Wait a couple of years, you might be surprised.

notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:34:09 AM

If you want to change PI in 3.15 you can make a law but it wont happen Smiley , the same goes bitcoin and central bank.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███