Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:05:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: coinbase.com defrauds with different schemes  (Read 5490 times)
accord01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:05:24 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 11:47:07 PM by accord01

Coinbase.com is NOT an exchange, it is NOT a service... it is a company made for the SOLE purpose of trading and hedging customer funds and defrauding the customers and getting away with it.

I don't know where to begin when it comes to coinbase.com being dishonest in their practices, website, terms of service, and blog responses... all to defraud the customer.  For some of the customers that they defraud via the "high risk transaction" scheme, they actually recreate the original transactions and make it right.  For others (most likely the larger amounts they pocket), they simply never respond, leaving you hanging and burning.

They even give you back the money they steal from you SOME of the times, to make it look like they are not a total scam.  Other times, they pocket the money and simply stop responding to you or respond with this email:

"I am extremely sorry for the confusion on this. I've taken further steps to review your account and at this point we've been able to get you whitelisted. Any future purchases you make from this point forward will not encounter this cancellation. Unfortunately, since the refund has already been sent out on these original purchases, I'm unable to push through or re-create the original transactions.

Again, I apologize for the frustration this has caused. If you need further assistance please let me know and I'll be happy to help!"

What? You admit it was YOUR fault, but you can't give me back my money???  and you're sorry? and you'll be happy to help??? This does not compute!

They have stolen money from people who have previously done HUNDREDS of successful transactions by canceling orders and calling it a "high risk transaction".

They have also canceled bitcoin transfers WITHOUT notice or any record in the history.

Here is a small collection of threads showing how coinbase has profited off of customers by stealing their money via the high risk transaction scheme:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339882.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145797.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339849.msg3655636#msg3655636

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=328076.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=322631.msg3454765#msg3454765

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=322229.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321684.msg3450929#msg3450929

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=328013.msg3531406#msg3531406

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=328013.msg3526610#msg3526610

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=338172.msg3627572#msg3627572

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/14195/did-i-just-get-defrauded-by-coinbase

Personally, coinbase canceled 3 orders of 15 bitcoins that has costed me over $6000.00 as of right now.  They simply stopped responding to my support ticket.  And the last email I got from them it said the following:

1) It was their mistake, and sorry for all the hassles such as holding your money in limbo for so long and the emotional hassles

2) You have been whitelisted

3) You won't be able to get your money back and the money that you should have made, we have already pocketed it (aka we are selling those bitcoins of yours for a MUCH higher price now).

4) But if you stay with us, we guarantee you won't be robbed again.  Thank you and come again.

Personally, I think it is VERY smart for them to give back what they have stolen in the smaller transactions that they flag, such as .5 btc or 1 btc, and pocket the larger ones like mine... So they can say, "see, we made a mistake but we corrected it"

Thanks for ruining people's lives, coinbase.com!

One more thing, we, the customers aren't exactly helpless though.  Thank God for the land of the free.  I hope EVERYONE (not just the people that have been robbed) files a complaint with coinbase.com.  Sure it could be useful for those that have dodged the bullet, but a company like this CANNOT be good for digital currencies in the long run.

Here is the form, very simple to fill out:

http://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

And from what I've heard, they are quite capable of getting you something compensated.

Just fill out coinbase.com for the company or maybe fill out San Francisco for city.  Coinbase obviously doesn't supply an address or contact info.

For bitcoin to be healthy, companies like coinbase.com needs to be weeded out.

Edit:

Here is just an example of how Olaf, there head spokesperson/support tells a lie with ease:

it is unbelievable how he just casually makes a dishonest statement.

Trance,

Sorry for the confusion here. We use machine learning algorithms to prevent fraud and they're not always 100% accurate. If you feel you've had a transaction cancelled incorrectly send support an email. We regularly review transactions and push them through at the original purchase price upon request. I also wrote a bit about our fraud program in the fourth section here:

http://newsbtc.com/2013/11/07/coinbases-olaf-carlson-wee-answers-questions-users-technical-issues/

Hope that helps!

This is just a straight up lie, they don't regularly push transactions through at original purchase price upon request.  They didn't do it for me because the amount was so high.

From what i've known, none of the higher amts where they have ripped people off have they refunded.  Only small amts.

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:45:55 AM

I agree with this. This company is hurting the bitcoin industry. I don't know how else I'll sell my bitcoin, but I'm sure I'll figure a way and they won't want my bank information, credit cards and pin#'s, phone numbers, family members names, telephone, address,  and whatever  else information they have on me. What do I have on them? Basically nothing. Not even an address or phone number. Just an occasional email response from some rude kid that doesn't help you at all.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
IamRichard

Activity: 567
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 06:43:40 AM

ripoffreport

pissedconsumer

write 500+ words, goto seo clerks and push it to the first page

#winning
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:26:05 PM

DO NOT USE COINBASE!

YOU ARE BETTER OFF PAYING FOR BITCOINS WITH PAYPAL ON THE CURRENCY EXCHANGE FORUM!  Angry

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
accord01 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:46:20 AM

Coinbase has yet to respond to me.  I have already reported them to the California State general attorney's office.  The state has responded to me and has referred me to a list of lawyers.  I will wait a little bit longer to see if they respond.
RaylonS

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:46:28 PM

Accord01,

I feel for the position you're in, it's beyond shi##y. I would be just as livid and not cutting them any slack, I'd be emailing every single day with the full story of my complaint and your intended actions.

I know that a lot of folks have no problems with Coinbase, and a lot of folks have no problems, until they do, and it's the big one. This cannot be a simple matter of bad algorithms. Once there is a trusted history between an institution and your bank, there should be no reason on the customer side to encounter these problems.

One thing you said confused me. In their email to you it says "since the refund has already been sent out on these original purchases"

So it would seem they're not just saying "No refund for you, sucka" but in fact they think they've refunded you. Admittedly giving you back your money for the purchase is little solace to losing the profits you wouldve made, but at least you're not getting robbed twice.

Now I have a question for you as a relative newb to this space. I set up with Coinbase and submitted a purchase for .005BC last week (very small just to test out "the process") and they just emailed me with one of their "high risk" notices.

Id be happy to kick them to the curb, but need an alternative. I see a LOT of complaints about Coinbase but very few alternatives for US customers.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:38:42 PM

Id be happy to kick them to the curb, but need an alternative. I see a LOT of complaints about Coinbase but very few alternatives for US customers.

Learn to WoT. There's never an acceptable justification for giving money to known scam artists.

And that's the lesson, folks. It's not about cheering on crap that clearly has no business handling your money, and relying on Nanny Gov to help you out when shit inevitably hits the fan. It's about taking responsibility for yourself and not using services like these. The warnings have been ample.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
RaylonS

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:09:45 PM

How does one "learn" "web of trust" - what does that even mean?

Do you have any suggestions for someone new getting into this? As I said if we are to leave the poor performers behind there has to be better options.

Presuming I can trust you (which I am).

Thanks
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:25:53 AM

How does one "learn" "web of trust" - what does that even mean?

Do you have any suggestions for someone new getting into this? As I said if we are to leave the poor performers behind there has to be better options.

Presuming I can trust you (which I am).

Thanks

Well: http://bitcoin-otc.com

Their wiki explains a lot of the basic how to do things so you can get up and running. The general idea though is to transition from less than incredibly reliable things like CoinBase to doing business with individuals who have their continued reputation staked on a successful trade.

Learning to WoT though involves doing the work and the reading to build your own personal Web of Trust. Bitcoin-otc supplies a nice tool, but you have to interpret the information it contains on your own.

Brighterbits

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:35:27 AM

This is unsettling.. because I just opened an account a few weeks ago and completed my first transaction with them. As a test and it took about 5 days from when initiated, but it went through. Now I have a positive balance with them, should I remove my bank account info with them? Is my checking account safe at all?

datafish
Donator

Activity: 129

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:41:24 AM

Coinbase seems like it's down with an "Application Error" now.   Sad
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:52:51 AM

i like this thread. let's promote it here so common users should see it.

we all have the same problem with them.

RaylonS

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:33:23 PM

@ Brighterbits

I'm pretty new, so take this with a grain of salt as it's just what I've gleaned recently and from reading the comments of others.

Coinbase is a gamble that breaks down (as I see it) roughly as follows:

50% chance - you will have no problems making transactions that take 3-5 days (this is the standard ACH time and is DEFINITELY the banks fault, and it's archaic and stupid)
30% chance - you will just have your transactions cancelled before they take any money from your account
*18% chance - they will take your money, hold it for 3-5 days, and then just cancel your transaction and (within a couple of days) return your money, without any profit or loss to you
2% chance - they will take your money, hold it, and then just cancel your transaction at which point your money goes into limbo and you never see it again

**This seems like the most common scheme/problem people have run into - They can theoretically make a boatload off your money by having & holding those coins and if there's an uptick in the market just act as if your transaction never went through.

I have NOT read of anyone having unauthorized withdrawals from their banking institution, so I don't consider that a threat.

Good luck!
raybtc

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:52:21 AM

If you have been scammed by coinbase.com please go to this post to find out how to file a complaint! Bookmark this post as you will need to refer to it when the respective federal and state organization contact you! Or just print it out

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375245.0
Xiaoxiao
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:20:16 AM

Coinbase is nothing short of a bunch of fucking thieves!
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:15:24 PM

You guys should to send a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt, here :

Company information:
COMPANY CONFORMED NAME: Coinbase Inc.
CENTRAL INDEX KEY: 0001576711
IRS NUMBER: 455293997
STATE OF INCORPORATION: DE
FISCAL YEAR END: 1231
FILING VALUES:
FORM TYPE: D
SEC ACT: 1933 Act
SEC FILE NUMBER: 021-196380
FILM NUMBER: 13837179
BUSINESS ADDRESS:
STREET 1: 1 BLUXOME STREET, APT. 410
CITY: SAN FRANCISCO
STATE: CA
ZIP: 94107
accord01 (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:12:45 AM

You guys should to send a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt, here :

Company information:
COMPANY CONFORMED NAME: Coinbase Inc.
CENTRAL INDEX KEY: 0001576711
IRS NUMBER: 455293997
STATE OF INCORPORATION: DE
FISCAL YEAR END: 1231
FILING VALUES:
FORM TYPE: D
SEC ACT: 1933 Act
SEC FILE NUMBER: 021-196380
FILM NUMBER: 13837179
BUSINESS ADDRESS:
STREET 1: 1 BLUXOME STREET, APT. 410
CITY: SAN FRANCISCO
STATE: CA
ZIP: 94107

Wait, send an acknowledgement of receipt to coinbase?  Why?  We're not threatening them.  We're trying to get compensated and to stop this madness.
matreciman

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:06:33 PM

Anyone ever get their issue resolved? Coinbase still won't help me and their last support response was about it takes 4 days for the transaction to complete...It's been almost 30. Coinbase is totally worthless!!!
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:34:54 AM

Coinbase.com is NOT an exchange, it is NOT a service... it is a company made for the SOLE purpose of trading and hedging customer funds and defrauding the customers and getting away with it.

Super hysteric, baseless accusation, as is the norm here. Roll Eyes

Incompetence or not enough employees to handle the accounts does not equate to the above quote.  Not disputing that you have a problem with them, but Jesus, take off the tinfoil hat.
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:46:44 AM

This is unsettling.. because I just opened an account a few weeks ago and completed my first transaction with them. As a test and it took about 5 days from when initiated, but it went through. Now I have a positive balance with them, should I remove my bank account info with them? Is my checking account safe at all?

Your fine, ignore the hysteria.  There are issues, and they take a long time to get resolved, but by and large the crap you hear in this forum about Coinbase is just people panicking and shooting from the hip.  We have been conditioned to think the moment something goes wrong, it's a scam!  While there have been scammers  associated with bitcoin, Coinbase is not one of them.  A better thread to look at would be the reddit coinbase thread where a couple employees, (bitcoin batman, cbsupport, cbsupport2) can help you out if you have a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: