Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:30:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO protect yourself from Scammers  (Read 3929 times)
Dod Ong

Activity: 323
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:12:32 PM

I was making a list for my team on how to stay away from Crypto scammers, and thought I would just share it here as well.

Here are the type of Crypto scammers that I have encountered

Type 1. ICO as a SCAM - (More info contributed by: tosindesign)
There are ICOs that are only designed to get your money. Once the ICO is over then the pages are taken off the net and the makers of the ICO disappear with the money. The last case we reported was LoopX, but this is not the only case.

How can you protect yourself?
1. (by: tosindesign) Generally there is no 100% protection here. A good indication for a scam is there is no team mentioned on the website or whitepaper. Although everything is very superficial and promised a lot, but after reading the white paper is not clear how that should be possible.
2. (by: GeckoTrader) One of the best things to do to avoid ICO scamming is to learn and back read all information about that ICO. As they always say " More knowledge is power"
3. (by: GeckoTrader) The team should have been communicating to the community.
4. (by: GeckoTrader) Always they should have an update from their company. If you sense something fishy do not hesitate to ask question from them. In that means you can confirm whether they are legit or just a bunch of scammers.

Type 2. Scammers who sell FAKE COINS (name / coin code is same but coin generating contract is different)
How to protect yourself: Check the contract address of these coins, if it came from the same contract address

Type 3. Social media scammers - Would post like "I will send you 50 ETH if you send me 5"
How to protect yourself: This is an easy one, they all are scammers. Dont even respond.

Type 4: Identity theft scammers - These guys will contact you as CEOs of ICOs or Social celebrities, usually banking upon the names of a famous person
How to protect yourself: Try pinging them from an another ID of theirs (say if scammer pinged you from Telegram, drop them a message over their facebook ID) and ask them to check that message. This would work as a Two-Factor-Authentication for that personality.

Type 5: Malicious code Trojans - Like Wordpress or Chrome plugins, that would use your machine to mine for crypto currencies, using your machine for the same
How to protect yourself: Try not to do plugins or replace them with cloud powered services, OR, Install only trusted plugins, with loads of reviews maybe. I wont be surprised if these trojans take shape of free downloadable games or cracked softwares downloadable for desktop or your mobile.

Type 6: Online Seed Generators (contributed by: tosindesign)
For some wallets (eg the IOTA Wallet) you have to set your own seed. In the case of IOTA, this is an 81-digit password that must consist of uppercase letters and at least one 9. Since some did not want to generate a password themselves, they resorted to online seed generators. These generate you by mouse click an 81-digit seed. However, as it turns out later, a few of these seed generators also stored the generated passwords, The stored seeds were then later used to steal the assets of the investors concerned. You have to know that the seed is something like the master key that allows all credits to be transferred. A thief does not even have to have access to your computer on which the wallet is installed. The seed is enough to access your balance on another computer.

Never use an online seed generator! When generating an 81-digit seed, all you have to do is push 81 random keys on your keyboard.

Type 7: Phishing website attempts (contributed by: tosindesign)
Scammers would copy exact replica of the websites (wallets, exchanges) and try to get you to login, thereby recording you password. For example, the page Blockchain.info was copied to get the logins. You have to know that Blockchain.info also offers a wallet service where Wallet could save your bitcoins. If Google users searched for “Blockchain info” in some countries, they ran a Google ad that led to Blockchaina.info, a cheat site that has nothing to do with Blockchain.info. The site was a 1: 1 copy of Blockchain.info and was only designed to get login information from users. There are also similar attempts to MyEtherwallet.com and other sites.

Never click anywhere on a link to a page where you want to log in. The best way is to bookmark the pages and just go over the web pages. In addition, you should always look for the SSL encryption. There will not be a page that stores important data from you and is located at http: //. All pages should now be encrypted SSL and have a https: // domain (although the pages can also be accessed at http: // they will redirect to https: //). The SSL certificates will also show you every browser, for example by a small lock symbol.

Type 9: Used Ledger Nano (contributed by: tosindesign)
At ebay and in other marketplaces there are always offers to buy the Ledger Nano a bit cheaper. This is particularly interesting now, where the Ledger Nano S is sold out and will be available again in one month. There have been cases in the past when users bought a used ledger on ebay and the seed from the ledger was already filled out. Anyone who has not owned a ledger to date will hardly register the difference. Of course, the previous owners have also noted the seed in these cases, which then allows them to get access to the crypto currencies that the new owner stores on the Ledger Nano S.  

If you want to use a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano S, buy it directly from the manufacturer and make sure that it is still original packed. The enclosed note on which you can write down the seed should never be filled.

Type 10: Airdrops that ask for personal information (contributed by: StarKay)
There are hyped up airdrops that may ask for KYC information, that may end up being used by scammers / hackers.

How to protect yourself:
Think of your personal information as an investment as well. Research who you are giving your information to and why that ICO will need it

Type 11: Identity theft via Social Media - (contributed by: darkangel11)
You have to realize what they want from you. In the end it's always your money, while in the process they may want some personal data, a phone number, whatever they can get into.

How to protect yourself: Never willingly give anything. Don't share your real social media accounts with random people, keep your email addresses to yourself and if you have to use them make sure to have burner emails. What are burners? Not necessarily emails created for every forum and project. Just emails that don't contain your personal data and that you're not using for online shopping, banking and so on.

Please add more below, or share your story.

For me, It just like a relationship if you want to protect your girlfriend you need to be protective and you don't need to talk to other if you did not know that person. I want to talk to them if I know them. My parents said that don't talk to strangers so in that way you can protect your self in the scammers and do not talk about your bitcoin, because it is the key to victim you.
whoisyourking

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:21:03 PM

This is very helpful to us not only for the investors but also to the bounty humters who are working to promote the coins but in the end they will end up empty handed and lost thier time and effort.
cryptokath19

Activity: 406
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:48:36 PM

I was making a list for my team on how to stay away from Crypto scammers, and thought I would just share it here as well.

There are ICOs that are only designed to get your money. Once the ICO is over then the pages are taken off the net and the makers of the ICO disappear with the money. The last case we reported was LoopX, but this is not the only case.

1. (by: tosindesign) Generally there is no 100% protection here. A good indication for a scam is there is no team mentioned on the website or whitepaper. Although everything is very superficial and promised a lot, but after reading the white paper is not clear how that should be possible.
2. (by: GeckoTrader) One of the best things to do to avoid ICO scamming is to learn and back read all information about that ICO. As they always say " More knowledge is power"
4. (by: GeckoTrader) Always they should have an update from their company. If you sense something fishy do not hesitate to ask question from them. In that means you can confirm whether they are legit or just a bunch of scammers.

Type 2. Scammers who sell FAKE COINS (name / coin code is same but coin generating contract is different)
How to protect yourself: Check the contract address of these coins, if it came from the same contract address

Type 3. Social media scammers - Would post like "I will send you 50 ETH if you send me 5"
How to protect yourself: This is an easy one, they all are scammers. Dont even respond.

Type 4: Identity theft scammers - These guys will contact you as CEOs of ICOs or Social celebrities, usually banking upon the names of a famous person
How to protect yourself: Try pinging them from an another ID of theirs (say if scammer pinged you from Telegram, drop them a message over their facebook ID) and ask them to check that message. This would work as a Two-Factor-Authentication for that personality.

Type 5: Malicious code Trojans - Like Wordpress or Chrome plugins, that would use your machine to mine for crypto currencies, using your machine for the same
How to protect yourself: Try not to do plugins or replace them with cloud powered services, OR, Install only trusted plugins, with loads of reviews maybe. I wont be surprised if these trojans take shape of free downloadable games or cracked softwares downloadable for desktop or your mobile.

For some wallets (eg the IOTA Wallet) you have to set your own seed. In the case of IOTA, this is an 81-digit password that must consist of uppercase letters and at least one 9. Since some did not want to generate a password themselves, they resorted to online seed generators. These generate you by mouse click an 81-digit seed. However, as it turns out later, a few of these seed generators also stored the generated passwords, The stored seeds were then later used to steal the assets of the investors concerned. You have to know that the seed is something like the master key that allows all credits to be transferred. A thief does not even have to have access to your computer on which the wallet is installed. The seed is enough to access your balance on another computer.

Never use an online seed generator! When generating an 81-digit seed, all you have to do is push 81 random keys on your keyboard.

Scammers would copy exact replica of the websites (wallets, exchanges) and try to get you to login, thereby recording you password. For example, the page Blockchain.info was copied to get the logins. You have to know that Blockchain.info also offers a wallet service where Wallet could save your bitcoins. If Google users searched for “Blockchain info” in some countries, they ran a Google ad that led to Blockchaina.info, a cheat site that has nothing to do with Blockchain.info. The site was a 1: 1 copy of Blockchain.info and was only designed to get login information from users. There are also similar attempts to MyEtherwallet.com and other sites.

Never click anywhere on a link to a page where you want to log in. The best way is to bookmark the pages and just go over the web pages. In addition, you should always look for the SSL encryption. There will not be a page that stores important data from you and is located at http: //. All pages should now be encrypted SSL and have a https: // domain (although the pages can also be accessed at http: // they will redirect to https: //). The SSL certificates will also show you every browser, for example by a small lock symbol.

At ebay and in other marketplaces there are always offers to buy the Ledger Nano a bit cheaper. This is particularly interesting now, where the Ledger Nano S is sold out and will be available again in one month. There have been cases in the past when users bought a used ledger on ebay and the seed from the ledger was already filled out. Anyone who has not owned a ledger to date will hardly register the difference. Of course, the previous owners have also noted the seed in these cases, which then allows them to get access to the crypto currencies that the new owner stores on the Ledger Nano S.  

If you want to use a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano S, buy it directly from the manufacturer and make sure that it is still original packed. The enclosed note on which you can write down the seed should never be filled.

There are hyped up airdrops that may ask for KYC information, that may end up being used by scammers / hackers.

How to protect yourself:
Think of your personal information as an investment as well. Research who you are giving your information to and why that ICO will need it

You have to realize what they want from you. In the end it's always your money, while in the process they may want some personal data, a phone number, whatever they can get into.

How to protect yourself: Never willingly give anything. Don't share your real social media accounts with random people, keep your email addresses to yourself and if you have to use them make sure to have burner emails. What are burners? Not necessarily emails created for every forum and project. Just emails that don't contain your personal data and that you're not using for online shopping, banking and so on.

This will helps for everyone especially for the newbies. We all know that mostly had experienced for being scammed but in different way. Honestly, Im a victim of a scam when I was new here in crypto I was decided to invest without nothing to do like researching and study. And after i experienced, I make research and study so that I will never  scam again. And the most important thing is to secure any personal accounts like email, password and even a wallet account.
Chacha1000

Activity: 645
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:51:53 PM

There are lots of scammers out there so one have to be extremely careful.One of the ways of being carefull is by being mindful of the site we visit
SingAlong

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 01:01:32 PM

Scammers are really active now they are unstoppable. The only way to prvent those scammers are being knowledgeable enough about this forum because no one can fool anyone if you are aware and knowledgeable. And avoid joining projects that are too good to be true and lastly don't give any personal information in any sites and avoid clicking links.

◆  ◆  ◆  ◇      P L A Z A      ◇  ◆  ◆  ◆            The Intersection of Lifestyle & Technology
[ WHITEPAPER ]     PRE-SALE Starts  │  March 15th, 2018     [ ANN THREAD ]
TELEGRAM        GITHUB       MEDIUM        YOUTUBE        TWITTER        FLIPBOARD        REDDIT        LINKEDIN        FACEBOOK        EMAIL
StuartJonson

Activity: 83
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:36:09 AM

Scammers are always there to disturbed you, you just need to be careful in every stage.
MakLampir

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:51:24 AM

First of all to avoid scams do not give up on this huge amount of money in exchange for your investment because of this much scam.all will do a scammer cheat and then one should not believe especially in the easy money offered us.I'm avoiding these things because i do not want to lose those things and i dont believed in the strangers.
mickeybuddy27

Activity: 429
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:59:30 AM

Scammers are really active now they are unstoppable. The only way to prvent those scammers are being knowledgeable enough about this forum because no one can fool anyone if you are aware and knowledgeable. And avoid joining projects that are too good to be true and lastly don't give any personal information in any sites and avoid clicking links.
Be conscious on every sites that you visit, search and get information if there is someone offers earning easy money because your investment gonna lose if not and cannot irreversible. Those knowledgeable people cannot be a victim of scam because they have techniques and do not be greed on the higher offer. Protecting your account in any scam is like protecting yourself to be down of anybody.

prediction on bush

Activity: 231
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:04:58 AM

How to protect yourself:

To protect your self from scammer is avoid giving a personal information and don't give a private key to anyone. Take time to read some articles about scammers.
kulitmanggis

Activity: 233

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:20:40 AM

in fact for new players it is definitely going to be difficult to protect yourself from scamers but for old players are very familiar with scamers, to protect yourself you better look and find information from the coin you want to buy.
Odlanyer

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:26:56 AM

Because im beginner I didn't experience scam right now, but i suggest we don't let yourself to people who you don't know, and don't invest your bitcoin just hold it in your wallet hold it for a long time until the price high and if its right time you can sell your bitcoin and be careful to the scammers.
maerose_sun

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:38:00 AM

Inorder to be safe from being hacked, we must to secure our private key, we must keep it within us like if you are good in memory you can memorize it,  or put it in a piece of paper and keep it to the safest place where you’re the only one who knows, or create your own wallet and store the private key -offline-.
MattLeBlanc

Activity: 364
Merit: 37

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:38:37 AM

I guess the missing type from this list is

Make a coin with a fake idea, airdrop it to everyone. Pump the coin up in the decentralized exchanges and then dump everything and vanish.

The solution varies from not joining low grade airdrops to sell your coins in the early rise (Scamming the scammer.)

Hopefully this will be added to the list by OP..  Grin
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 07:07:22 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 08:56:21 AM by xtraelv

Type 1. ICO as a SCAM

Check out the team - find out whether they are using their real names or just "stolen" pictures from social media sites.

Like with this FAKE ICO https://www.uatchain.com/
The photos on that ICO are so fake that they used the same photo for two of their team members.
"James" and Tony" must be identical twins.

Google image search is handy for that.

Find out what other projects they have been involved with before.

If in doubt don't invest.

Ethereum tokens are notorious for this. - But other token platforms will be targeted too as they become more popular.

Also be aware of non scams that can fool you. Different exchanges use the same ticker for different coins. BTG could be BitGem or BitcoinGold

Waves platform - ensure you buy VERIFIED bitcoin, waves and Ethereum. (Indicated by a green tick)

Every verified asset has a green tick.

Type 7: Phishing website attempts
How to avoid getting your exchange account HaCkEd or pHiShEd

ADDITIONAL:
Bitcoin Gold wallet scam
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2452110.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2336309.0

I am starting to think that this might be a convoluted scam by the bona fide members of the bitcoin gold development team themselves.

In any case, can someone post a guide on how we get our share of BTG, and is this site safe to use?

https://btgwallet.online/

In an interview, victims blamed the association of the website with the official bitcoin gold project as a source of the effectiveness of the operation.

One of the victims, Mikel Martin, explained to CoinDesk:

"I reached this site by following the link at [the] bitcoingold.org official website so I trusted it. Yesterday afternoon I noticed both my BTC and BTG stored in that wallet were gone."

Before the thefts became apparent, the team behind bitcoin gold – an effort to create a new version of bitcoin that would restrict the types of hardware that can be used for mining – promoted mybtgwallet.com on their Twitter account, assuring users that it was safe to use on multiple occasions.

The person behind the service was, to an extent, ingratiated in the nascent BTG community, including its Slack channel. The website was developed by a user named John Dass, though it is unclear whether this is the developer's actual name or a pseudonym.

Read the full article https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-gold-wallet-scam-nets-3-million-illicit-earnings/

When a coin forks it requires using the private key on the new chain - this potentially provides the key to your wallet. With the Bitcoin gold scam the scammer changed the code for the conversion wallet to steal the users Bitcoin.

Self escrow scams-  where a scammer uses their other "trusted" alt to "escrow" the funds. This happens on forums where the same or symilar names can be used to that of admins or other trusted people. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1171059.0

Smart contract scam:
Clever honeytrap scam where users are tempted into sending ETH as "gas" to "claim" 75000 ICX tokens.
Instead the ETH is transferred by the smart contract to another wallet after one confirmation.

Dear all member .
   Current appear fraud by smart contract at the market cryptocurrency, and my is it's victim, so I want to alert to all cryptocurrency member to avoid it.
  I has already received  like bellow :
*****Hello! I will help you to get 75 000 ICX tokens

Look at this wallet and log in with your private key
0xA8015DF1F65E1f53D491dC1ED35013031ad25034 ETH

PRIVATE KEY of this wallet (ATTENTION! do not transfer your eth to this wallet, your money will be stolen, only I can help you with the withdrawal of ICX to your ETH wallet!)
668a369e87c01da5bfca9851e6ee86d760e17ee7912d77b7dffe8e0cdf63bcb5

Send me 5 ETH and I will unlock tokens ICX for you and help bring eth wallet to you
My ETH for payment
0x8e40cAC7F4e5FA4ac81e1127b92C3C8b43501965

Write on my mail (criptoman194@gmail.com) after sending eth using your TxHash

Thanks. *****

As you can see , they also give to me PRIVATE KEY of  wallet and actually I can open this wallet , BUT THIS IS SCAM, this is a ETH wallet based on SMART CONTRACT " IF YOU SEND TO THIS WALLET ETH IT'S Automatic transfer ETH balance to other ETH wallte.
   They have scammed 391 ETH until now and you can see on the picture bellow :

So all member  be wary of it .

Just send me a PM if you would like me to explain anything in more detail.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
KID_28

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 07:40:33 AM

Resarch first. If the coin is too good to be true, please doubt. Scammers are all over waiting for you to take the bait. Be vigilant and search search search.
deppil

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 07:50:29 AM

Yeah you're right a person who has knowledge of course will be more difficult to be deceived. and the information provided by the OP is helpful for you to be more knowledgeable. knowledge will protect you from fraud. because you can tell which investment is right and fraud, be more careful from phishing sites, and so on
Shtamm_oval

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 04:04:54 PM

How to protect yourself:

I believe that doing research before taking any decision is the single best option to stay safe. I have saved my thousands of dollars just because I read the topics about the particular investment option when I was about to invest in it.
crisanto01

Activity: 644
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 04:33:32 PM

I believe that doing research before taking any decision is the single best option to stay safe. I have saved my thousands of dollars just because I read the topics about the particular investment option when I was about to invest in it.
That is right, you need to protect yourself from those scammers, and that is by being responsible with yourself, I know that all of us here are busy but we should have time to do everything for us to know when a certain investment scheme or a project was just a scam or not.
666Kleopatra

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 04:57:10 PM

Never need to relax when working with crypto-currencies. Scammers use ignorance and laziness of their victims
dillema018

Activity: 214
Merit: 20

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 05:20:20 PM

it's easy for you to scam if you're offered to invest or pay for a profit making sure that the info is good for you who offers you just not to believe and if you can ask any friends you know for not being threatened

Yes I agree, also research is the key to be aware of scammers and inevitable individual, using 2fa code for your account is recommended before anything study an ICO and assess it, if its ok join it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: