Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:14:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone smart teach me the concept of fiat currency vs. virtual currency?  (Read 3675 times)
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:44:26 AM

This will sound stupid but I'm just gonna be blunt...

How is bitcoin different than transferring dollars through Paypal? They say bitcoin is instant, and there is no cost... isn't transferring money through Paypal instant too? When I transfer money to my friend online from my bank to their bank... isn't it instant too? Why does transferring money require transaction fees but transferring bitcoins don't? Is it because money from different banks and corporations actually need to be physically delivered at some point, where bitcoins are virtual? How can money be manipulated and the bitcoin cannot? Is it because the value of bitcoins depend on the free market aka supply vs demand of the people who own it... as opposed to the dollar that is inflated by the gov/federal reserve?

Serious and simple answers would be appreciated. I want to grasp the concept on how bitcoin is revolutionary... I sort of see it but I'm kind of confused at the same time, maybe because I know jack about money and finance.

Thanks

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:52:09 AM

i'm far from being an expert, so i don't feel confident enough to wrap it up into one post.
any longtime member can help out much better here.

i recommend documentary thread for the first start: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268955.0
there's a list with many useful vids and talks.

lukestokes

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:02:31 AM

I put together a video recently you might find useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJljgM6TSu8&feature=youtu.be

We're coming up on almost 4,000 views since it was uploaded on November 9th.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:22:33 AM

Thanks for that link!

and lukestokes, your video is very helpful! I'm still watching it right now

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 06:55:26 AM

A fiat is a currency and so far no virtual crypto-currency is a currency:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=341594.msg3660007#msg3660007

Just because you call it a currency, doesn't make it so.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:12:07 AM

A currency is anything used as a currency.  It's as simple as that.  Just because you say otherwise based on your own made-up definition doesn't make it so.
benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:38:34 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 08:04:05 AM by benjamindees

Bitcoin doesn't have anything to do with dollars.

Okay, honestly, I had to read your post a few times, because your questions do seem rather dumb.  But here's the answer.  Bitcoin is revolutionary for basically one reason.  It isn't centrally controlled.  All of the other revolutionary design characteristics of Bitcoin flow from this.  For instance, it is limited in quantity because, in a decentralized currency, no one can set an inflation rate.  So once all 21 million Bitcoins are mined, there is no inflation.  As you pointed out, the value fluctuates as determined by the free market.  This is also revolutionary in a way that fiat currencies are not.  Limited, free market currencies efficiently transmit pricing information so that all sectors of the economy can work together optimally.  Because Bitcoin is decentralized, there are no banking monopolies.  Fees are determined by the market, so they approach cost.  Bitcoins are completely digital.  Unlike previous limited, free market currencies such as gold and silver, Bitcoin is extremely liquid.  It can be near-infinitely divided to use in everyday trade.  Because of it's decentralized design, there is no need to trust centralized entities such as governments or companies such as Paypal that can, and frequently do, arbitrarily disrupt trade.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 07:55:37 AM

In almost every way Bitcoin is exactly the opposite of Government issued fiat currency:

Code:
Peer-to-peer            Centrally controlled
Open source             Closed doors
World wide              Each country
Outside government      Government
Outside banking         Banking
Free market             Manipulated every day
Limited supply          Infinite supply
Irreversible            Reversible
Reward savers           Punish savers
Necessity economy       Consumer economy
Yours to posses/own     Bank posseses/owns

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:15:55 AM

A currency is anything used as a currency.  It's as simple as that.  Just because you say otherwise based on your own made-up definition doesn't make it so.

I suggest you try to survive in a small town in Canada carrying only Mexican pesos.

More saliently I challenge you to buy 20 BTC and then spend them without wasting your money. I mean buy only the things that you would normally spend your money on daily without converting to a fiat. And don't use any fiat at all.

In almost every way Bitcoin is exactly the opposite of Government issued fiat currency:

Not. The difference between fantasy and delusion, is only the whether the hair grows on the palm of your right or left hand.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 10:44:57 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 12:15:32 PM by AnonyMint

Inflationary vs Deflationary

One is set up to lose value over time (the US$ has lost 99% of its value in the last 100 years) and the other is set up to rise in value over time as supply is managed to a fixed endpoint

Bitcoin is going to destroy all the value just the same. It is proven pyramid scheme.

lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:46:32 PM

One is set up to lose value over time (the US$ has lost 99% of its value in the last 100 years) and the other is set up to rise in value over time as supply is managed to a fixed endpoint

I call BS due to the fact in most countries you get a real return of around 1% a year in fiat by keeping your money in the bank. Even more if reasonably invested.

Furthermore, for people stating that there is an unlimited supply of dollars, that's BS too. Central banks can forcibly take Money out of the system when inflation happens by increasing the cash rate, selling back government bonds, leading to a reduced money supply. This all happens transparently. BS on the closed doors. Good luck holding inflationary bitcoins when the united states starts tapering. Bitcoins are to be continuously produced for over 100 years still to come , meanwhile dollars are going to be constantly destroyed in the near term due to the taper. Then money supply will converge to mean values dictated by average interest rates. Those averages are much higher than rates today. Thus cash will become more valuable in the long term compared to now, provided it is hedged for inflation either through term deposits or inflation linked bonds.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 02:24:10 PM

Bitcoin is going to destroy all the value just the same. It is proven pyramid scheme.
There is a reason your ignore button is glowing.  On the ignore list you go.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:28:58 PM

There is a reason your ignore button is glowing.  On the ignore list you go.

I consider it a badge of great honor. It means I am saying what you don't want the others to know.

My ignores appear to be about 0.001% of the users on this forum. That is hardly a lot. Can't you muster more than that?

Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Okay, honestly, I had to read your post a few times, because your questions do seem rather dumb.  But here's the answer.  Bitcoin is revolutionary for basically one reason.  It isn't centrally controlled.  All of the other revolutionary design characteristics of Bitcoin flow from this.  For instance, it is limited in quantity because, in a decentralized currency, no one can set an inflation rate.  So once all 21 million Bitcoins are mined, there is no inflation.  As you pointed out, the value fluctuates as determined by the free market.  This is also revolutionary in a way that fiat currencies are not.  Limited, free market currencies efficiently transmit pricing information so that all sectors of the economy can work together optimally.  Because Bitcoin is decentralized, there are no banking monopolies.  Fees are determined by the market, so they approach cost.  Bitcoins are completely digital.  Unlike previous limited, free market currencies such as gold and silver, Bitcoin is extremely liquid.  It can be near-infinitely divided to use in everyday trade.  Because of it's decentralized design, there is no need to trust centralized entities such as governments or companies such as Paypal that can, and frequently do, arbitrarily disrupt trade.

Yeah thanks, for calling me dumb and partly answering my question and mostly reiterating what I said

Please gtfo... I'm pressing the ignore button on you

Code:
Peer-to-peer            Centrally controlled
Open source             Closed doors
World wide              Each country
Outside government      Government
Outside banking         Banking
Free market             Manipulated every day
Limited supply          Infinite supply
Irreversible            Reversible
Reward savers           Punish savers
Necessity economy       Consumer economy
Yours to posses/own     Bank posseses/owns

This is perfect, thanks!

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 02:54:11 PM

Okay, honestly, I had to read your post a few times, because your questions do seem rather dumb.  But here's the answer.  Bitcoin is revolutionary for basically one reason.  It isn't centrally controlled.  All of the other revolutionary design characteristics of Bitcoin flow from this.  For instance, it is limited in quantity because, in a decentralized currency, no one can set an inflation rate

There is nothing revolutionary about Bitcoin for not being centrally controlled. In the medieval times you would bring a gold (or silver) bullion to the mint and for a small fee had official coins hammered from it. You could take coins and melt them into a gold ingot as well Cool

AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:04:45 PM

Okay, honestly, I had to read your post a few times, because your questions do seem rather dumb.  But here's the answer.  Bitcoin is revolutionary for basically one reason.  It isn't centrally controlled.  All of the other revolutionary design characteristics of Bitcoin flow from this.  For instance, it is limited in quantity because, in a decentralized currency, no one can set an inflation rate

There is nothing revolutionary about Bitcoin for not being centrally controlled. In the medieval times you would bring a gold (or silver) bullion to the mint and for a small fee had official coins hammered from it. You could take coins and melt them into a gold ingot as well Cool

But you couldn't teleport across the world in 10 minutes.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:05:23 PM

I consider it a badge of great honor. It means I am saying what you don't want the others to know.

My ignores appear to be about 0.001% of the users on this forum. That is hardly a lot. Can't you muster more than that?

Do you really think anymore users on this forum are reading your posts? I'm not ignoring you (not anyone) but I personally skip your posts for the most part because you can't express your thoughts in a lucid and concise manner Roll Eyes

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:09:49 PM

If this remark of yours refers to Bitcoin, there is nothing new or revolutionary in this either... Grin
In any case this is not currency's fault or virtue Cool

AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:27:33 PM

If this remark of yours refers to Bitcoin, there is nothing new or revolutionary in this either... Grin
In any case this is not currency's fault or virtue Cool

Well true on currency's local purpose, although that is starting to change a bit with internet.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:39:37 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 03:54:17 PM by deisik

<Bitcoin> is limited in quantity because, in a decentralized currency, no one can set an inflation rate.  So once all 21 million Bitcoins are mined, there is no inflation

This is also not true for obvious reasons. Inflation is determined not only by the amount of money in circulation but also by the velocity of circulation, i.e. the frequency at which one unit of currency changes hands within a given time period. Increasing the velocity of money would in effect be equal to additional emission of currency into circulation, which can bring about inflation even if the amount of money remains constant. As simple as that... Cool

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: