Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone smart teach me the concept of fiat currency vs. virtual currency?  (Read 3675 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:43:39 PM

Well true on currency's local purpose, although that is starting to change a bit with internet.

In this aspect Bitcoin is not very much different from what you get with Visa or MasterCard... Grin

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:55:58 PM

Well true on currency's local purpose, although that is starting to change a bit with internet.

In this aspect Bitcoin is not very much different from what you get with Visa or MasterCard... Grin

And a lot less hassle too.

BTC currently mainly has a use to do illegal or banned things or just to spend it for the thrill of it. Money transfers are less expensive, but not if you factor the FX losses and price volatility.

Oh one thing is BTC can't be charged back, so that enables some new applications.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:57:42 PM

<Bitcoin> is limited in quantity because, in a decentralized currency, no one can set an inflation rate.  So once all 21 million Bitcoins are mined, there is no inflation

This is also not true for obvious reasons. Inflation is determined not only by the amount of money in circulation but also by the velocity of circulation, i.e. the frequency at which one unit of currency changes hands within a given time period. Increasing the velocity of money would in effect be equal to additional emission of currency into circulation, which can bring about inflation even if the amount of money remains constant. As simple as that... Cool

And don't forget productivity too.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:10:24 PM

This is also not true for obvious reasons. Inflation is determined not only by the amount of money in circulation but also by the velocity of circulation, i.e. the frequency at which one unit of currency changes hands within a given time period. Increasing the velocity of money would in effect be equal to additional emission of currency into circulation, which can bring about inflation even if the amount of money remains constant. As simple as that... Cool

Right, if productivity falls things usually become more expensive because less is done with the same cost (and vice versa). Though this is not strictly a monetary phenomenon and more difficult to grasp... Grin 

AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:40:55 PM

Right, if productivity falls things usually become more expensive because less is done with the same cost (and vice versa). Though this is not strictly a monetary phenomenon and more difficult to grasp... Grin 

It can increase too.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:43:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8

Cheesy

I'm grumpy!!
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:49:29 PM

It can increase too.

As far as I remember, we were talking about forces possibly driving Bitcoin inflation up, not down... Grin

AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:50:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s_dStcpqU#t=50

AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:56:11 PM

It can increase too.

As far as I remember, we were talking about forces possibly driving Bitcoin inflation up, not down... Grin

Productivity of altcoin programmers?

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 06:43:05 PM

We're heading right into particulars! Grin
Personally, I don't think that even increased Bitcoins supply could presently affect its price significantly or in any predictable way. So your question remains a moot point... Cool

AnonyMint

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:14:17 PM

We're heading right into particulars! Grin
Personally, I don't think that even increased Bitcoins supply could presently affect its price significantly or in any predictable way. So your question remains a moot point... Cool

So far...stay tuned Wink

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: