Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:53:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum software  (Read 4268 times)
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 04:08:55 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 04:04:48 AM by theymos

Since it's a separate entity now can we please, please, please move away from this horrible SMF application and get  real forum software?  I'd vote for vBulletin, but I'd be fine with moving to anything that has modern features and conveniences (which means no PHPBB either, but PHPBB would at least be a step up from this software).

SMF is great for a hobbiest site with little traffic and few posts, but it's horrible for a heavy traffic / high post count site.  The lack of management features alone should necessitate the move, but there is so much more available in terms of features out there that sticking with this software is a diservice to everyone.  Not only is it lacking in features, but it looks like something you'd put up on a free webhost for your family pictures.  I'd volunteer to help with the conversion and setup of the new software if that is a problem/concern.

I will kick in a BTC or two for licensing costs if need be and I'm sure others will as well.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bind

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 11:02:07 PM

Since it's a separate entity now can we please, please, please move away from this horrible SMF application and get  real forum software?  I'd vote for vBulletin, but I'd be fine with moving to anything that has modern features and conveniences (which means no PHPBB either, but PHPBB would at least be a step up from this software).

SMF is great for a hobbiest site with little traffic and few posts, but it's horrible for a heavy traffic / high post count site.  The lack of management features alone should necessitate the move, but there is so much more available in terms of features out there that sticking with this software is a diservice to everyone.  Not only is it lacking in features, but it looks like something you'd put up on a free webhost for your family pictures.  I'd volunteer to help with the conversion and setup of the new software if that is a problem/concern.

I will kick in a BTC or two for licensing costs if need be and I'm sure others will as well.

nothing wrong with the current forum software.

▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▐▓▓▓   ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▌       ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌      ▐▓▓▓   ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌       ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌      ▓▓▓▓   ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌       ▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▐▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▐▓▓▓▓██████████▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▌  ▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓  ▐▓▓▓      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   ▓▓▓▌    ▀▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▌        ▓▓▓  ▐▓▓▓              ▐▓▓▓
      ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▌      ▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓  ▐▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       ▓▓▓▌       ▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
.Money Transfer and Investment.
...Instagramhugeb Facebook hugeb Twitter hugeb Youtube ...

█▄                                     ▄▄▌
     ██▄██▄▄                                ▄███▄█
     ▀▀█▄█▄██▌▀▄                       ▄▄█▀█ ▄███▀
     ▐█▄█▀▀█▀██▄█▀▄                 ▄█▀█▄██▐▀▀█▄▄█
       ▀▀█████▀█████▄              ██▌███▀█████▀▀
      ██▀█████████ ██▄▄▄▄██▄▄█▄█▄▄█████▄▄▀█▄█████▀
     ▐████ ▄▄██████▐███▀▀▀████▀▀▀███▄██████▄▄▀████
       ▀ ███▄█████████▐▄▀▀   ▐█▀▐▐██████▀█▄███▀▀▀      ▌
       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▐█▀█▄ ▀  █▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀
          ▄██▐█▀ █▀██▄██▌      ██ ▄█▄▐█ ▀█▐█▄
              ▄█▐ ▀▀▀▐ █ ▌█▀█▌▌▐██ ▀▀ ▀▐█▄
                      ▀▐ █ █▄▄▌▐
                       ▄ ▄██▐█
                    ▄██▌▄  ▄  ▀▄▀██
                     ▄████ ▌███▀██
                       ██▌█▌█▌██▌   
                          ▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
JOIN OUR VISION TODAY
FOR A BETTER WORLD TOMORROW

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
     █   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ██████
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
     █              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
     █  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
     █                      █
     █  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
     █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
     █                      █
     █  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
     █                      █
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 11:10:58 PM

nothing wrong with the current forum software.

Do you mean other than it's antiquated, lacking in features, looks shabby and is slow?  Or something else?

Seriously though, I am glad you are happy with a threadbare forum system that is state of the art 2005, but why do you want to make everyone else suffer through the lack of flexibility compared to modern forum software?  You can still NOT use the advanced features of other forum software if you so choose, but those of us who like to live in the present would like the advanced features of modern software.  We can't do that currently... so having updated, modern software will cater to both parties - your desire to have antiquated tech and our desire to have advanced features.  Your way just caters to the Luddite crowd, why do you want to be so selfish?

Not to mention the administration, plugin and moderation features on modern software would make this forum so much more.  The For Sale section wouldn't be a mess like it is now.  The reputation system would actually function and be useful just to mention two things out of the hundreds.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 11:32:53 PM

SMF's developers pretty much choked the life out of their own project. I'm shocked that they actually managed to make a 2.0 "release" and I would not be surprised if it was just their latest "release candidate" and they'll go back and fix the bugs at the same utterly ridiculously slow pace.

I'd love to switch to vBulletin. If this were my forum and I had the license, I would have already done it.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Houdini

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 11:38:21 PM

Do you mean other than it's antiquated, lacking in features, looks shabby and is slow?  Or something else?
I actually don't mind any of those except the slowness, it's killing me ! I waited 3 minutes for one refresh today ! Most of the time it's 10-30 seconds, that's horrible !
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 12:32:40 AM

do you guys have any idea how much trouble it would be to transfer? the site would be down for days. and who cares about features, what else do you need besides text and images and such. although it being faster would always be nice.

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:15:47 AM

do you guys have any idea how much trouble it would be to transfer? the site would be down for days. and who cares about features, what else do you need besides text and images and such. although it being faster would always be nice.

Yes, I know exactly how much trouble it would be to transfer, since I've done it more than thirty times over the years.  About 15 clicks of the mouse and zero down time.  Do YOU know how much trouble it would be to transfer?  Impex - > Drop down Select DB -> Input DB credentials -> Click next about 10 times and you are done.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:34:12 AM

Not to mention the administration, plugin and moderation features on modern software would make this forum so much more.  The For Sale section wouldn't be a mess like it is now.  The reputation system would actually function and be useful just to mention two things out of the hundreds.
Tell me about it...

Did you guys know that we have no moderation queue? Every time you click the Report to moderator (Don't stop! Too few people use it already!), an email is blast out to every moderator and it's impossible for us to know if another moderator has already dealt with the post in question, unless the action that was taken was to delete or move the post.

Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 03:25:09 AM

Tell me about it...

Did you guys know that we have no moderation queue? Every time you click the Report to moderator (Don't stop! Too few people use it already!), an email is blast out to every moderator and it's impossible for us to know if another moderator has already dealt with the post in question, unless the action that was taken was to delete or move the post.

I would probably have to kill myself if I had to moderate this forum with this software Smiley  I used to hack in features I needed to early versions of vBulletin and UBB... at least there is ready made stuff now.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12977

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:34:49 AM

I like this layout. I very much dislike the web 2.0 nonsense that all "modern" forum software uses by default. If it has any rounded corners, then I don't want it. Wink

There certainly are many problems:
- I need to create a membergroup that can moderate only certain other membergroups
- I need forum rank to be determined by both time and post count
- Certain membergroups should be exempt from certain bans
- SMF uses MySQL, which sucks
- I need to be able to clone posts
- There should be a report queue, and mods should only be emailed when something gets 2-3 reports
- All limits must be per membergroup
- There needs to be a blacklist of phrases. When you post one of these phrases, you are banned or prevented from posting or allowed to post depending on which membergroup you are in.
- It should be possible to apply certain ban "templates" automatically (IP, user-based, subnet-based, etc.) with a single click
- Users should be sent a PM automatically when they are banned or have a post deleted
- The board should update its list of Tor exit nodes automatically from the Tor directory servers
- There should be a ban appeal system
- Passwords use double-SHA-1, I believe, which is unacceptable
- Animated signatures/avatars and cookie stuffing should be prevented
- It should be possible to ignore users (SMF has a mod for this, but it breaks the forum and I haven't had time to fix it)
- A true web of trust would be nice
- Threading would be nice
- It would be nice to allow access to the forum over NNTP and mailing lists
- I find the code very difficult to deal with, so I can't fix any of these things

Probably no software solves all of these problems, though. If I'm going to have to do a lot of modifications, I'd rather write my own forum software and not deal with a transition. Then I don't have to worry about security, either.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:33:54 AM

Probably no software solves all of these problems, though. If I'm going to have to do a lot of modifications, I'd rather write my own forum software and not deal with a transition.
Just what the world needs, another forum software  Cheesy There are so many forum systems, one of them should be good enough (or at least extensible enough) to do what you want...

Then I don't have to worry about security, either.
You always have to worry about security, also if you write your own code.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:48:09 AM

Since it's a separate entity now can we please, please, please move away from this horrible SMF application and get  real forum software?  I'd vote for vBulletin, but I'd be fine with moving to anything that has modern features and conveniences (which means no PHPBB either, but PHPBB would at least be a step up from this software).

SMF is great for a hobbiest site with little traffic and few posts, but it's horrible for a heavy traffic / high post count site.  The lack of management features alone should necessitate the move, but there is so much more available in terms of features out there that sticking with this software is a diservice to everyone.  Not only is it lacking in features, but it looks like something you'd put up on a free webhost for your family pictures.  I'd volunteer to help with the conversion and setup of the new software if that is a problem/concern.

SMF OWNS.

Check out my forum and tell me if you like the features Smiley.

tweetforum.com
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:02:49 AM

Since it's a separate entity now can we please, please, please move away from this horrible SMF application and get  real forum software?  I'd vote for vBulletin, but I'd be fine with moving to anything that has modern features and conveniences (which means no PHPBB either, but PHPBB would at least be a step up from this software).

The last time I had to evaluate forum software, I think phpBB was actually a step down from SMF Cheesy

SMF is great for a hobbiest site with little traffic and few posts, but it's horrible for a heavy traffic / high post count site. 

I can't be sure since it's been like 3 years or so since I last admin a SMF forum, but I vaguely remember it had to do with the choice of using MyISAM as the db engine. Switching to innodb made things a lot faster.

The lack of
management features alone should necessitate the move, but there is so much more available in terms of features out there that sticking with this software is a diservice to everyone.  Not only is it lacking in features, but it looks like something you'd put up on a free webhost for your family pictures.  I'd volunteer to help with the conversion and setup of the new software if that is a problem/concern.

It's because the forum's using the default skin I think.
laydum

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:55:28 AM

The forums should be upgraded to vBulletin. I'm sure devs can afford the $195 fee  Undecided
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:43:38 AM

I'm sure SMF could have more features but I say we stick with what is working at the current point in time. If the OP is suggesting some features that is a must such as a reputation system with some encrypted authentication method for signing then maybe its time to upgrade if I knew of such open source software. Besides that I think its hard enough for new commers to get use to bitcoin let alone fancy widgets to get when they need help in the forums.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 07:02:08 PM

Glad we got right on this, before we were hacked.

Oh wait...

Aaaaand we are still using SMF.  WTG!

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:50:47 PM

Oh wait...

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45372.0
Bind

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:53:13 PM

https://www.vbulletin.com/

▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▐▓▓▓   ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▌       ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌      ▐▓▓▓   ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌       ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌      ▓▓▓▓   ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌       ▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▐▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▐▓▓▓▓██████████▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▌  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▌  ▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓  ▐▓▓▓      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   ▓▓▓▌    ▀▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▌        ▓▓▓  ▐▓▓▓              ▐▓▓▓
      ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▓▓▌      ▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓  ▐▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       ▓▓▓▌       ▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   ▐▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
.Money Transfer and Investment.
...Instagramhugeb Facebook hugeb Twitter hugeb Youtube ...

█▄                                     ▄▄▌
     ██▄██▄▄                                ▄███▄█
     ▀▀█▄█▄██▌▀▄                       ▄▄█▀█ ▄███▀
     ▐█▄█▀▀█▀██▄█▀▄                 ▄█▀█▄██▐▀▀█▄▄█
       ▀▀█████▀█████▄              ██▌███▀█████▀▀
      ██▀█████████ ██▄▄▄▄██▄▄█▄█▄▄█████▄▄▀█▄█████▀
     ▐████ ▄▄██████▐███▀▀▀████▀▀▀███▄██████▄▄▀████
       ▀ ███▄█████████▐▄▀▀   ▐█▀▐▐██████▀█▄███▀▀▀      ▌
       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▐█▀█▄ ▀  █▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀
          ▄██▐█▀ █▀██▄██▌      ██ ▄█▄▐█ ▀█▐█▄
              ▄█▐ ▀▀▀▐ █ ▌█▀█▌▌▐██ ▀▀ ▀▐█▄
                      ▀▐ █ █▄▄▌▐
                       ▄ ▄██▐█
                    ▄██▌▄  ▄  ▀▄▀██
                     ▄████ ▌███▀██
                       ██▌█▌█▌██▌   
                          ▀▀▀
JOIN OUR VISION TODAY
FOR A BETTER WORLD TOMORROW

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
     █   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ██████
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
     █  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
     █              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
     █  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
     █                      █
     █  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
     █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
     █                      █
     █  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
     █                      █
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 07:57:31 PM

Oh wait...

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45372.0

Yes, a useless self-masturbatory thread about the perfect forum chimera that will never exist.  So we will hover in limbo with shit ass forum software full of bugs, lacking features and riddled with security issues while we wait for a mythical forum beast to appear.

Right...

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:26:16 PM

BitcoinsForums.net Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: