Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:18:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Malicious attack blocked when trying to access this forum?  (Read 1125 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:05:00 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 04:23:04 PM by BittBurger

When I try any web browser on my computer, I get a dead page for this forum, and Malbytes anti-malware gives me a pop up saying that it blocked a malicious attack from IP 109.201.133.195

No such problems on iPhone or iPad.

This has been happening since yesterday morning. I went into the Bitcoin chat room and several others are having the same problem. Yet I see nobody mentioning, or talking about it.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
roadsterreplica

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:07:37 PM

Could be many things.

I suspect it may be more on your end than on this end - some software on your end is trying to keylog your bitcoin forum password.
Grix

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 04:13:33 PM

This happened to me too. But not just Malwarebytes. I bypassed malwarebytes' block, and after browsing this forum for around a minute, Avast also notified me that a virus had just been blocked. It came from a different domain. I think this might be the real deal, bitcointalk may be injected with malicious code.

Here's a little report: http://www.avast.com/lp-fr-virus-alert?p_ext=&utm_campaign=Virus_alert&utm_source=prg_fav_80_0&utm_medium=prg_systray&utm_content=.%2Ffa%2Fno-no%2Fvirus-alert-default&p_vir=URL:Mal&p_prc=C:\Program%20Files%20%28x86%29\Aurora\firefox.exe&p_obj=http://imageupload.co.uk/files/za1z84jpkvd9uo18uoed.jpg&p_var=.%2Ffa%2Fno-no%2Fvirus-alert-default&p_elm=7&p_lex=302&p_lid=no-no&p_lng=nb&p_lqa=0&p_lqe=0&p_lst=0&p_lsu=24&p_pro=0&p_bld=empty&p_vep=8&p_ves=0&p_vbd=1497&p_hid=7001976d-9a1d-4dcb-a912-99d939f654b0

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:19:55 PM

Yeah, it's definitely not just me…

BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 04:21:13 PM

Not surprising. Bitcoin is huge target for hackers at the moment now that the price is up.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:37:14 PM

Just to clarify, I haven't clicked anything, downloaded anything, or run anything from any emails. I'm very aware of that kind of stuff. The website just went dead yesterday. I'm not thinking this is on my end, but I guess it's possible. If that's the case, it's already on many people's computers.

BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:39:03 PM

Grix

That link doesn't work.

At least not on my iPhone.

BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

I've just scanned bitcointalk.org

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/ - Clean

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/7354af8427d7b8d4236356d0bca680ad3186fce415cb51971f3793cee59e4291/analysis/1385144339/ - Clean

However, I found that hpHosts is currently listing bitcointalk.org - i.e. 'Malwarebytes'.

See: http://hosts-file.net/?s=bitcointalk.org this is probably an error and the admin. should contact 'Request removal' for more info.

Not 100% sure how ads are being served here, but it might be to do with temporarily hijacked 3rd party content and/or in relation to linked content.

This report, I suspect is actually a 'false positive'.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:53:56 PM

Solution?  I was about to wipe my computer.

BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:03:03 PM

Solution?  I was about to wipe my computer.

I don't see a reason to do a re-install at present.

Malwarebytes is just being over sensitive, when you pay for an anti-malware solution, they have a legal obligation to 'protect' you.

Sometimes these companies get things wrong, because they must protect their customers. Lets also say that they can sometimes have other interests as well.

There might be a genuine problem, but at present I can't find anything or it might of been removed already, but I'm not an admin. wth server access either.

Looks like a 'false alarm' to me though.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:06:20 PM

Not 100% sure how ads are being served here, but it might be to do with temporarily hijacked 3rd party content and/or in relation to linked content.

AFAIK ads are only html styled with css. No images or scripts.
Grix

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:11:55 PM

Grix

That link doesn't work.

Well, here's what it says basically:

Code:
Infection Blocked
URL: http://imageupload.co.uk/files/za1z84jpkvd9uo18uoed....
Infection: URL:Mal

Solution?  I was about to wipe my computer.

Malwarebytes is just being over sensitive, when you pay for a anti-malware solution, they have a legal obligation to 'protect' you.

Sometimes these companies get things wrong, because they must protect their customers. Lets also say that they can sometimes have other interests as well.

There might be a genuine problem, but at present I can't find anything or it might of been removed already, but I'm not an admin. wth server access either.

Pretty far fetched that two independent antimalware programs simultaneously gives a false positive, isn't it?

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM

Grix

That link doesn't work.

Well, here's what it says basically:

Code:
Infection Blocked
URL: http://imageupload.co.uk/files/za1z84jpkvd9uo18uoed....
Infection: URL:Mal

Solution?  I was about to wipe my computer.

Malwarebytes is just being over sensitive, when you pay for a anti-malware solution, they have a legal obligation to 'protect' you.

Pretty far fetched that two independent antimalware programs simultaneously gives a false positive, isn't it?

Nope. Not really. The link (URL) you have reported from your software indicates a 3rd party upload site probably used by someome for a link on the forum that was / is in just one thread as a download etc.

That's enough to get bitcointalk.org temporarily and incorrectly listed.

BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:47:46 PM

Why does it repeatedly say it's currently blocking a malicious attack from an IP address? The IP address is located in the Netherlands. Seems like if it just put a site on a blacklist, it would say "this site is blocked". It wouldn't say it just blocked a malicious attack from a website. 

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:24:08 PM

See: http://hosts-file.net/?s=bitcointalk.org this is probably an error and the admin. should contact 'Request removal' for more info.

They've listed the forum for a long time AFAIK. See here. Maybe they only just updated the IP address.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:17:26 PM

Is the above IP address the IP address of this website?

It looks like a couple of people reported this on their support forums. And they've reported that they are looking into it right now.

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 12:51:23 AM

*Jacob Colagrossi, Nov 21 01:21 pm (PST):*

Hello dexx and welcome to the Malwarebytes product support. Thank you
for choosing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as your anti-malware security
solution, my name is Jacob Colagrossi and I'll be assisting you today.

I will contact our research team to see about the block of this IP
address. I will follow up with you once I hear word back from them.

Thank you.

dexx, Nov 21 08:29 pm (PST):

Hi Jacob,

thanks for the fast response. Looking forward for more.

Jacob Colagrossi, Nov 26 03:55 pm (PST):

Hi dexx,

I have been informed that this IP address has been unblocked in the recent database updates.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

dexx, Nov 26 03:58 pm (PST):

Hi Jacob,

thanks for the notice! Did you get any information what was causing the
block in the first place?

Jacob Colagrossi, Nov 26 04:05 pm (PST):

Hi Dexx,

I have no solid information but from what I read in forum posts this site is under frequent attack from outside sources. It may have been added to the block list during an instance of attack.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: