Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:26:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: sold at $600. what to do?  (Read 7389 times)
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:38:49 PM

i freaked out and sold a large portion of my coins around $600, suspecting the price would continue to oscillate between $400-700 for a couple weeks... (i know)

do I

A) wait it out hoping for a better price to get back in
B) take a loss and buy back in at $750
C) ??

thanks guys

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:40:36 PM

I suspect that BTC is going to crash again sometime in the near future, but have no idea if its going to be lower than $600. I imagine that it will, but who knows these days.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:44:39 PM

i freaked out and sold a large portion of my coins around $600, suspecting the price would continue to oscillate between $400-700 for a couple weeks... (i know)

do I

C) ??

thanks guys

Buy back everything and have some fresh fiat ready in case it flash-crashes so you can make up the loss by buying more.

Just sell little by little in the future. Selling BTC is risky in itself - selling a large portion of one's stash is just reckless unless you've made so much profit you'll never need to worry about money ever again.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 04:46:11 PM

If big queen topped out at $750 for the next few months and you got $600 not done badly.  It is very hard to call a top in a wildly fluctuating market like Bitcoin.

If you think big coin is going to continue to rise you should try to buy coins back at one of the sites that is undervalued. Camp BX and BTC – E can fluctuate by $100 in one day.  You may be to get those coins back pretty much for what you sold them at for a little while at least.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:46:37 PM

1. Never sell everything at once.
2. Never buy all at once.

Since you've already violated 1, take your USD and divide it into 20 or so chunks.  Then, buy the same amount of USD worth in BTC every day until you are back in.  If prices dips, you will get a good average price.  If price rises, you won't get as many BTC, but you will at least get some.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:46:45 PM

I am going to quote another user on this board. "Buying now is like fucking hooker without condom."  Wink Tomorrow Bitcoin can be worth 1500 or 250, you´d be gambling.

Seasoned users like Chodpaba or Rpiteila already stated, that growth of bitcoin recently passed exponential curve, hell right now, market swallows 2,5 million dollars daily just to keep itself from deflating. I´d wait for the crash.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:47:50 PM

You can either:

1) Buy back right now at a ~20% loss, but roughly have your original position intact (just slightly reduced) or

2) Wait it out and risk that the price then rises and never returns causing you to lose out on the multi-year ramp up. If the price drops you can get your original position with no loss, but if the price rises you've lost out on the early adopter benefits

The choice is yours
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 04:49:02 PM

do what i do.

wait.

if you get run over by the market

be rich!

Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:49:23 PM

C) Join the Bears club lead by Blitz and spread BS to scare the noobs....... Also pretend to use TA so they think you're pro trader. And crash is always coming. Say something like .... "i expect under $400 soon"  or " we're not gonna see $600 untill 2015". Oh and just ignore anyone says otherwise.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 04:52:24 PM

C) Join the Bears club lead by Blitz and spread BS to scare the noobs....... Also pretend to use TA so they think you're pro trader. And crash is always coming. Say something like .... "i expect under $400 soon"  or " we're not gonna see $600 untill 2015". Oh and just ignore anyone says otherwise.

LOL
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:58:22 PM

LOL

There are tons of "pro traders" who turn into bears because they "cashed out" at 200s, then 300s, then 400s....They either left .... then come back to a correction or flash crash and chant " crash crash, bubble pop" or  never come back. Samson, where art thou?

You get the idea.

ps, when anyone ask, they will say " hell yeah, my strategy works out better than buy and hold. I'm pro so..."

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 05:00:06 PM

LOL

There are tons of "pro traders" who turn into bears because they "cashed out" at 200s, then 300s, then 400s....They either left .... then come back to a correction or flash crash and chant " crash crash, bubble pop" or  never come back. Samson, where art thou?

You get the idea.

ps, when anyone ask, they will say " hell yeah, my strategy works out better than buy and hold. I'm pro so..."

Yeah, and it is REALLY HARD to beat the "buy & hold" strategy. I mean seriously, if you aren't satisfied with 1000% growth per year, there's little in life that will make you happy Smiley
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:01:25 PM

It will go up, then down, then back up.... wash, rinse repeat.  If you follow the heard, you are going to get slaughtered.  

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:06:30 PM

Curse your own cowardice/stupidity/lack of understanding/foresight, then buy as much as you can afford. Not afford to lose, but actually afford and still pay the rent and food.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:09:11 PM

I think it will see low $500s (gox price) in the near future. Of course, predictions may never come to fruition.

Since you've already violated 1, take your USD and divide it into 20 or so chunks.  Then, buy the same amount of USD worth in BTC every day until you are back in.  If prices dips, you will get a good average price.  If price rises, you won't get as many BTC, but you will at least get some.

A very good strategy actually.

I would do something similar - break my money into 3-4 parts. Buy some now, put some at the break even price and keep a few far below. Once you have done that, be patient and don't tinker. It may take even months for the price to come down. If it doesn't, well, the few you ended up buying will be worth a lot more.

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:14:56 PM

I think it will see low $500s (gox price) in the near future. Of course, predictions may never come to fruition.

A very good strategy actually.

I would do something similar - break my money into 3-4 parts. Buy some now, put some at the break even price and keep a few far below. Once you have done that, be patient and don't tinker. It may take even months for the price to come down. If it doesn't, well, the few you ended up buying will be worth a lot more.
It may be that the price never comes down as low as you want it to go - and that if it does, you will chicken out thinking the whole thing is falling apart. Buy & hold.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
GhanaGamboy

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

Dadice Fixed Rate.

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:22:03 PM

Wait and see. You can decide later, but corrections are necessary on the way up so still good chance you rebuy lower
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:27:23 PM

LOL

You get the idea.

Yeah, and it is REALLY HARD to beat the "buy & hold" strategy. I mean seriously, if you aren't satisfied with 1000% growth per year, there's little in life that will make you happy Smiley

This!!!
raskolnikovx

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:31:26 PM

I sold 20% of my BTCs yesterday at 680 USD in BTCe. Now is 688 and going up but I will wait for it.
I think it will crash again and I will be able to buy cheaper on BTCe, then move to Bitstamp and resell.
We will see ...
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:34:19 PM

do I

C) ??

thanks guys

Where do you think bitcoin will be in 2 years?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: