Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:26:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Google have Bitcoin by the balls?  (Read 3317 times)
BitTrade (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:54:11 PM

We all know that Apple has been hostile toward accepting bitcoin-related apps for use on their devices.  Last week, they gave Coinbase the axe.

But what would be the ramifications if Google also followed suit?  This would essentially be the end of mobile phone wallets, requiring people to use hardware like the Trezor or paper wallets if they wanted carry their coins around with them.  This would be a huge blow to the bitcoin economy, IMO.  Surely mobile phone wallets are probably the preferred storage method for people wanting to make in-person bitcoin payments...  Does anyone know what percentage of Bitcoin users rely on mobile phone wallets? 

Does google have Bitcoin by the balls? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:56:15 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 11:07:18 PM by Kluge

Allow third-party apps to run in Android, download app to phone from website, install app. Problem solved.

ETA: I actually normally do this because Google Play is unreliable whenever I've used it (waits what seems like a completely random time to actually download the app, between immediately and 30m in some cases). It's much faster for me to grab the .apk off a site.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:59:50 PM

I wouldn't let any of my bitcoins touch my phone with a 40 foot pole, I imagine there are plenty like me too. At this point are situations when you would actually need access to bitcoins on your phone while on the go not clearly in the minority? If so, that kind of answers your question right?

Plus what Kludge already mentioned...

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:06:51 PM

Allow third-party apps to run in Android, download app to phone from website, install app. Problem solved.

This^, jailbreak, and other mobile OS.

corebob

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:14:57 PM

I was hoping for this thing to get some more attention
http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

That said, nobody should be trusted when it comes to cryptography. Nobody.
Independent peer reviews of open source is the only thing I would trust.

You should also be aware that mobile phones are dirty by design
http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/The_second_operating_system_hiding_in_every_mobile_phone
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:18:56 PM

I won't let my coins touch windows
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:30:38 PM

So what OS do you use? Mac?

mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 11:30:48 PM

I have a local wallet with a few mBTC on my phone.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2068

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:36:18 PM

What blow? I never use a mobile wallet or any other kind of Bitcoin apps in my smartphone.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:35:36 AM

We need a 100% open source phone that's repairable with standard case and screen sizes.
BitTrade (OP)

Activity: 173

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:38:05 AM

What blow? I never use a mobile wallet or any other kind of Bitcoin apps in my smartphone.

Have you ever spent coins in real life?  How exactly would you plan on paying for groceries with BTC?
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:41:07 AM

We need a 100% open source phone that's repairable with standard case and screen sizes.

easy there buddy

plenty of room for you in Guantanamo

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:16:07 AM

This?

https://phonebloks.com/

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:19:18 AM

This?

I don't think so, read the reddit thread and the hackaday writeup, that particular implementation is doomed IMO

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:21:57 AM

I wouldn't let any of my bitcoins touch my phone with a 40 foot pole, I imagine there are plenty like me too. At this point are situations when you would actually need access to bitcoins on your phone while on the go not clearly in the minority? If so, that kind of answers your question right?

Plus what Kludge already mentioned...

i wouldn't either. smartphones are easily lost and people eye them as targets to steal. the "convenience" is not worth it.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:26:49 AM

This?

Thanks for the link!
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:10:31 AM

+1 Ok I do admit to backing up my wallet.dat encrypted and then encrypted again with Truecrypt on a Windows 3.1 computer (Pentium I) and also on a 286 running MS DOS

Now seriously DRM infected/locked devices and yes this includes an Android device that is not rooted do pose a very serious threat to Bitcoin. The only solutions for mobile I can see is a rooted Android device or a device running an Operating System that has GPL v3 code deep in the OS that it is impossible to use a locked bootloader without violating the copyright license. Ubuntu phone/mobile is the most promising here. The trouble with Android that is not rooted is that manufacturer can at any time disable the option of installing outside the Android market since they and not the owner control root.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:27:27 AM

+1 Ok I do admit to backing up my wallet.dat encrypted and then encrypted again with Truecrypt on a Windows 3.1 computer (Pentium I) and also on a 286 running MS DOS

Now seriously DRM infected/locked devices and yes this includes an Android device that is not rooted do pose a very serious threat to Bitcoin. The only solutions for mobile I can see is a rooted Android device or a device running an Operating System that has GPL v3 code deep in the OS that it is impossible to use a locked bootloader without violating the copyright license. Ubuntu phone/mobile is the most promising here. The trouble with Android that is not rooted is that manufacturer can at any time disable the option of installing outside the Android market since they and not the owner control root.
Do any companies actually prohibit installing software outside the buggy Play store? (asked in earnest -- I honestly have no idea)
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:30:37 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about Google Wallet.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Arksun

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:51:24 AM

We all know that Apple has been hostile toward accepting bitcoin-related apps for use on their devices.  Last week, they gave Coinbase the axe.

The Blockchain app on iOS still works really well, no axing going on there Smiley

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀

▀█▄▄  ▀▀█▄▄█▀▀   ▄▄█
 ▀▀███▄▄     ▄▄██▀██
     ▀███   ██▀  ▄█
██     ██  ██ ▄██▀██
▀██    ██  ███▀  ▄██
 ▀███▄▄██  ██ ▄███▀
    ▀▀███  ▀██▀▀
Just.Bet 

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
DICE
LOTTERY
PLINKO
COIN FLIP
CRASH
WHEEL
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
        ███████       ▄▄██▄
                  ▄▄███▀▀██▄
      ██████   ▄███████▄▄███▄
               ▀██  █████████▄
                ▀█████████▀▀██▄
████████████     ▀███▀▀███▄▄██▀
██  ████  ██      ▀██▄▄███▀▀
█████▀▀█████  ██   ▀██▀▀
█████▄▄█████
██  ████  ██   ██████
████████████
DECENTRALIZED
PROVABLY FAIR
ON CHAIN GAMES
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
[/center]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: