Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:03:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock market crash - 5 % overall  (Read 4175 times)
fastandfurious (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:06:05 PM

The big indices in US are down around 5 % at closing. What kind of impact do you guys think this have on the bitcoin economy (if we think that the turmoil continues)?
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ampkZjWDQcqT

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:12:35 PM

None.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
indio007

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:18:01 PM

Profit taking + panic = selloff

Sounds oddly familiar to something ..........
indicasteve

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 08:25:43 PM

Meh...just went to the beerstore and beer is still the same price.  No effect here.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:31:33 PM

wooo baby, nothing like the smell of a little panic and fear at the end of the day.

sure glad I doubled down on SDS a few weeks ago with the impending debt talks about 2nd quarter GDP.

Just wait until the chain of European defaults starts.....
finnthecelt

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:33:18 PM

I'm more curious to see what happens when the global fiat train wreck compiles at the bottom of the cliff.

That will be the real test for BTC.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:34:12 PM

The big indices in US are down around 5 % at closing. What kind of impact do you guys think this have on the bitcoin economy (if we think that the turmoil continues)?

Impact could be on individuals who are long stocks. If they get wiped out / lost a lot of money in the stock market, and have a lot of BTC, they may sell some BTC to get back some cash.
But I doubt that so many BTC holders are also big Stock holders.

evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:26:34 PM

Impact could be on individuals who are long stocks. If they get wiped out / lost a lot of money in the stock market, and have a lot of BTC, they may sell some BTC to get back some cash.
But I doubt that so many BTC holders are also big Stock holders.

i fall into this category.....stocks are my major investment, and im definately long (buy and hold Smiley ). right now my positions are up 1% for the year...saw a lot of profit disappear this week   

BTC is more speculation for me (though i have no intention of cashing out anytime soon) and ive only invested a small amount due to risk....
HappyFunnyFoo

Activity: 125

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:00:56 PM

I'm super long stocks and have 95% of my assets in them.  I've more than doubled my initial investment since I started buying in Feb/March 2009 (held cash until the Citigroup memo leak that started the rally).

Bitcoin gains are like taking steroids - you might double or triple your size, but in the end you'll end up with nothing and disappointment.  Stock market gains are, well, awesome, and buying during historically 'bad' times for the market yields an average of 10%/year in return, even if you just randomly buy companies.  Anyone putting more than a couple of bucks in a technology which is in early beta and based upon encryption that's going to be obsolete in four years is nuts.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:16:02 PM

I'm super long stocks and have 95% of my assets in them.  I've more than doubled my initial investment since I started buying in Feb/March 2009 (held cash until the Citigroup memo leak that started the rally).

Bitcoin gains are like taking steroids - you might double or triple your size, but in the end you'll end up with nothing and disappointment.  Stock market gains are, well, awesome, and buying during historically 'bad' times for the market yields an average of 10%/year in return, even if you just randomly buy companies.  Anyone putting more than a couple of bucks in a technology which is in early beta and based upon encryption that's going to be obsolete in four years is nuts.
Agreed
I love FUD too
The sky is falling SELL SELL SELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!11!!!!11!

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:55:50 PM

Anyone putting more than a couple of bucks in a technology which is in early beta and based upon encryption that's going to be obsolete in four years is nuts.
You're a liar.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths#Quantum_computers_would_break_Bitcoin.27s_security
Bitcoins security mechanism can be upgraded at any time... It is SHA 256 at the moment because that is current industry standard.
lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:00:21 AM

LOL @ anyone long stocks. You better pray for inflation, in which case your money would be better in PMs anyway. I agree it is silly to think of bitcoins as they currently stand as a good store of value, but if ppl want to think of them as a high risk high reward investment that's fine.

You do realize the entire global economy is on the verge of another large tailspin right (by which of course I mean we never actually left the first one, only ignored it for a bit). The longer you delay the inevitable, the more violent the contraction.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:03:29 AM

LOL @ anyone long stocks. You better pray for inflation, in which case your money would be better in PMs anyway. I agree it is silly to think of bitcoins as they currently stand as a good store of value, but if ppl want to think of them as a high risk high reward investment that's fine.

You do realize the entire global economy is on the verge of another large tailspin right (by which of course I mean we never actually left the first one, only ignored it for a bit). The longer you delay the inevitable, the more violent the contraction.

I feel the same.  Stocks are the last thing I'd be in, long. 
cypherdoc
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:10:42 AM

Dow 4000 here we come.
indio007

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:28:05 AM

Bank of New York Mellon is charging to deposit money in an account.....

T-Bill's are paying ZERO interest....

Mutual Funds have the lowest cash on hand since .... ever....

Yesterday's Bitcoin panic was a blip compared to what is happening in other markets....

Viva la Bitcoin!

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:34:39 AM

Bank of New York Mellon is charging to deposit money in an account.....

how rapacious is that?
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:42:21 PM

Been waiting for this POMO-Fattened market to roll over. We're getting some dip-buying early today, but it looks like the erosion will continue towards the close. Woe to anyone thinking equities is a 'safe' haven.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 03:42:28 PM

Meh...just went to the beerstore and beer is still the same price.  No effect here.

For the first time, yesterday, I saw the new sized Folger's Coffee tubs. I first thought there was a sale till I reached for it. And I was only joking the other day when I posted about the individual ketchup packages soon to be priced the same as the old 12(16)oz GLASS bottled Hunts.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:04:39 PM

looks like to me they're trying to take down gold and silver...
finnthecelt

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:08:26 PM

Taken a look at the Dow:gold ratio over the last 10 years? You think you're making money? lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: