Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:32:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MyBitcoin Back Up! (with a press release)  (Read 12287 times)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 04:30:34 AM

We will settle all accounts with a online claim process that we are currently in the process of working out.

So he's now he has the money to pay everyone back?

where did it all come from?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:30:50 AM

Almost thought this thread was deleted was its a sticky now.  If I wouldn't have seen this thread earlier, I would have missed it cause I just move down past the sticky's and dont read them.  oh well.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:30:58 AM

Saying "I don't know" is way better than staying silent; still not as good as if he knew what happened from the start and shared it with us of course.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:31:32 AM

Tom is buying Bitcoins en mass to reimburse customers?  BTFD
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:32:39 AM

Buying time?

he just said he's declaring bankruptcy....   there is no figure on what people will get back... if anything...  maybe 10% back... maybe 50% back... maybe 0% back..

If he's declaring bankruptcy that means that it was a huge loss.

He said receivership.  Sometimes when receivers are appointed the business continues to operate and can trade out of financial trouble.  Sometimes receivership is the first step towards completely winding up the business.  The only thing which is certain is that it's almost impossible to enforce a claim against a Nevis LLC, so it probably doesn't matter very much what the balance sheet shows.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:34:38 AM

Has Bruce Wagner seen this?

Edit:  Yep.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 04:35:14 AM

this means nothing..

so he going to declaring bankruptcy.

and then sell the stolen bitcoins!

Departure

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:37:06 AM

The site is still down for me Sad
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:38:05 AM

We will settle all accounts with a online claim process that we are currently in the process of working out.

To put it simply (and it might differ slightly depending on the country), when a company goes down, its remaining assets are totaled up and used to pay off creditors (in this case including customers with deposits) in order of priority, i.e. a secured creditor gets their share first. If there are more than one in each priority class, it's proportioned out accordingly. Very often the smallest guys without any security/contract get nothing or just pennies.

So depending on how much MBC has left, every 1 BTC you kept with them, might only get you say 0.1 BTC back.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:41:10 AM

To put it simply (and it might differ slightly depending on the country), when a company goes down, its remaining assets are totaled up and used to pay off creditors (in this case including customers with deposits) in order of priority, i.e. a secured creditor gets their share first. If there are more than one in each priority class, it's proportioned out accordingly. Very often the smallest guys without any security/contract get nothing or just pennies.

So depending on how much MBC has left, every 1 BTC you kept with them, might only get you say 0.1 BTC back.

Well, almost as importantly we can hopefully get more info on the mybitcoin owner now that he's appeared back on the scene, and maybe we can find out whether the bitcoins or some portion of them are lost, stolen, or safe.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:44:08 AM

this means nothing..

so he going to declaring bankruptcy.

and then sell the stolen bitcoins!

Assuming that he's doing the whole thing legally, the receiver will take control of assets, liquidate them, and then distribute them among creditors according to a set formula.  What might be difficult given the anonymous nature of Bitcoin transactions is people establishing that they had Bitcioins on deposit with Mybitcoin.  Claims usually have to be made in a specific way and within a set timeframe to be included in any distribution.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:45:20 AM

Well, almost as importantly we can hopefully get more info on the mybitcoin owner now that he's appeared back on the scene, and maybe we can find out whether the bitcoins or some portion of them are lost, stolen, or safe.

Man if that's the case i'd take the 2500 BTC that Bruce will be getting back.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:46:48 AM

Why not install just a html index page and explain what happened a week ago?  

This is what makes it all sound dubious. Even if they have to take down all the servers for forensic investigation, it shouldn't had been difficult to throw Linux on a old PC lying around and just serve up a static page.

OR for that matter, have somebody come into the forums and inform everybody that servers are offline and services are suspended pending investigation.
Peter-Jan Celis (BitFlow)

Activity: 20

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 04:47:05 AM

Hopefully MBC has the decency of hiring a reputable firm to handle the receivership.

Being offshore that's the only realistic way I can think of for users to have some faith that they received the maximum amount of btc possible in liquidation.

Of course transaction logs of the theft are also a must.

joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:47:14 AM

He's a bit late with his note to the community. I'm sure he didnt want to, but his silence for a week was unconscionable.

mooo for rent
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:50:48 AM

Maybe once he saw the posts about a bounty on his head, he got a little antsy.  These geeks are some great detectives.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 05:02:15 AM

Why do you guys believe a single thing "Tom Williams" says?

I don't have any evidence either way,  but from looking at the whole picture,  I don't believe one word of it.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 05:09:40 AM

Maybe once he saw the posts about a bounty on his head, he got a little antsy.  These geeks are some great detectives.
this wasn't clear... the bounty will be on the hacker of my bitcoin .. maybe thats Tom Williams him self, and maybe not ..

the hacker may have boosted to some friends. one of these friend  (or friends of friends) could be able to tell us who the hacker is. with a bounty out on his head it gives poeple intensive to come forward.

and maybe we'll get the bitcoin back!

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 05:10:15 AM

If you are going to posit that theory you might as well also float somewhat the opposite:

Upon seeing that Luigi, Kneecapper, Throatcut, Sniper, and DaBossMan had all lost huge numbers of bitcoins by using his shopping interface on their MurderIncorporated.i2p site he seriously considered trying to vanish, until after days of valium and perusing the forum he woke up to the idea that maybe somehow the geek squad maybe even with or without the aid of Agent Andersen of the - oops I mean *not* of the - CIA might somehow be able to keep DaBossMan and his goons at bay...

-MarkM- (What, that could be fiction? Gosh, really? However do you come up with that idea?)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 05:16:26 AM

Thursday, August 4th, 2011

On Friday of last week we noticed that one of our pooled holding servers was missing a large amount of Bitcoins.

Did people say most of the coins haven't been moved?... If this happens to me, my first reaction would be moving all remaining coins into a new wallet.

I won't believe this until he provides transaction details.

That's my take. Keep an eye on the blockexplorer.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: