Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:53:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A perspective on just how rare it is to own 0.1 BTC:  (Read 10166 times)
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:01:50 PM

I think we need to rename btc with another smaller units
It can be confusing to deal with smaller amount of btc

I completely agree. The code already provides for other kinds of displays. I think that milli (milliB? mil?) should be the default atm. Correspondingly, all of us need to start talking more about "millis" and less about "bitcoins."

The problem, IMO, that human beings are not perfectly rational, and that buying "only 0.01" btc has a negative psychological connotation for newcomers.

The same person might not feel bad buying 10, or 1000, milibs or microbs instead.

It's the same reason (in reverse) why stocks split and consolidate, etc.

+1

bitcoin is a very abstract concept for beginners. putting in "real" money into something abstract is hard all by itself. putting in "real" money to purchase JUST A FRACTION of something abstract is asking way too much for the usual guy.

mbtc is a matter of life or death for bitcoin. if the bitcoin community does not switch, it will fade away.

millibitcoin is the answer.

The answer so far seems to be litecoin and even the crappiest of the altcoins.
As for the abstract nature of bitcoin which is not abstrast just different in the way you possess your coins, things will change with the introduction of reliable services. I mean people that use coinbase don't have anything weird to think about right?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:09:20 PM

On the other hand, we have only ~1,150 bitcoiners, whose stash is worth more than a million USD.

New figures just came out Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:36:32 PM

On the other hand, we have only ~1,150 bitcoiners, whose stash is worth more than a million USD.

Wow, this number is a shocker.  I had no idea that bitcoins were THAT WELL distributed.  Id have thought maybe 20-30 bitcoin millionaires exist.  ALMOST 1K???  That's pretty huge.  How is this not making news?  Does anyone have a number of total millionaires in the world as of 2013?  Would be interesting to see what % of all the world's millionaires are bitcoin millionaires.  Might be a surprising number.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:53:49 PM

Oh... that is even more disappointing... the number of Bitcoin millionaires dip to ~927.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:56:31 PM

Wow, this number is a shocker.  I had no idea that bitcoins were THAT WELL distributed.  Id have thought maybe 20-30 bitcoin millionaires exist.  ALMOST 1K???  That's pretty huge.  How is this not making news?  Does anyone have a number of total millionaires in the world as of 2013?  Would be interesting to see what % of all the world's millionaires are bitcoin millionaires.  Might be a surprising number.

Hmm... As of 2013, there are somewhere around 12,000,000 millionaires in the world.

Altogether, the millionaires are worth some $46.2 trillion.

Of this number, only 0.00773% are Bitcoin millionaires.   Grin
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:41:07 PM

It's not because bitcoin is well distributed. It's because the bitcoin price is through the roof atm so even if you hold a little you can still be millionaire. Good pr buzz though i think we should exploit that fact  Tongue
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 07:57:13 PM

Oh... that is even more disappointing... the number of Bitcoin millionaires dip to ~927.

Don't worry, it will fluctuate by hundreds just whether it is daily high or low, and whether it's Gox or Stamp price Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 09:17:29 PM

927 might be a high or low number.

That stat is 927 wallets have 1mil plus of value.

I could imagine that several wallets belong to the same person, and also many people whom are 1mil plus have multiple wallets which add up to the value.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:47:42 PM

927 might be a high or low number.

That stat is 927 wallets have 1mil plus of value.

I could imagine that several wallets belong to the same person, and also many people whom are 1mil plus have multiple wallets which add up to the value.

Reading the link helps. It is not based on wallets but multiple sources.

irpirate

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:58:32 PM

Quote from: rpietila
It is so simple that it is ridiculous. How can I be a millionaire by just investing $60. Guess what? My friend had bought 0.5% of all bitcoins existing in 2010 (it cost less than $10k to do it). He told me to do likewise. I said: "Bitcoin is so small I don't care." He said: "When it is big, it just costs more to have the same number of them."

Your friend was wise  Tongue
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:00:39 PM

The same person might not feel bad buying 10, or 1000, milibs or microbs instead.

It's the same reason (in reverse) why stocks split and consolidate, etc.

It 's not bad nor late for bitcoin to follow some traditional investment practices but we have to keep in mind that bitcoin isn't playing by itself anymore. Alts are getting serious.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:48:36 AM

It 's not bad nor late for bitcoin to follow some traditional investment practices but we have to keep in mind that bitcoin isn't playing by itself anymore. Alts are getting serious.

There is also a chance that Paypal / Western Union / Goldman Sachs will come up with an altcoin (and give it good mileage), in order to destroy the Bitcoin. The best way to destroy someone is to work from the inside.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:50:51 AM

There is also a chance that Paypal / Western Union / Goldman Sachs will come up with an altcoin (and give it good mileage), in order to destroy the Bitcoin. The best way to destroy someone is to work from the inside.

doubt that happens.. most of the early adopters are into bitcoin for anti-establishments reasons. i'm thinking most of us here wouldn buy into a paypal/western union cryptocurrency just because they're the greedy elitist assholes who keep us in chains. the reason why bitcoin has been successful is because it is NOT those big companies.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:00:09 AM

doubt that happens.. most of the early adopters are into bitcoin for anti-establishments reasons. i'm thinking most of us here wouldn buy into a paypal/western union cryptocurrency just because they're the greedy elitist assholes who keep us in chains. the reason why bitcoin has been successful is because it is NOT those big companies.

Agreed. But looking at the number of new users who purchase BTCs everyday, I think a lot of them are just looking for an investment or a way to hide their "dirty money". 90%+ of them purchase BTCs after reading about it in mainstream news media. What will happen if the media is flooded with similar news about an altcoin which is (behind the scenes) created by the greedy bankers.

Imagine headlines like "Can X-coin replace BTC?", "X-coin for late investors", "Experts claim X-coin can overtake BTC by the end of 2014"...

A lot of ordinary folks will fall in to the trap, which will erode the popularity of Bitcoin in the long term.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: