Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:05:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin millionaires, tell us your story!  (Read 20458 times)
btcprice (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:32:42 AM

I know, I know, we are sure to get a lot of responses about how people everyone is a winner. I have to believe there are some authentic stories out there though.

With the current price at Mt. Gox hovering around the $800 level, if you have 1250 bitcoins you are a bitcoin millionaire.

How did you get your bitcoins? Did you mine them or did you buy them? If you bought them what was the price you bought them?

Now that you are a millionaire did you tell off your boss and quit your job or are you using the money for retirement?

Have you done anything special or extravagant with your money?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
faizaa123

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:23:30 AM

pretty sure all the millionaires are sitting on yachts not worrying about bitcoinforum heresay.

Tongue
KieranJones1

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:25:40 AM

Now that you are a millionaire did you tell off your boss and quit your job or are you using the money for retirement?

Have you done anything special or extravagant with your money?
Remember that a good deal of "bitcoin millionaires", even those who just rediscovered fortunes from 2010, are still holding onto their "fortune" rather than cashing out - so the two questions I quoted don't necessarily apply to those people!
btcprice (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:30:29 AM

pretty sure all the millionaires are sitting on yachts not worrying about bitcoinforum heresay.

Tongue

Well it's just been a little over a month when the price was at $135. If someone had 1250 bitcoins their net worth would be just over $150,000. Not hardly enough to retire on.

If I had a million dollars in wealth from bitcoin alone I would still want to discuss with people whether they thought the price would go down drastically so I would frequent this forum even now.
Rob768

Activity: 324
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:52:07 AM

A million bucks isn't enough to retire on.  Heck, I'm 32 and worth close to $3 million (Not from BTC), yet I still work my butt off everyday, albeit for myself.  If I was 70 maybe then I would consider retiring, but a lot can happen in the next 40 years.  Need to keep working to make sure I have the life I want, and for my sanity's sake as well lol.
baggage

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:05:04 AM

Lets say I had a couple million in bitcoin (I wish) and wanted to cash out (I wouldn't yet.)  

How would I do it? What it the best method?  I keep hearing it's difficult and that there is a long wait time to
get your cash. I know nothing about this but interested in being enlightened.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:07:28 AM

Tongue

Well it's just been a little over a month when the price was at $135. If someone had 1250 bitcoins their net worth would be just over $150,000. Not hardly enough to retire on.

If I had a million dollars in wealth from bitcoin alone I would still want to discuss with people whether they thought the price would go down drastically so I would frequent this forum even now.

Ummm. You might want to check your math. 1250 BTC is worth much more than $150,000
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:10:04 AM

Ummm. You might want to check your math. 1250 BTC is worth much more than $150,000

And it would be worth more when it hits more than a thousand. Cheesy
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:10:59 AM

I own 10 bitcoins and oh boy let me tell you... it feels great to be a millionaire at age 25

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:28:00 AM

A million bucks isn't enough to retire on.  Heck, I'm 32 and worth close to $3 million (Not from BTC), yet I still work my butt off everyday, albeit for myself.  If I was 70 maybe then I would consider retiring, but a lot can happen in the next 40 years.  Need to keep working to make sure I have the life I want, and for my sanity's sake as well lol.

It is - depends where you live and what standards you're used to. Where I come from you are among the lucky ones if you have $100k saved up. If you started bragging you have $3 mil you'd need some armed guards 24/7.

btcprice (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:32:09 AM

Tongue

In the previous sentence I was referring to "it's just been a little over a month when the price was at $135". At that time it was worth just a bit more than $150,000.
BitTrade

Activity: 173

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:22:26 AM

Nobody is going to post here.  Because IRS.
bitbob82

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:31:16 AM

well,if i have the 1250 bitcoin I would sell them all

pay the 40% tax or whatever, and keep the rest to enjoy life
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:37:31 AM

Nobody is going to post here.  Because IRS.

It would be monumentally stupid to end up in legal trouble and broke when one could just suck it up and pay the taxes.

Anyway, the Bush tax cuts have offered the opportunity for (American) people who are careful to not actually make money the old fashioned way to pay very minimal taxes.  This is supposed to be for trust-fund brats who don't lower themselves to have a job, but it looks like a clever bitcoiner might be able to slip through the same crack in the door.  As always, consult a qualified tax professional, etc, etc.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:52:25 AM

Lets say I had a couple million in bitcoin (I wish) and wanted to cash out (I wouldn't yet.)  

How would I do it? What it the best method?  I keep hearing it's difficult and that there is a long wait time to
get your cash. I know nothing about this but interested in being enlightened.

You could sell them to Coinbase and get your money in a few days. But you would drop the price drastically if you put out such a huge sell order.

Better option would be to use a bot to put up small sell orders every 30 minutes or so (I'm not aware of any Coinbase bots so you might have to use BTC-e or maybe Bitstamp).

Personally I think it would be silly to "cash out" right now, because based on all of the news around bitcoin it seems like we're about to start a very strong uptrend. I would probably exchange 20% for USD just as a safety net, and keep the rest as BTC.
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:59:11 AM

well,if i have the 1250 bitcoin I would sell them all

pay the 40% tax or whatever, and keep the rest to enjoy life

Well if you decided to pay that much tax haha, you wouldn't be enjoying life for too long depending on how old you are now lol.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
beetcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:01:05 AM

yeah you could hold them for a year and pay only 15%.
dadach

Activity: 365

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:37:31 AM

A million bucks isn't enough to retire on.  Heck, I'm 32 and worth close to $3 million (Not from BTC), yet I still work my butt off everyday, albeit for myself.  If I was 70 maybe then I would consider retiring, but a lot can happen in the next 40 years.  Need to keep working to make sure I have the life I want, and for my sanity's sake as well lol.

You sir are a true entrepreneur. When I was in college, I was like when my bitcoin are worth millions, I am retiring. Now I can retire, and I am working even harder because work is fun for me now and money is no object. It is extremely crazy how that works.

yeah, but bitcoin wealth probably made you get the job you want...crazy indeed Smiley

To DA Moon!!! donations accepted >.< 38nvHaNqF5nv4ifhUyq9CChnBmRs2DSv4r
BitTrade

Activity: 173

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:56:54 AM

Nobody is going to post here.  Because IRS.
Anyway, the Bush tax cuts have offered the opportunity for (American) people who are careful to not actually make money the old fashioned way to pay very minimal taxes.

Ha!  Sarcasm.... Right?
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:01:41 PM

I mined them in 2011 and got them from my shops.

I also tried day trading and had my ass handed to me in June or so.  I lost a few hundred Bitcoin then in the various bear traps.  I learnt a lot of respect for the people that can make day-trading work.  Even if its all down to luck, they have a lot of guts to do it.

I sold 500 BTC for $119.99 and I used the fiat to buy a nice car: http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/rx/rx-450h/  In real terms, it cost me less than $2000.  I don't want a yacht - the car is plenty reward for a fun investment in something I believe in.

I still have about 1900 BTC.  

I believe Bitcoin is still ludicrously under-priced.  Myself and a friend bought a KNC miner on ebay.de on Thursday and are looking to buy more.  I won't sell again until the price gets over £1000 which is $1600 and then I will sell exactly 1000.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: