Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:21:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3% loss 10% profit -> sell  (Read 2000 times)
brawdias (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 12:36:51 AM

If I set a 3% loss on my initial investment as a stop loss and a 10% profit as a stop for selling, will that make me trade too often ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 01:22:23 AM

If I set a 3% loss on my initial investment as a stop loss and a 10% profit as a stop for selling, will that make me trade too often ?

In a crypto market 3% loss is quite common and if you can't wait then you most likely will spend more money on trading fees and can't make much profit. I don't recommend how much you need to set because it all depends on individuals how much risk they can take in this highly volatile market.

I don't do an everyday trade so my targets are higher like 20% or more for the losses on particular coins. Some coins I will sell when I reach this target and some coins I will buy more when I reach this target.
girirohit957

Activity: 76

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 02:00:30 AM

Cryptocurrency market is highly volatile , If you look at the charts 3% loss can occur anytime , and after 3% loss the project can rise upto 100% , imagine you purchase a coin at 1 dollar , stop loss is 97 cent , if project goes 3℅ down , your order gets executed at that moment and after couple of minutes if the same goes 2$ your total loss will be 1.03 , you are in loss , no matter project is performing or not ,
Rubick99

Activity: 484
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 05:45:24 AM

If you set your Stop Loss at 3% every you Open Position can hit that SL, because crypto market so volatile. I suggest you to buyback evey the price has fallen until 20%.
The key to this strategy is do not All-in when entry market. Hope this help you.
Agat22

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 06:09:11 AM

It is impossible to answer this question unambiguously. It all depends on how accurately you will be able to choose the entry point. In General, the result is likely to be negative.
dungthuy

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 06:56:04 AM

3% loss is small to cutloss,i set 7% for cutloss and i will set 30% profit-i will sell 50% and the rest 50% i will sell with 50-60% profit
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:12:46 AM

Not a good idea, if you will cut your loss every time the cryptocurrency you trade fall down to 3% you would probably do this all the time and you will lose a lot of money, because it is very normal for any cryptocurrency to drop 3% due to their high volatility. Just think of this, if you will bought a cryptocurrency and the price went down, you can't say that it is already a loss unless you sell it to fiat currency, and giving up on a trade just because the price dropped a little bit is pointless for me because it can still recover at that price at the same day, depending on the situation of the market.
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:13:53 AM

From my experience you will loses more than you gain. 3% can easily be hit and you will have youself be push out of the trade more often than you ever think.  Trading is not just about setting stop loses but if you want to set stop loses you must do it in away that your position can accommodate the fluctuations in price.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 07:14:15 AM

3% loss is small to cutloss,i set 7% for cutloss and i will set 30% profit-i will sell 50% and the rest 50% i will sell with 50-60% profit

Are you doing a daily trading or not? From my experience getting 30%+ profit each day is hard to do. It makes me wonder how do you trade.

I agree with 10% profit sell, as long as you're trading only based on technical analysis, especially if you do a scalping. If you're doing a TA+FA then you should wait for more profits, around 30% and up. Set your cut loss around 5% or higher, 3% is too small.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
no0dlepunk

Activity: 490
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:47:34 AM

That depends on what coin you were trading my friend. 10% profit is attainable in high caps if you are practicing day trading, but if you are busy enough to watch the market, I recommend that you purchase Gunbot and let him do the trades for you.
wantjokull

Activity: 700
Merit: 275

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2018, 08:46:50 AM

It depends on what coin you are making the trades. This is just simple stop-loss algorithm and it will work once only and will end the trade. You will have to set it again and again once it ends with either 3% loss or 10% gain in theory! Now to make it happen over and over again you will need to have coin which id of quality having the swing trades all the time. If you manage to get such coin then you can trade multiple times in a week and thus can make good money out of it. Then it will work. For example, XVG, TRX etc.

▄▄██▄▄        ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄
█████████████████████████████
▀▀██████████▀▀ ▀▀██████████▀▀
    ▀▀██▀▀         ▀▀██▀▀

███▄▄██████▄▄        ▄▄██████▄▄     ▄█▄       ▄█▄     ▄▄██████▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀████▄    ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄  ▀████▄   ▄████▀  ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄
████        ███▄  ▄███        ███▄   ▀████▄████▀   ▄███        ███▄
███          ███  ████████████████     ▀█████▀     ███          ███
███          ███  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███████▄    ███▄        ▄███
███          ███   ███▄▄            ▄████▀ ▀████▄   ███▄▄    ▄▄███
███          ███    ▀██████████    ▀███▀     ▀███▀   ▀██████████▀
▀▀▀          ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀         ▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄       
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▄▄█▄▄   
▄▀▀  ▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀   █ ▀▀▄
▄▀▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀        █  ▀▄
█▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                           █
█                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▄▀       █
█                  █   ██   █
    ▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▀▄       █
█                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                           █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
THE WORLD'S
FIRST INSTANT
CRYPTO LOANS
GET INSTANT CASH IN
40+FIAT
CURRENCIES

USING
CRYPTO  AS
COLLATERAL

logan16j

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:20:27 AM

I think you put such stoplos is absolutely correct. You can see that the market in recent days is constantly changing and difficult to predict, so trading at this time is very dangerous and high risk. Although the market is showing signs of recovery, I believe this is just a short-term rebound and bitcoin prices will likely continue to decline at any time as overall, bitcoin prices are in the down cycle.
LtMotioN

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:13:55 AM

It all depends on what the charts say when you enter a trade imo. I'd suggest looking into these things to determine your stop loss. (Just based of my experience and lessons iv'e learned after taking a loss)

Volume
Make sure you have a few separate buy walls between your entry price and stop loss. I have taken a lot of losses due to flash dumps triggering my stop loss, then the price normalizes after one minute and continues to moon. These really suck to see the next morning. Make sure your stop loss accommodates for a small correction

Current trend in BTC price
I normally look for something that's gone into an upward trend and kept in it for about a few days at least. Because if it hasn't gone up too much yet, you are statistically more likely to see it go up a bit more than for it to dump.

Current BTC price vs ATH
I normally like trading something that is about 20-30% of its ATH in BTC and then ofc also in an upward trend. This means its still got some good room to grow.

When to exit?
Lets say I bought a coin at 700 sats and it's at 1000 sats. If it's still in an upward trend then there is no point in me selling right now since I could lose out on more profits. In a case like this I'd set a stop loss at 920 sats or so, I mean 220 sats per coin is still great. If it continues to pump I will keep moving that stop-loss up, about 7-10% below the current price. This was you are assured to sell it near the top and you are guaranteed your profits.
The only risk is really when you enter for those first few hours.  My entry stop loss is generally 1-2%.

I am actually doing the rolling stop-loss on EOS now for my exit. I sold near the top and re-entered quite luckily near todays bottom with more tokens. I have my stop loss about 5,5k sats below the price.  So I am already guaranteed profits, if it goes on to break its ATH I am still in it and can enjoy the gains Smiley

Hope these insights help you, I normally take the 1% loss in the face if my entry isn't perfect. This sometimes screws me and other times saves me.

Dogs are nice, I don't like cats though.
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:40:41 AM

It would make your trades too often since 3% loss is easy to achieve in crypto. I suggest you set your stop loss to 40% and set your stop for selling as 30% for a better profit(if you wont do day trades). If you will, then your stop for selling is fine, but set your stop loss to 30% for better profits(since most markets doesn't drastically moves down all the time, which will lessen your trades. It will also help you save up on fees).
LtMotioN

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:43:48 AM

It would make your trades too often since 3% loss is easy to achieve in crypto. I suggest you set your stop loss to 40% and set your stop for selling as 30% for a better profit(if you wont do day trades). If you will, then your stop for selling is fine, but set your stop loss to 30% for better profits(since most markets doesn't drastically moves down all the time, which will lessen your trades. It will also help you save up on fees).

But then you risk 40% to make 30%. Which means your success rate on trades needs to be over 50%. This dude explains the logic quite well on this actually. I have sort of been operating in that fashion and its given me much more consistent and overall green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCtBRsLPmk&t=2s

Dogs are nice, I don't like cats though.
Hagmonar

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 03:43:07 PM

I just prefer to hold in long term and patiently wait  the good chance to sell my tokens in a good profit rather that buy and put in bot that you pay in high price and you just only do a  small amount of capital. I think that was good only for a rich man people.
Sinecoin

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:03:16 PM

I think a 3% stop loss and a 10% profit stop are too low margins for crypto investments.  A coin could drop 3% in a day and that would be considered completely normal and not out of the ordinary. I would bump the stop loss to 15% or more because these cryptos tend to swing a lot and you dont wanna have it liquidate your coins for such a small drop.

center]
         ▄▄▄█████████████████
    ▄▄████████████████████████     
 ▄█████████▀▀▀            ████▌     ███▄
▐█████▀▀                  ▐███▌     ████
▐████                     ▐████     ████
▐████       ▄▄█████████████████      ▀▀█
▐████     ▐███████████████████▌
 ████▌     ███████▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄▄
 ▐████      █████       ██████████████▌
  █████     ▀█████     █████▌  ▀▀█████
   █████     ▀█████   █████▀     █████
    █████     ▀█████▄█████▀     █████
     █████     ▀█████████▀     █████
      █████      ▀█████▀      █████
       █████▄      ▀▀▀      ▄█████
        ▀█████▄           ▄█████▀
          ▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
            ▀█████▄▄ ▄▄█████▀
              ▀███████████▀
                 ▀▀███▀▀
BookiePro▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   BookiePro.fun   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████ █ █
  The World's Betting Exchange 
         ▄▄███▄███▄
        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ██▀ ▀█████████████
   ▄██ ███▄██████████████
  ████ ██████████████████
   ███ ███████        ███ █▄
▄█▄ ██ ███████   ████████ ▀▀█▄
▀██▄ ████         █████ ▀██▄
  ▀█▄▄ ████▀▀▀   ▀▀▀█████ ██ ▀█▀
    ▀█ ████▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█████ ███
       ███████   ████████ ████
       ██████████████▀███ ██▀
       █████████████▄ ▄██
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
             ▀███▀████▀▀
   Bet with  ▆▆▆▆▆
▆▆▆▆▆ Play Money

Win Real Bitcoin 
|   5 BTC ▆▆▆▆▆
▆▆▆▆▆ Prize Pool

World Cup 2018 
  Download 
Now
[/center]
Ushono

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:10:05 PM

You can set a maximum loss of 1% and a minimum profit of 100%. So you'll be a millionaire soon.
cheeseandcrackers

Activity: 155
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 07:17:55 PM

3% is kinda low for the downside, 10% is decent for the high side.   If you're a "set it and forget it" type, then this strategy will work just fine.  You can probably squeeze more out of the high end though, if you're readily paying attention.  Just don't get too greedy with it.  Getting out in profit should never be a difficult decision.
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 08:41:42 PM

I agree with others that 3 and 10 percent triggers are too low.  Take today for instance, just in the top-10 on CoinMarketCap, three of the top ten coins are below a 3-percent loss... and that doesn't even include the intra day range.

I think you're asking for guidelines but in my experience each trade needs to be approached differently.  If you're just starting I'd recommend keeping a trading journal and write out your hypothesis (why you think it's a good trade) and before you purchase list out your stop-loss and sell targets.  And... none of these should be guessed, there should some logic behind your targets.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: