Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:03:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY FPGA Mining rig for any algorithm with fast ROI  (Read 99397 times)
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2093
Merit: 1396

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 06:49:04 PM
Merited by suchmoon (5), anorganix (1)

If this doomsday device is what the OP suggests.  I don't see how GPUs are going to survive this.  If the ASIC is a 10 kiloton hiroshima style weapon.  This is a 10 megaton hydrogen bomb.  And it's going to get dropped right on your GPU rig.

I wet the bed last night after reading this thread.   Wink Cheesy

This CPU/GPU/FPGA/ASIC cycle has happened 2-3 times over as some people have pointed out. Except this last cycle everyone forgot about FPGAs because there were more "nerds" back in the early bitcoin days. Making an algorithm FPGA "resistant" is probably easier than ASIC "resistant", and new algorithms will come out with new coins and the cycle repeats ;P

Looks like people re-discovered FPGAs this round again since the large ASIC companies have been going straight from GPU->ASIC while ignoring the smaller algorithms.

Id be careful in buying these "dev" boards though. They cost 5k because they are not meant for consumers. I could probably build a board with with these xilinix FPGA's for under 2k (and looked into it and been approached about it in the past), and that are designed for crypto in mind.

Either way its the same deal as ASICs...of course you'll make 300 bucks a day when there are 5 people mining FPGAs on a coin....as soon as 50 people jump on its 30 bucks a day...

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
costi.kocev

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 06:54:56 PM

Can someone give me again invite to Discord group?
gameboy366

Activity: 252
Merit: 8

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:12:51 PM

If this doomsday device is what the OP suggests.  I don't see how GPUs are going to survive this.  If the ASIC is a 10 kiloton hiroshima style weapon.  This is a 10 megaton hydrogen bomb.  And it's going to get dropped right on your GPU rig.

This CPU/GPU/FPGA/ASIC cycle has happened 2-3 times over as some people have pointed out. Except this last cycle everyone forgot about FPGAs because there were more "nerds" back in the early bitcoin days. Making an algorithm FPGA "resistant" is probably easier than ASIC "resistant", and new algorithms will come out with new coins and the cycle repeats ;P

Looks like people re-discovered FPGAs this round again since the large ASIC companies have been going straight from GPU->ASIC while ignoring the smaller algorithms.

Id be careful in buying these "dev" boards though. They cost 5k because they are not meant for consumers. I could probably build a board with with these xilinix FPGA's for under 2k (and looked into it and been approached about it in the past), and that are designed for crypto in mind.

Either way its the same deal as ASICs...of course you'll make 300 bucks a day when there are 5 people mining FPGAs on a coin....as soon as 50 people jump on its 30 bucks a day...

Yes I know, people started mining Bitcoin with these FPGA and then suddenly ASIC came and people forgot about them. But now ASICs being released for all of the algos, I think gpu mining has finally come to an end and FPGA will live for a little longer (if it works). I think either NVidia or Amd should release new dedicated mining gpu or we need some revolutionary new algo for gpus. Also can you elaborate how do you make algo FPGA resistant but at the same time it won't be resistant to gpus. I know little bit about FPGAs, my friends owns some spartans and vertix 7.
dgale3952coin

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:18:37 PM

Why can't the firmware be updated on a ASIC to change the algo?  Thanks
Coindgr

Activity: 1034
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:38:02 PM

The answser you're looking is the first reply on this page

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
.Anonymous and Untraceable.
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
BittWareFPGASales

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:58:26 PM

Here are some details on the BittWare Crypto-Currency Board & Software Tools

Part# - XUPP3R-0077-CV
Description – VU9P (speed-2) PCIe card with 4x QSFPs and no memory populated.
Domestic Price - $5895*
International Price - $6485*
Warranty – 3 months
Support – During warranty period (3 months)

Part # - ED-BW2TK-LITE
Description: Electronic Download of BittWorks II Toolkit Lite (includes utilities only, no libraries)
Domestic Price – Included with HW
International Price - Included with HW

*Note the 2 prices (standard procedure for BittWare with all their products) to address domestic (USA) and International (ROW) customers.  This is done to cover costs associated with our channel partners importation, handling, margin etc.

The current pricing on the card is very aggressive and can be viewed as pricing for qty 1-100.  We can offer price reductions on the cards in volume assuming it is the same single end user.  We’ll be glad to provide volume level quotes in these larger quantities for the larger users/farms on a case-by-case basis.

For more information, contact BittWare at: sales@bittware.com

Thanks -
/BittWare Sales
netmonk

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 08:01:37 PM

Cause the ASIC firmware doesnt have much capabilities, all the intelligence being hardcoded into wire and chip.
ASIC are not programmable. Once it is designed for a specific task, it can only do this task (very efficiently in term of power/energy). So if you change the task, you need to design a new ASIC.

FPGA are between too much general design like CPU which are made for doing a wide variety of task by implementing instruction logic and therefore full programmable, and ASIC which are very stupid chip which are only made for one task.
FPGA are often used to develop, test and design ASIC circuit. Which lower the developpment/test cost.
But market is a very small nich so FPGA are very expensive.
So FPGA are a kind of electronic circuit emulator, which of course will be less efficient than final asic implementation, but still more efficient in term of power/energy than CPU.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2093
Merit: 1396

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 08:03:08 PM

Yes I know, people started mining Bitcoin with these FPGA and then suddenly ASIC came and people forgot about them. But now ASICs being released for all of the algos, I think gpu mining has finally come to an end and FPGA will live for a little longer (if it works). I think either NVidia or Amd should release new dedicated mining gpu or we need some revolutionary new algo for gpus. Also can you elaborate how do you make algo FPGA resistant but at the same time it won't be resistant to gpus. I know little bit about FPGAs, my friends owns some spartans and vertix 7.

Nothing is resistant...it all comes down to economics. With FPGAs your limited with the number of programable gates the silicon has. The more complicated the algorithm the less "cores" you can fit on the die. If someone wanted to create a GPU algorithm that was not as economical on an FPGA, you would make it so each round requires a ridiculous amount of instructions, or have the coin use a large amount of different algorithms which take up precious FPGA space. You then take the advantage away from FPGAs because 1) it would require alot more effort and time to program the FPGA, and 2) you can't fit as many cores on it, so the instead of it being 10x as fast as a GPU, you can only get away with 2-3x with maybe a slight increase in efficiency.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
netmonk

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 08:06:24 PM

Part# - XUPP3R-0077-CV
Domestic Price - $5895*
Warranty – 3 months

Part # - ED-BW2TK-LITE
Description: Electronic Download of BittWorks II Toolkit Lite (includes utilities only, no libraries)

*Note the 2 prices (standard procedure for BittWare with all their products) to address domestic (USA) and International (ROW) customers.  This is done to cover costs associated with our channel partners importation, handling, margin etc.

The current pricing on the card is very aggressive and can be viewed as pricing for qty 1-100.  We can offer price reductions on the cards in volume assuming it is the same single end user.  We’ll be glad to provide volume level quotes in these larger quantities for the larger users/farms on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks -
/BittWare Sales

Does it mean that if i call my local french dealer, he will ask me 6486$ (5415 euros without tax ) flat  price without VAT (around 6500 euros with VAT) ? or do i need still to include his margin on it ?

Also 3 months warranty is quite disappointing, even for GPU it's minimum 6 months.
And i guess EU regulations force seller to minimum one year constructor warranty.

When i called your local seller in France yesterday, strong support from Bittware for this professionnal highgrade device was part of the sells arguments.

PS: i promise i wont tell my friends working in HFT that price dropped drastically ! Smiley
Lunga Chung

Activity: 277
Merit: 23

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 08:35:39 PM

Unless VU9P can do CryptoNite v7 with at least 65Khs  this price is to high
BittWareFPGASales

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 08:38:10 PM

Cards are sold in US$ and do not include local taxes such as VAT. Pre-payment is required.

BittWare does pride itself on its product performance and support. The Cyrpto-Currency card and its associated pricing comes with limited warranty and support (3 months)  Longer warranty and support can be added for increased cost.  Faster spread grade FPGAs, low-latecy external memory, etc are also options with associated costs increases.

rem26

Activity: 78

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 09:04:45 PM

Part# - XUPP3R-0077-CV
Domestic Price - $5895*
Warranty – 3 months

Part # - ED-BW2TK-LITE

*Note the 2 prices (standard procedure for BittWare with all their products) to address domestic (USA) and International (ROW) customers.  This is done to cover costs associated with our channel partners importation, handling, margin etc.

The current pricing on the card is very aggressive and can be viewed as pricing for qty 1-100.  We can offer price reductions on the cards in volume assuming it is the same single end user.  We’ll be glad to provide volume level quotes in these larger quantities for the larger users/farms on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks -
/BittWare Sales

Does it mean that if i call my local french dealer, he will ask me 6486$ (5415 euros without tax ) flat  price without VAT (around 6500 euros with VAT) ? or do i need still to include his margin on it ?

Also 3 months warranty is quite disappointing, even for GPU it's minimum 6 months.
And i guess EU regulations force seller to minimum one year constructor warranty.

When i called your local seller in France yesterday, strong support from Bittware for this professionnal highgrade device was part of the sells arguments.

PS: i promise i wont tell my friends working in HFT that price dropped drastically ! Smiley

It's not a consumer product.  They are not going to hold your hand while you try to load a bitfile from a 3rd party.

Here's where the casual miners get separated from the real nerds.
CryptosMiningFR

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 09:21:32 PM

Interesting topic, i keep my eyes on it.

Thanks for your share

https://cryptos-mining.net
Minage cryptos-monnaies
netmonk

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 09:23:21 PM

Part# - XUPP3R-0077-CV
Domestic Price - $5895*
Warranty – 3 months

Part # - ED-BW2TK-LITE

Thanks -
/BittWare Sales

It's not a consumer product.  They are not going to hold your hand while you try to load a bitfile from a 3rd party.

I was more talking about hardware failure, hardware replacement procedure and so on.
Guess that if your computer is defective 4 months after purchase, you are happy to return it to shop and ask for a replacement !
For the rest, we dont know each other, keep your words for yourself !
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 09:27:54 PM

Part# - XUPP3R-0077-CV
Domestic Price - $5895*
Warranty – 3 months

Part # - ED-BW2TK-LITE

Thanks -
/BittWare Sales

It's not a consumer product.  They are not going to hold your hand while you try to load a bitfile from a 3rd party.

and the market for those chains dry faster than the price can fall Smiley

so what it's true : I read that fpgas for CryptoNight have been successfully reconfigured for CryptoNightV7 ?

so the fork was a total failure.

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
netmonk

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 09:29:57 PM

so what it's true : I read that fpgas for CryptoNight have been successfully reconfigured for CryptoNightV7 ?

well the fork never intended to block fpga, but ASIC. So far it worked.
Just seems that the new algo is not so economically ASIC resistant for monero new POW, which will surely require a new fork in six months
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 09:37:30 PM

Just seems that the new algo is not so economically ASIC resistant for monero new POW, which will surely require a new fork in six months

technically you are right, but I though it was about letting the chain be decentralized on relying on cpus and gpus... now it's a few fpgas running the show... a 51% attack on monero would be great Smiley.

as the others poster "only nerd" control fpgas... and then if you have to know how to reconfigure them... and if you know how to configure one, you know how to remove a "fee"...

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
netmonk

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 09:48:53 PM

technically you are right, but I though it was about letting the chain be decentralized on relying on cpus and gpus... now it's a few fpgas running the show... a 51% attack on monero would be great Smiley.

as the others poster "only nerd" control fpgas... and then if you have to know how to reconfigure them... and if you know how to configure one, you know how to remove a "fee"...

Well i can be wrong, but i dont think fpga are big part of monero hashrate.
When they forked the network hash dropped to 1ghs to around 300mhs.
What happened after is that a lot of gpu miner switched their rig to monero, because ASIC farm are very predatory to little CN project.
I opened a Dero pool three weeks ago, at this time network  hash was around 4mhs, and now it's around 200mhs.
Intense coin saw it's network hash jumping from 2mhs to more than 900mhs in less than a day.
So CN asic farm are targetting all potential coin which havent forked yet to get some profit. Repelling all gpu miners which only mines dust on those quite profitable young project before then.
So those gpu miners turned their rigs to monero and alike who already forked, which explains the rise of hashrate.

About the dev fee, i consider 4% is ok.
The biggest risk of this project is more a human risk, as far as we investing miners are all tied to the release planning and support of a very few number of developper (currently one). Which means that we cannot do much if developper decide to not implement some algorithm. And the possibility that another dev release things is quite low, given the high profitability of the technical advantage.

he can make a very good profit getting little % of hardware sells from those company, attract investing miners with keccak release end of may so that we are enough to buy lot of card in hope of other algo, and exit scam with hundred of thousand buck by end of year Smiley
and we all have to wait for another dev to use our fpga hardware and being exposed to same risk.

So in game theory, i will not try to remove 4% fee even if i have some skills to do it, until im fully able to dev efficient mining algorithm (which seems not very doable, given my personnal situation - familly- work- time i can allocate to become really fluent in vhdl ...)
big_daddy

Activity: 1652
Merit: 583

xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 09:49:23 PM

Great topic
Will keep an eye on it
Also interested in buying this king of rig

If you don't believe it or don't get it, I don't have the time to try to convince you, sorry.
saint78

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 09:49:40 PM

For Ravencoin and Bitcore, the DDR4 is not used for hashing at all, but rather to store hundreds of different FPGA configuration bitstreams, which allows the entire FPGA to rapidly reprogram itself on every block based on the algorithm sequence for that block.  Cryptonight7 and Equihash, on the other hand, would use the external memory for actual hashing.  Whether CN7/Equihash gain from additional RAM depends on how those algorithms are ultimately implemented.

How much DDR4 would be needed per card for this Bitstream storing for RVN?

bumped. if anyone has an idea
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: