Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:40:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I hoard bitcoin, and I spend too.  (Read 1165 times)
toddfletcher (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:39:09 PM

I read a post somewhere on the forum from a merchant who complained that spending in bitcoins drops when the price rises. It's obvious why; everyone wants to hold to capture future increases.

But I've found myself doing just the opposite. I've divided my initial purchase of coins into two piles; a two thirds portion that is for long term holding, and the remaining third is for spending, at propitious times. I basically regard this second pile as a sheep to be sheared. I maintain a minimum (dollar) balance and spend when it grows above that. So a price run up has the opposite effect on me.

So this last Saturday I spent some bitcoin at Ultimate Consignment in Mesa Arizona. I was only the second person to purchase there with it. And while I know I was giving up whatever future earnings I may have gotten from the spent coins, I also know I was doing something positive to help it succeed. And besides it's fun!

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:52:42 PM

You can't hoard and spend, it's pretty much either or!
I would say you are using it like fiat, spending normally but with some savings in reserve
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:10:45 PM

spend and buy again.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 08:06:30 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2013, 09:01:50 PM by LiteCoinGuy

?

no.

you can hoard some coins and with another wallet you can buy whatever you want (and you should do that if you like BTC and want support it)

so toddfletcher: thats good Smiley

toddfletcher (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:59:48 AM

"I would say you are using it like fiat, spending normally but with some savings in reserve"

That's true, only this spending account usually has more money in it every time I look ;-)
mootinator

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:05:14 AM

Hoard is just a pejorative for saving anyway. What business of anyone else's is how much savings you think you need?

No
toddfletcher (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:20:42 AM

Nobody's business, I agree. But I do like to spend a bit to support other adopters, and to take profit. But to each his own!
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:52:16 AM

Nobody's business, I agree. But I do like to spend a bit to support other adopters, and to take profit. But to each his own!

Oh, I do enjoy using bitcoin. In fact, I was really starting to worry this was a bubble. Then on a whim I bought a 60 day World of Warcraft time card on bitcoincodes.com. And that was ugly, clunky, and yet still the most frictionless transaction I've ever made on a site I'd never been to before. If this thing can be so awesome while it's still immature and inaccessible, I believe it has a bright future, indeed, and >90% of people aren't capable of seeing how that's possible. Saving or "hoarding" a few is really the only sensible thing for me to do.

No
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:56:01 AM

i'd spend some of them if i had a lot of coins.. but with the amount i have, it wouldn't last me too long  Angry

i was thinking about using my coinbase account to convert USD to BTC.. for every amazon purchase i make.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 07:01:43 AM

Same as OP.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:34:26 AM

?

no.

you can hoard some coins and with another wallet you can buy whatever you want (and you should do that if you like BTC and want support it)

so toddfletcher: thats good Smiley

It's like saving or your money in a bank account and spending your wife wage on booze.
And that is not quite "saving".

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Lewis2

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:18:19 PM

So you say you keep an x amount of dollars always in your wallet, so your spending money increases when you sell? Not too smart I would say, because your money doesn't grow. For the rest, you put your finger on the sore spot, people should spend more to make it more widely accepted, but why spend if everybody on a forum tells you your bitcoin will be worth 10k in 5 years?

Pokerfan

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:12:50 PM

You can hoard bitcoin and spend bitcoin at the same time.

Fiat -> bitcoin -> hoard BTC.
Fiat -> bitcoin -> spend BTC.

Each time you want to spend bitcoin, just buy BTC with fiat and then spend BTC. Your BTC savings account does not decrease!
toddfletcher (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:13:43 PM

So you say you keep an x amount of dollars always in your wallet, so your spending money increases when you sell? Not too smart I would say, because your money doesn't grow.

For my spending wallet say I start with one coin in there, @ $600. When the value in USD goes up say $750, I'll spend $150, never going below a certain $ amount. Of course this only works as long as it rises, if it no rise, you no spend. If it keeps rising, eventually you'll spend it all, but that coin was designated for spending anyway, you just got a hell of a lot more mileage out of it, and supported the bitcoin economy with it.

This way you can safely take profits knowing there's a limit and a brake on it, and you won't end up eating through all your stash becasue you have held coins in reserve for the super big run ups, if that happens.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:16:23 PM

You can hoard bitcoin and spend bitcoin at the same time.

Fiat -> bitcoin -> hoard BTC.
Fiat -> bitcoin -> spend BTC.

Each time you want to spend bitcoin, just buy BTC with fiat and then spend BTC. Your BTC savings account does not decrease!

Hoarding means to accumulate , to have more than you previously had.
You can't do that by spending.
Even if you go like:
7+2-1+2 which is bigger than 7 in the end
at the point when you go -1(spending) you are not hoarding anymore.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄