Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:40:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MCXNow Shutting down (Temporary)  (Read 23905 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:03:33 AM

I personally think this shouldn't be stickied at all. I think it belongs in scams section.

When did we ever sticky a BTC-e thread? Never to my recollection, this should be no different. I.e. keep the standard the same for all.

People put coins into an exchange it isnt the forum (here) who should be responsible for their negligence of their coins and where they store them.

People need to start doing their due diligence before sending coins to an exchange or merchant (including purchasing coins from myself). It is the smart thing to do.

@Salty, I think stickying this thread only gives mcxnow.com more attention than it needs (i.e. more advertising for RS).

Clearly he doesnt think his share holders are important or else he would not be closing up shop like this. It is blatantly obvious.

No, the sticky says get your coins out before it gets shut down. The intent of the post wasn't to call RS innocent or a scammer, MCXNow is/was a large exchange that handled a lot of Alt Currency trade. If people had coins on there, and just were letting them sit for the interest, they might not be aware of the shut down, and that if they don't withdraw their coins within a month, they will either have them stuck there or gone, depending on the whole outcome.

As for advertising, I'm not worried about people seeing the Shutting down notice and thinking to themselves, "Now would be a good time to try out this exchange that I saw advertised"

I guess I was coming from the question:

Is it your responsibility to warn people of this by stickying a thread?

I disagree as it is the individual investors' responsibility and risk.

I still stand by my comment, I think the thread is unrelated to this forum. Perhaps better put into service discussion?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

deodecagone

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:20:18 AM

I personally think this shouldn't be stickied at all. I think it belongs in scams section.

When did we ever sticky a BTC-e thread? Never to my recollection, this should be no different. I.e. keep the standard the same for all.

People put coins into an exchange it isnt the forum (here) who should be responsible for their negligence of their coins and where they store them.

People need to start doing their due diligence before sending coins to an exchange or merchant (including purchasing coins from myself). It is the smart thing to do.

@Salty, I think stickying this thread only gives mcxnow.com more attention than it needs (i.e. more advertising for RS).

Clearly he doesnt think his share holders are important or else he would not be closing up shop like this. It is blatantly obvious.

No, the sticky says get your coins out before it gets shut down. The intent of the post wasn't to call RS innocent or a scammer, MCXNow is/was a large exchange that handled a lot of Alt Currency trade. If people had coins on there, and just were letting them sit for the interest, they might not be aware of the shut down, and that if they don't withdraw their coins within a month, they will either have them stuck there or gone, depending on the whole outcome.

As for advertising, I'm not worried about people seeing the Shutting down notice and thinking to themselves, "Now would be a good time to try out this exchange that I saw advertised"

I still stand by my comment, I think the thread is unrelated to this forum. Perhaps better put into service discussion?

Bullshit ! This is a key information for the time being that is of interest for all the community around alt cryptos. It has to stay for the time being and wouldn't recommend to try to hide it. It should be unsticked when not of interest anymore for the community.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:57:01 AM

Bullshit ! This is a key information for the time being that is of interest for all the community around alt cryptos. It has to stay for the time being and wouldn't recommend to try to hide it. It should be unsticked when not of interest anymore for the community.

The thread can exist, but having it stickied is still what I disagree with. If you are gullable enough to leave funds on RS's exchange, then you deserve to lose it.

His forum persona from the past has given all the tell tale signs that he is a shady character.

It isn't the forum's job to monitor and warn people of an exchange shutting down, in my view. That is the exchange's job. When other exchanges have shut down in the past there was never (from my recollection) a sticky for that in this subforum.

The key information is written all over this forum on why people should not have sent funds to RS's exchange, yet many did.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:00:05 AM

What I am surprised is that RS has not created a thread here to announce and warn others about the exchange shutting down.

Salty had to make a thread and sticky it instead, again, not his responsibility, but his choice.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:21:24 AM

What I am surprised is that RS has not created a thread here to announce and warn others about the exchange shutting down.

Salty had to make a thread and sticky it instead, again, not his responsibility, but his choice.

@Smoothie

Do you really think RS gives a shit about any of his users?

~BCX~

His message on his exchange makes him sound like he cares given he is giving them time to withdraw their coins, so it is contradictory not to post a thread on the same forum he mass spammed his exchange to get millions of $ to his exchange.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:23:47 AM

Whatever the temporary closing. Just take your coin out, no problem.

RS is working on a gambling game with sort of pokemon fighting. That's what is on his mind.

I can't wait to try it.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

RS is working on a gambling game with sort of pokemon fighting. That's what is on his mind.

I can't wait to try it.

Ahh, plotting his next scam already. Are we on the 3rd or 4th one now? I'm begining to lose track.

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:48:29 AM

I can't wait to try it.
I am quite sure he want's people to cash out their MCX fee shares at rock bottom, I would say that was the plan from day one.

superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:13:19 PM

I can't wait to try it.
Ahh, plotting his next scam already. Are we on the 3rd or 4th one now? I'm begining to lose track.

Dunno if it's a scam but I'll try it. It will be less boring than trading alt-coin and dice-game. Think about it : pokemon fight with Bitcoin, yeah !
erk

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:18:29 PM

I can't wait to try it.

Dunno if it's a scam but I'll try it. It will be less boring than trading alt-coin and dice-game. Think about it : pokemon fight with Bitcoin, yeah !
It's obviously a scam, he lives in Australia and it's illegal for Australians to offer online gambling.
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:39:11 PM

It's obviously a scam, he lives in Australia and it's illegal for Australians to offer online gambling.

I don't get that. Why does it matter ?
erk

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:44:03 PM

To some people breaking the law does matter. I guess your not one of them.

superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:51:04 PM

To some people breaking the law does matter. I guess your not one of them.

If hosting gambling site is illegal in a country, host it somewhere else.
Problem solved.
Amechan

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

Spreading Bitcoin love

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:03:21 PM

The thread can exist, but having it stickied is still what I disagree with. If you are gullable enough to leave funds on RS's exchange, then you deserve to lose it.

His forum persona from the past has given all the tell tale signs that he is a shady character.

It isn't the forum's job to monitor and warn people of an exchange shutting down, in my view. That is the exchange's job. When other exchanges have shut down in the past there was never (from my recollection) a sticky for that in this subforum.

The key information is written all over this forum on why people should not have sent funds to RS's exchange, yet many did.

I have to disagree with you. I was not aware of RS's history despite being around here since 2011. Not sure how that happened but it did.
I was recommended MCX by several upstanding sites and the wiki page mentions nothing of its developer. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/McxNOW
Obviously I didn't dig deep enough.
Keep in mind that there are probably a large number of people who were not even aware of who the operator is.
BTC-E keeps pretty tight lips on who is running things over there as well.

I am happy to say I did not lose any money as I never bought shares and was able to pull all my coins out (at a profit actually) but that being said.
I agree that this post is not so much a warning of possible scamming as it is a notice in the interest of all holders of alt coins that their balances need to be claimed soon.
If this post were to be buried it would not be of much use to anyone.

All that being said I would never trust RS again knowing what I know now. BTC-E seems pretty damn shady as well.
So what altxchange is safe? Safer? Safeish? Cryptsy?

superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:20:53 PM

All that being said I would never trust RS again knowing what I know now. BTC-E seems pretty damn shady as well.

There is NO safe place for your Bitcoins unless keeping them in an offline wallet.

Every time you move them to a place, you take risk.
IamNotSure

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:53:10 PM

There is NO safe place for your Bitcoins unless keeping them in an offline wallet.

I'd even say you should split your coins into multiple offline wallets to minimize the risk.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 05:33:00 PM

Not really my responsibility, but I felt that it was probably a smart move. A lot of people trusted Real Solid, MCXNow had a fair bit of volume, which means someone must have been using it. I thought about the interest system, and how likely it was that someone would have dumped coins there, and planned to just not check it for a while to see what they had accumulated. This thread is mostly for those people, as well as those living under a rock and don't see the Crypto news.

Why I chose not to make accusations, and post strictly about the fact that it is closing, and allow speculation for everyone else, is that it doesn't matter at this point. What does matter is if you have coins on the exchange to get them out.

Agreed, the safest place for your coins is on a properly secured personal wallet. As to what Exchange is safest? None of them really, however I do have a personal hotspot for BTC-E. I was there about a year ago when someone managed to inject $40,000 fake USD into the system, and purchased $40,000 worth of Bitcoins from users with nothing. BTC-E was the only exchange that I've seen that stepped up and refunded their users instantly, and took the $40k loss out of their pocket. Mind you this was back when BTC were $5, so they weren't making thousands per day on trading fees. I find it funny that the shady Russian Exchange is the one I trust the most.

But! Do you own due research, no exchange is safe, its just a matter of finding one that you trust with your money while you trade, and then taking the money off of the exchange.
Siigari

Activity: 45
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 07:45:58 PM

I won a half a bitcoin over there yesterday for being one of the first $20 to post "$1000" when BTC hit $1000.

I feel pretty good. I've pulled all of it out, but I have one FEE just in case something does happen. It was a free .5 BTC so I might as well pay respect to the person who issued it.
broken_pixel

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:26:02 PM

Realsnake  Cool

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:21:57 PM

@Smoothie

If the mods here followed the classification for post to the letter as you want Saltyspitoon to follow, then your current front page post

"► ► ► LEALANA PHYSICAL LITECOINS FOR SALE - 1 LTC, 5 LTC, 10 LTC, & 25 LTC"

belongs in Marketplace, not here.

Besides, why do you want to short Coinhunter all the attention he is due?  Cheesy

~BCX~

You forget that my thread isn't stickied. That is the main difference.  Grin

Not that it matters, just wanted to point out that it isn't the forum's responsibility but the users of the exchange.

We both called it, RS is pretty much what we presumed he is, shady and sneaky in his dealings. Once he gets the upper hand usually he gives everyone the finger.

You notice that he never once called users an idiot prior to his shutdown? Now he has the balls to do so.

Classic coward.  Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: