Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:50:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoin Index Fund  (Read 1107 times)
Zangelbert Bingledack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:37:03 PM

Does anything like this exist? Either a managed fund that seeks to invest in the most promising altcoins, or just a broad industry index, would be useful for people who don't have time to keep track of all the little developments.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iampingu

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:13:03 PM

I was thinking of setting something like that up, but I don't have the reputation yet.
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:48:35 PM

I've been playing with this idea in my head for quire a while now. I think this should be the future of virtual currencies. At a technical level it is not difficult to develop a wallet that connects to numerous virtual currencies. Then your wealth will be expressed in terms of the altcoin index. I think the rise of altcoins will (to some extent) dilute the value of bitcoin and solve its deflation problem. I think the next big move in the cryptocurrencies space is that the market will rebalance the value of bitcoin with respect to the altcoins.
bitanalysis

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 10:16:56 PM

Has anyone started something like this yet?
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:38:23 PM

Does anything like this exist? Either a managed fund that seeks to invest in the most promising altcoins, or just a broad industry index, would be useful for people who don't have time to keep track of all the little developments.

just what cryptos need more bs financial products. why head on all the same roads as the fiat world?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 12:25:06 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 12:35:34 AM by Za1n

Yes, CoinoIndex (INDEX) has been available for trading on Poloniex for some time. https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_index

The CoinoIndex tracks the top twenty alternative cryptocurrencies ranked by largest capitalization.

More information on the Altcoin Index Fund (Coinoindex) can be found at their website: http://coinoindex.com/ or also a brief overview can be found here: http://www.alternativecoin.com/altcoin-index-fund-coinoindex-now-available/

They also have a thread on this forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1129646.0
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 12:59:05 AM

just what cryptos need more bs financial products. why head on all the same roads as the fiat world?

Because Wall Street will take over the "crypto world" the minute it's profitable...
There are already 2 BTC funds... and with FIX connections algo trading will take over crypto trading.

Also...
Your post shows a deep misunderstanding of "financial products" such as funds of alts/stocks...
They are crucial to lowering volatility for the casual investor... and make crypto/stocks conservative enough for mainstream.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 04:31:42 AM

just a broad industry index

Would that it was quite so straightforward as that. The integrity of such an index would be ultimately reliant on the collective integrity of exchange owners.

wikipedia definition: “In economics and finance, an index is a statistical measure of changes in a representative group of individual data points. These data may be derived from any number of sources, including company performance, prices, productivity, and employment.”

Altcoin exchanges are not subject to regulation and the impact of this is that there's no trustworthy canonical list either of exchanges or of trades and so the completeness and accuracy of the data is unreliable to an indeterminate degree.

Any definition of “representative” can only be developed with reference to this unreliable data.

The statistical measures of change would be based on this hoped-to-be-representative group of unreliable data points.

Still interested?

Cheers

Graham
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: