Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:42:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How about KYC on bitcointalk?  (Read 195 times)
demonic098 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 2

Ximply for president!!!

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:37:48 AM

Do you think requiring KYC here in bitcointalk a good idea? It'll prevent scammers from entering our forum plus this will also prevent Alt accounts which commonly makes a lot of spams.  

Buy me a drink ETH: 0xED47aFa721e4228Bf19434aDDB1B79E740822540

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 08:39:12 AM

Do you think requiring KYC here in bitcointalk a good idea? It'll prevent scammers from entering our forum plus this will also prevent Alt accounts which commonly makes a lot of spams.  

No, i don't like the idear... What if the database get hacked again? The hacker would have doxxable materials on 1000's of crypto enthousiasts... Some 3 letter agencies would dream about this opportunity, as would several gangs that would now be able to come to our houses and beat up our familys untill we fork over our private keys...

Bitcoin is about freedom, this includes the freedom to remain anonymous if you wish so (for example, the forum's founder is still completely anonymous).
Also, bitcointalk is a community forum, so the term 'Customer' doesn't apply here (imho).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:41:36 AM

Then Satoshi would never come back for sure Sad

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 09:10:56 AM

How about using the search feature before you make a redundant thread?

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
BigDig

Activity: 277
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 09:18:13 AM

Perhaps the idea itself is not bad. However, we must take into account the specifics of the community and remember that many here are true believers in crypto and anonymity for them is a very important part of the crypto community.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 09:22:07 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2018, 10:58:17 AM by mdayonliner

This has been talked numerous time my mate. The whole idea behind this forum is to give the right of being anonymous for the members. Even when we register they do not ask for email verification to keen you anonymous and you are asking for KYC  Cheesy

People do not want to disclose their identity these days. We are living in decentralised age.

update:

Click here if unable to see image

hey Satoshi responded  Cheesy

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
izanagi narukami
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 09:23:48 AM

Anyway, public forum doesn't need any KYC except this forum has transaction feature that require some identity to verification

I'll get right on that, just as soon as hell freezes over.

Smiley
coin5haker

Activity: 350
Merit: 16

~bitcoin enthusiast~

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 09:24:32 AM

I think doing KYC for bounty hunters is already too much, but I understand, that scammers pushed to this measure. I am against KYC here, we have merit system which quite successful against new accounts farming and DT team to take out old ones.

Abigail.Parsons

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 10:39:45 AM

No, i don't like the idear... What if the database get hacked again? The hacker would have doxxable materials on 1000's of crypto enthousiasts... Some 3 letter agencies would dream about this opportunity, as would several gangs that would now be able to come to our houses and beat up our familys untill we fork over our private keys...

Bitcoin is about freedom, this includes the freedom to remain anonymous if you wish so (for example, the forum's founder is still completely anonymous).
Also, bitcointalk is a community forum, so the term 'Customer' doesn't apply here (imho).

I wonder if we could figure a way of putting a forum on the blockchain and decentralising the data held. Considering you said this has been hacked before. I do think there would be a huge spike in quality of material on here. You do find quite allot on non comments you have to trawl through to get to the hidden gems.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 11:23:19 AM

Do you think requiring KYC here in bitcointalk a good idea?
answer: NO
are you a customer of bitcointalk.org? am I? are we? Roll Eyes
what kind of financial transaction conducted between bitcointalk.org and us?
this is a forum where we discuss about all things related to bitcoin, KYC has no place here!

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 11:56:03 AM

I wonder if we could figure a way of putting a forum on the blockchain and decentralising the data held. Considering you said this has been hacked before. I do think there would be a huge spike in quality of material on here. You do find quite allot on non comments you have to trawl through to get to the hidden gems.

Well, a blockchain is a decentralised, trustless, immutable database. Using a blockchain for a public forum is an idear that might have an application somewhere, however i don't think it's a good idear to move bitcointalk to a blockchain based data storage system.
Why? Several reasons:
1) If you want bitcointalk to be 100% decentralised, you'll also need the (salted) password hashes on a blockchain, meaning that anybody anywhere will have access to the hashing function AND the hashed password (brute-force???)
2) It'll be impossible for the mods to delete spam, at least, they can probably add a block with information that disables a certain post, but the data itself will always be in the blockchain
3) thousands of posts get made on bitcointalk on any given day... Imagine the amount of data that would have to be transmitted and verified by all those nodes

So, to sum it up, i don't think that a blockchain based approach is the correct approach for the bitcointalk database, it defenatly doesn't solve the KYC question made by the OP Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 12:47:54 PM

Cheesy Grin This really got me laughing. It's very obvious that  the legend cherish his privacy so much, main reason no one knows him physically. 
Introducing KYC in bitcointalk is not a bad idea, but  I think its obstruction of people's privacy and many won't like this. Bitcointalk is all about bitcoin and the true concept which bitcoin is about is privacy maintenance. It would be disappointing if a forum like this is not exhibiting an example of what it's all about. Moreover,  apart from shit posting, we don't have any coin attached to the users account that needs protecting.
change7

Activity: 175
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 12:48:52 PM

I think that will be a very welcomed and good idea to help keep the forum sane. If KYC is used, it will help ensure each person has just one account. I think if kyc is applied, them merits should be removed because KYC will ensure each person is solely entitled to one account.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 02:42:00 PM

I think that will be a very welcomed and good idea to help keep the forum sane. If KYC is used, it will help ensure each person has just one account. I think if kyc is applied, them merits should be removed because KYC will ensure each person is solely entitled to one account.

Merit is here to determine quality posts it has nothing to do with how many accounts do you have  Smiley
You may not know that the forum does not stop you creating more than one account. So KYC issue is not valid here.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:04:17 PM

The simple answer to your question is no. We currently have the trust system to know who are we dealing with as well as give them a feedback in order to make other people know if he or she can be trusted or not and if they don't have any previous transaction  or its their first time to make one we have trusted members who can be an escrow to their negotiations, also why would you require KYC if it will only be beneficial to one section (Marketplace) in the forum? Because it will most likely stop potential members in joining in the forum because they want to keep their personal information private.

Also KYC won't prevent spams and shit post in the first place, what they will only stop is of course preventing existing members in creating another account, and yeah having multiple accounts are allowed(just take a look at forum rule #18) in the forum. The problem it created is this users with multiple accounts are spamming their way on campaign signatures and I think with DT members tagging spammers, alt accounts as well as account sales and with the merit system in place, this alt account holders will personally give up on their own.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
coinoutraged

Activity: 68
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:41:55 PM

That's not a good idea. A competitor of Bitcointalk would rise above it. And what new person to Bitcoin is going to create an account when create a Bitcointalk account. Especially being iffy about something that's new to them.

I know someone who was going to buy some Bitcoin from coinbase, but didn't because it required such information as what they do for a living.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: