Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:36:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Dollar  (Read 1983 times)
omar (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 10:16:28 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 10:37:46 PM by omar

Each bitcoin has 8 digits after the decimal point.

This was a great idea when bitcoin started and its value relative to fiat currencies was very low. But now with the price of bitcoin reaching close to $1000 USD, it's a good time to introduce a new convention: the Bitcoin Dollar (BTC$), where there is just two digits after the decimal point.

Thus, 1 bitcoin = 1,000,000 Bitcoin Dollars
that is: 1 Bitcoin Dollar = 100 Satoshi

Why? Because people are not used to currencies having 8 digits of resolution. As bitcoin goes mainstream changing it to 2 digits makes it easier for people to deal with it and helps them understand that when they buy 1 bitcoin they are really buying 1 million bitcoin dollars. So rather than looking expensive compared to country backed dollars, it looks inexpensive.

I know we could also call it a micro bitcoin, but using that terminology just makes it sound like you are getting something really small. Also it doesn't give you any idea about how many digits are after the decimal. People already know that a dollar has two digits after the decimal.

Bitcoin clients and sites should allow users the option to view amounts in Bitcoin Dollars. Sites can gauge what percent of users enable this option and if a majority start using it then it could be made the default and viewing amounts in bitcoins being optional.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markjamrobin

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:20:35 PM

This was a great idea when bitcoin started and its value relative to fiat currencies was very low. But now with the price of bitcoin reaching close to $1000 USD, it's a good time to introduce a new convention: the Bitcoin Dollar (BTC$), where there is just two digits after the decimal point.

that is: 1 Bitcoin Dollar = 100 sathoshis

Why? Because people are not used to currencies having 8 digits of resolution. As bitcoin goes mainstream changing it to 2 digits makes it easier for people to deal with it and helps them understand that when they buy 1 bitcoin they are really buying 1 million bitcoin dollars. So rather than looking expensive compared to country backed dollars, it looks inexpensive.

I know we could also call it a micro bitcoin, but using that terminology just makes it sound like you are getting something really small. Also it doesn't give you any idea about how many digits are after the decimal. People already know that a dollar has two digits after the decimal.

Bitcoin clients and sites should allow users the option to view amounts in Bitcoin Dollars. Sites can gauge what percent of users enable this option and if a majority start using it then it could be made the default viewing amounts in bitcoins being optional.

This is wrong for one main reason; if we add additional decimal points, your "Bitcoin Dollar" is now ambiguous. Secondly, numbers would be too big, who wants to buy a beer for 3,500 units? If the point of this is psychological, the units go against that.

And you spelled satoshis wrong.

And that unit is already a UBTC.

g3raint

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:21:45 PM

+1  simplicity will improve acceptance.

G

------------------------------------------------------
BTC: 1NTs92VRppSsSeYLAXJtP1SxAzBwYk8JeH
------------------------------------------------------
omar (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 10:42:12 PM

This is wrong for one main reason; if we add additional decimal points, your "Bitcoin Dollar" is now ambiguous. Secondly, numbers would be too big, who wants to buy a beer for 3,500 units? If the point of this is psychological, the units go against that.

Thanks, fixed the typo.

Is there really a plan to add more decimals?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the design of bitcoin allows that.

In some countries paying 3,500 units for a beer is normal :-)
markjamrobin

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:02:15 PM

Thanks, fixed the typo.

Is there really a plan to add more decimals?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the design of bitcoin allows that.

In some countries paying 3,500 units for a beer is normal :-)

The protocol would allow for a fork to add decimal places, if necessary. Whether that happens depends on BTC value. If a satoshi becomes too large of a unit, then it will be.

And why create a new unit, instead of using the already well established UBTC?

solomon

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:56:52 AM

bitcoin dollar is a mouthful, and you are forced to say the whole thing to avoid confusion with either bitcoin or dollars.

How do you say uBTC? 'u-bit'?

We should keep it simple. bits.

1BTC = 1 000 000 bits

It's easy, it has historically been a unit of currency, and it's already in the name!

'Do you accept bitcoin?'

'Yes, it's 250 bits'

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
caminilegroup

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 03:07:44 AM

How do you say uBTC? 'u-bit'?

μBTC = micro BTC
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 04:36:37 AM

While I am from the USA, Bitcoin is for the world.  We would have to have 'the Bitcoin Euro' etc.....

I think mBTC is the answer for now.  Someday exchange rates will stabilize and it will be just like translating between Euros and Dollars. 

bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:39:05 AM

that is: 1 Bitcoin Dollar = 100 sathoshis

Bitcoin clients and sites should allow users the option to view amounts in Bitcoin Dollars. Sites can gauge what percent of users enable this option and if a majority start using it then it could be made the default viewing amounts in bitcoins being optional.

I disagree with this.  There are many countries where a beer costs 3,500 units, and there is nothing wrong with that there.  It's just a matter of getting used to it.  What IS difficult to get used to though, is workign with currency in 0.0xxxxx format.

btcperth

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:03:07 AM

I like bits, as previously mentioned it was historically used to refer to 1/8th of a Spanish Dollar ... because they were easy to split into eight pieces (another term was "pieces of eight").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_%28money%29
omar (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 07:32:06 AM

Good to see that Coinbase is now allowing prices to be shown with just 2 decimals. They are calling the new unit "bits". A bit confusing, but I like it better than micro-bitcoin. Maybe people will start calling this unit the bit dollar and sathoshis would be bit cents.

http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-announces-pricing-bits-bitcoin-buyback-option/
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:42:04 AM

A BitDollar?Huh

People shouldn't be getting confused as they can see the prices/balance in wallets in dollars or euro.
So really, they can go with what they are used to.

I don't understand why that is confusing to some people.
If you want to buy $20 worth of BTC then that's what you will get.

If you want to buy a product that is $20 worth of BTC, that is what you will pay.

railzand

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:55:49 AM

Oh god please let this madness stop

SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:01:13 AM

Paying for things in such big amounts might be confusing at first, but people will get used to it. I think people will still just pay for stuff with the fiat value anyway so it'll avoid most confusion.

rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

bitdollar? wait will there be a biteuro bityen then?
srgkrgkj
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:12:05 AM

Bitcoin dollar all the way Tongue

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:13:29 AM

Bitcoin dollar all the NO way Tongue

FTFY    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:25:02 AM

so many names for the same amount of bitcoins.

i really hope a consensus can be reached, as long as it's not bit. (and bitcoin dollar is a pretty terrible name as well)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:19:54 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2014, 02:05:06 PM by franky1

so many names for the same amount of bitcoins.

i really hope a consensus can be reached, as long as it's not bit. (and bitcoin dollar is a pretty terrible name as well)

and bitcoins is 8 letters long (think decimals of a bitcoin)

bit is 3 letters long

(pre-empting a rebuttle)

better then zib.. zib has no relation to bitcoin and sounds foreign
bit is atleast part of a bitcoin.. literally and financially.

let me guess you want 100sat to be called a bitcoin. so you can shout to the world you finally have 10 bitcoins.. while the world laughs back at you and say you only have a dollar in reality. thats like calling a ounce gold coin, a tonne of gold.

all of these discussions and more can b read over 100 different threads as of autumn 2013.. its now boring, th majority that bothered to vote prefer bit, and many service providers are already rolling with it..

...moving on with our lives

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 02:02:31 PM

BitPay and Coinbase agree.

http://blog.bitpay.com/2014/05/02/bitpay-bitcoin-and-where-to-put-that-decimal-point.html

http://blog.coinbase.com/post/89405189782/its-bits

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: